Shelter retipping
Sep 13, 2009 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

WyldRage

100+ Head-Fier
My Shelter 501 II cartridge appears to have reached the end of its life: there are increasing amounts of noise coming out of the right channel. I'm trying to find out if Shelter is offering retipping services and, if so, the cost and how to contact them.

Any help is appreciated.

Sep 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by WyldRage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Shelter 501 II cartridge appears to have reached the end of its life: there are increasing amounts of noise coming out of the right channel. I'm trying to find out if Shelter is offering retipping services and, if so, the cost and how to contact them.

Any help is appreciated.

Shelter does offer re-tipping. Actually you trade in your old cartridge and they send you a re-tipped one. Normally you would make arrangements through a Shelter authorized dealer. You could email Axiss Audio at the link below and ask. They're the North American distributor for Shelter. It's not cheap. IIRC it's about 2/3 the price of a new one.

AXISS AUDIO

For a cheaper alternative, you could look at an aftermarket re-tipping service. Soundsmith is very highly regarded. You could even ask them for references. I had a Grace F9E re-tipped by them and I was very satisfied. I couldn't tell you if it sounded exactly like the original since it had been a while since I heard it working properly.

Soundsmith: phono cartridge retipping and rebuilding

Users who are viewing this thread

Back