Shellbrook Audio Lab integrity restored, IMO!
May 11, 2005 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mike-b

New Head-Fier
I read all the threads regarding the "Shellbrook Woes" and found that most of those threads had been written by people who had NO experience with Shellbrook Audio Lab. I took a chance and contacted Drew Dunn and discovered a man willing to admit his mistakes and rebound.

He sent me a Maxi Moy, I liked it so much I gave it to my best friend and I then ordered the Ascent, which I had auditioned recently, for my HD650. The amps are clean, sound great, and the service is beyond reproach.

Kudos to Shellbrook.

I think his amps are excellent values for the money spent.

mike-b

May 11, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 25
...but a thank you to this forum for my decision to contact Drew Dunn at Shellbrook. Someone mentioned, in another thread, that Drew's customers were remiss in giving some positive feedback about his products. Sometimes guilt by association can be a real bummer.

And some of the flaming against Shellbrook I read in this forum was enough to make my skin crawl. So I guess casting the first stone comes easily for the uninformed. There is such a fine line between stupidity and ignorance. I guess it depends on which side of the line you are on.

I have no regrets about my association with Shellbrook. Amplication is so subjective that any amp review can be taken with a grain of salt. Are there better amps out there? Again, a matter of opinion.

But ya know what? All this doesn't matter, because the sublime music that I am listening to is emanating from a device that was put together by a man who believes in his product and his craft, as do I.

Thanks Head-Fi,

mike-b

May 11, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

...but a thank you to this forum for my decision to contact Drew Dunn at Shellbrook. Someone mentioned, in another thread, that Drew's customers were remiss in giving some positive feedback about his products. Sometimes guilt by association can be a real bummer.

Satisfied customers posting positive remarks, imo, would not make the ailing customers feel any better.

Quote:

And some of the flaming against Shellbrook I read in this forum was enough to make my skin crawl. So I guess casting the first stone comes easily for the uninformed. There is such a fine line between stupidity and ignorance. I guess it depends on which side of the line you are on.

You kinda lost me on this one. So are you calling the flamers (ie then unsatisfied customers) ignorant or stupid?

Quote:

I have no regrets about my association with Shellbrook. Amplication is so subjective that any amp review can be taken with a grain of salt. Are there better amps out there? Again, a matter of opinion.

I dont think that has ever been an issue.

Quote:

But ya know what? All this doesn't matter, because the sublime music that I am listening to is emanating from a device that was put together by a man who believes in his product and his craft, as do I.

I dont think that the quality was ever debated.

Quote:

I took a chance and contacted Drew Dunn and discovered a man willing to admit his mistakes and rebound.

You could just have paid more attention in your searching, Drew made various honest posts about his mistakes and goals to "rebound."

- Ivan C.

May 11, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 25
eyevancsu said:
Satisfied customers posting positive remarks, imo, would not make the ailing customers feel any better.
eyevancsu said:
Venting customer service concerns in a forum is not the way to proceed with any business transaction. Any beef you have with a seller is with the seller, not the whole world. Negatives always outweigh the positives. I could write a thousand kudos and one complaint. Guess which one you would remember!

You kinda lost me on this one. So are you calling the flamers (ie then unsatisfied customers) ignorant or stupid?

Again you miss the the point, I read all the threads and I empathize with those who were caught in the dilemma of Drew's troubles. But I also read crap from those who had no dealings with Shellbrook. What right did they have to venture comment or even opinions on things they knew nothing about? It is so easy to hide behind a sign-on and not take responsibility for one's actions. Ignorant or stupid? Who's to say? You choose. Common sense provides an answer in most cases.

You could just have paid more attention in your searching, Drew made various honest posts about his mistakes and goals to "rebound."

I communicated with Drew personally and we discussed his unfortunate chain of events at length. It was HIS original threads to recify the situations that aided MY decision in becoming a customer. If I hadn't paid attention to all that came before, you wouldn't be commenting on something YOU knew nothing about. Why search when I can go to the source?

mike-b

May 11, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 25
mike-b: I hope your championing this cause doesn't backfire on Shellbrook. I don't think I'm the only one who feels there's something odd about your sudden appearance here. You have to admit, it's strange that someone who was actively shopping for a headphone amplifier would lurk here at Head-fi .... never once get involved in any discussions, post a question or make a comment about any of the dozens of amps available ... zero in on one manufacturer who just happened to be embroiled in controversy ... contact them only ... buy not one but two of their amps ...." I liked it so much I gave it to my best friend " ... become an expert on the entire situation that caused the controversy, and then join Head-fi solely to champion Shellbrook's cause, telling everyone how unfairly Shellbrook has been treated, and touting their products.

