Shielded power cord suggestion?
Oct 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I have to run my power cord and sub cable side by side around a corner (no other way save drilling holes) so I need a nicely shielded one. Can someone suggest a modestly priced one? I'd like to stay under $40 shipped if possible and a right angle plug on the sub end would be tres bueno.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Oct 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 10
i prefer unshielded for power amps/subs. shielded for everything digital.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i prefer unshielded for power amps/subs. shielded for everything digital.

Pretty sure he wants a shielded cable since he's running it parallel to his sub's signal cable which could cause it to pick up harmful interference.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure he wants a shielded cable since he's running it parallel to his sub's signal cable which could cause it to pick up harmful interference.

That is exactly the issue. I've contacted some companies and resellers and almost everyone assumes I'm worried about signals into the power cable....not the interferance it might cause.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 10
....speaking of which ...and fostering a bit of constructive thread drift: What do people do to manage the "bad spaghetti" behind their systems? I'm currently trying to shield/isolate all the signal cables but it's kind of hard given the lack of space and the fact that, often the power cords are right next to the signal cables....and what do people do about non-removable cords? My old Onkyo TX-SV90Pro has a pretty unremarkable power cord (read: Unshielded, ungrounded, thin insulator). I'm really not up for swapping out the cord (at this moment).

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....speaking of which ...and fostering a bit of constructive thread drift: What do people do to manage the "bad spaghetti" behind their systems? I'm currently trying to shield/isolate all the signal cables but it's kind of hard given the lack of space and the fact that, often the power cords are right next to the signal cables....and what do people do about non-removable cords? My old Onkyo TX-SV90Pro has a pretty unremarkable power cord (read: Unshielded, ungrounded, thin insulator). I'm really not up for swapping out the cord (at this moment).

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you find issues with your system after running the unshielded cables. The only ones I've ever had an issue with were some really cheap Radioshack RCA cables that picked up RFI intermittently and I swapped those out for the Audio-GD Snake once I got the DAC and have had no issues. My receiver has one of those cheap, unshielded cable and it runs parallel to another power cable as well as a few feet of speaker cable: no problems. As far as cable clutter, I have most of my audio cables uh... spaghetti-like in a corner that's fairly inaccessible so they're not in the way of anything. I don't really mind the way it looks there, but for all of my cables connected to my computer I have them grouped with twist-ties since it gets very, very messy having 3 monitors..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back