Shinola (w/ Campfire Audio) Canfield IEM & Canfield Pro IEM
Nov 15, 2017 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
S070_QUAD_IN_EAR_BLACK_PVD_PERSPECTIVE_W5_F_LAYERED_RGB.jpg
Canfield Pro IEM - Black
636462646340451589-S070-QUAD-IN-EAR-SPACE-GREY-PVD-PERSPECTIVE-W6-F2-LAYERED-RGB.jpg
Canfield Pro IEM - Silver
S081_DYNAMIC_IN_EAR_BLACK_PVD_PERSPECTIVE_W6_F_LAYERED_RGB.jpg
Canfield IEM - Black

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/11/14/shinola-launches-new-canfield-headphone-collection/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/11/14/16644206/shinola-headphones-announced-canfield

https://www.shinola.com/audio/all/headphones.html

The Canfield Pro In-Ear Monitors - $495 USD

- Transducer Type: Quad Balanced Armature Drivers
- Frequency Response: 10Hz – 20KHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: < 1%
- Impedance: 37 Ω _@ 1KHz
- Sound Pressure Level: 102 dB

The Canfield In-Ear Monitors - $195 USD

- Transducer Type: 8.5MM Beryllium Dynamic Driver
- Frequency Response: 10Hz – 20KHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: < 1%
- Impedance: 16.5 Ω _@ 1KHz
- Sound Pressure Level: 104 dB

Not too much info on these since they won't be available until December and they aren't on the Shinola website yet.
But the fact that Campfire Audio was involved in creating these has me very interested! :nerd:

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 39
Those do look cool! Couldn't find any info about the Pros on their website though. I hope they're also made of stainless steel. Since this is a collaboration with CA I'm interested!

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 39
Incoming soon for review (Shinola Canfield Pro iem)! Of course, curious because of @KB involvement. With Ken behind the tuning, gotta be good :wink:

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 39
They're back from the dead! :angel:

I had pretty much written these off as some more 'would've-been-nice' pieces of vaporware.

I really hope these are good. But as much as I like Ken, his tunings are kinda all over the map, a lil' somethin' for everybody. So we shall see how these turn out. :thinking:

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 39
They're back from the dead! :angel:

I had pretty much written these off as some more 'would've-been-nice' pieces of vaporware.

I really hope these are good. But as much as I like Ken, his tunings are kinda all over the map, a lil' somethin' for everybody. So we shall see how these turn out. :thinking:

I think Pro version is going to be released in a few weeks, so yeah, it's official.

May 29, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 39
Can you say Canfield?

IMG_4399_1.jpg IMG_4421.JPG

Anyone want some impressions or have specific questions for me?

May 29, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 39
Impression please

Canfield IEM:

Relaxed sound signature with a mellow midrange, gentle bass response, and resolving treble. Excellent spatial cues, and very fine control of the upper-register. Tonality is very natural with all but a mild hint of warmth.

IEM Pro:

Far more sensitive. It has a comparatively brighter sound signature with a more lively sound signature. Captures echoes and reverb with superb clarity. Overall timbre is very life-like. The Canfield IEM Pro is a U-shaped IEM in the truest sense of the word. Bass response is weaker on the Pro than the regular Canfield IEM.

These two IEMs scream "Campfire Audio" and have some striking similarities to existing CA products. I am excited to get these reviews out, since these products, despite being decidedly less expensive than many of the things that were sent to me recently, have intrigued me.

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 39
Just got a pair of these while back home in Detroit a few weeks ago, not much of an IEM guy but these are fantastic (bought a pair of FiiO F9 Pros a few months back to test the waters, nice but not impressive compared to my B&W P9s -- different beasts I know). Looking forward to seeing some more Head-Fi reviews on these things, I feel like they deserve some attention.

Just for kicks I swapped Amp1 back into my DX200 (I use Amp7) to try the Canfield Pros with a 2.5mm balanced cable and I think they really soared with a balanced cable. Has me thinking I should get Amp8 and a 4.4mm balanced cable for these. Of course, the stock Shinola SE cable is super nice and sounds fantastic out of Amp7.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 39
Interested. Would love to see a $500 IEM that competes with all the 1K + ones out there now.

For sure, this is not it... And in general, how can you have one iem to compete with so many other sound signatures and driver configs? :wink: It will be up to a personal preference. For example, IT04 is a killer iem, but if you want more bass slam you are not gonna like it. Or another $500, UM Pro50 is great but not for those who want higher resolution or transparency. The same with EM5, might be too much resolution and analytical details. Those are just examples of 3x $500 iems. All is a matter of a personal preference, regardless of price. Just like I found Canfield Pro to be not my cup of tea, the reason I skipped that review. But there are others who love it and enjoy it.

Aug 29, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 39
Just like I found Canfield Pro to be not my cup of tea, the reason I skipped that review.

Bummer! I was hoping you were going to review them, I enjoy reading your reviews! But spot on post. Personal preference is the big factor. I don't have great IEM experience, but I really like the Canfield Pros. I find myself reaching for them over my P9s often, but we are still in the honeymoon phase to be sure. Will see if my opinion sours on them later.

Would really love to hear a $1000+ IEM somewhere down the line :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #15 of 39
For sure, this is not it... And in general, how can you have one iem to compete with so many other sound signatures and driver configs? :wink: It will be up to a personal preference. For example, IT04 is a killer iem, but if you want more bass slam you are not gonna like it. Or another $500, UM Pro50 is great but not for those who want higher resolution or transparency. The same with EM5, might be too much resolution and analytical details. Those are just examples of 3x $500 iems. All is a matter of a personal preference, regardless of price. Just like I found Canfield Pro to be not my cup of tea, the reason I skipped that review. But there are others who love it and enjoy it.

True. I guess I mean a tuning I enjoy giving me 95% of what a comparable tuned 1K+ IEM gives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back