I'm mean really, some members might think there was more to all this than meets the eye.

AFAIK, Drew has been doing a commendable job of acknowledging and dealing with the problems he had, and has slowly been regaining his reputation the best way possible ..... by his actions. I don't think your suddenly appearing here on a mission making multiple identical posts praising Shellbrook and telling everyone what a raw deal he got, is going to help matters. In fact, it could cast a shadow of suspicion on Shellbrook itself. Members might start questioning your impartiality and ask themselves if you are really who and what you say you are..... an arms-length, uninvolved Shellbrook customer. This would reflect negatively on Shellbrook Labs, which is something Shellbrook neither wants or needs. IMO.

May 11, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 25
Wow, paranoia alert, track his IP!
evil_smiley.gif

OP calls the disappointed customers "flamers" who shouldn't use this board to "flame". That's out of order - headfiers by and large are not your average net trolls and they are not idiots. Anyways, by the same logic, he shouldn't use this board to praise, either.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with letting others know one's experiences dealing with a vendor - but probably the feedback forum is sufficient for that.

May 11, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 25
DISCLAIMER - I HAVE TIES TO DREW FROM SHELLBROOK, IN THE FORM OF A GROUP BUY WHICH HE AND I CO-LED

That said, I'd think that the manner in which Drew has addressed his own faults makes it highly unlikely that'd he create an AE to post about some false experience with Shellbrook to try and bolster his image. He's keenly aware of how savy the average Head-Fi user is and knows how quickly something like that would get sniffed out.

Before we all start crying conspiracy why doesn't a mod track this particular user and report back if something note worthy is found. In the mean time why don't we all just back the heck off.

Nate

May 11, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 25
Whoa this is a wierd thread.
redface.gif

Don't know drew or his amps but the head-fi community is still in great need of dependable diyers who sell affordable amps to this community. In that light I hope he can stay in business and deliver his product in a timely fashion.

May 11, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 25
You folks have been reading too many conspiracy theories.

Two weeks ago I never heard of Drew Dunn and Shellbrook. I bought HD650's from HeadRoom, looked at their amps and decided to shop elsewhere. Came to this forum read the threads, good and bad, and made my decision to contact Drew. I liked the look of his amps, read some positive feedback, and contacted him. It was that simple.

The upside to all this is that he answered my questions, allayed any concerns I had about his misfortunes, and came through with two amps, the Maxi Moy and the Ascent. I liked the Maxi so much I gave it to my best friend as a birthday gift, since he was looking also. Price was a major concern in this venture so I wasn't about to spend needlessly. I wanted the best bang for the buck and Drew has not disappointed.

If my positive response to Shellbrook hurts his business, then it is you the prospective buyer, who is losing out. I didn't expect miracles from Drew but I was treated the way I like to be treated by a businessman.

I feel the same way about HeadRoom. I love the service, the communication and the speed at which they processed my order. I like their amps but I think $500 (The one I was interested in.) is a little much for a headphone amp, IMO. Kudos to HeadRoom. I will certainly deal with them again.

If I did anything, I dusted a few cobwebs off this forum and woke a few of you up. A forum is a place of INFO not INSULT. If I give positive info about a situation, take it for what it's worth, not as an attempt to stir up the masses. I would say the same for any amp maker under the same circumstances, if they deliver to my satisfaction. Is that so hard to fathom?"

Regardless of what I say you will read into it what you will.

mike-b

May 11, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 25
I don't know anything about Shellbrook audio, but as a general comment, I don't thin integrity is about a particular a customer having a good experience, but rather all customers having a good experience with a manufacturer. Of course, there will be a few hiccups every now and then, but they should be few and far between.

May 11, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 25
FYI: All fifteen of the amp manufacturers that I contacted regarding headphone amps, came from recommendations on this website. I had been considering a headphone amp for over three months. I guess Mr. Dunn got lucky. Or maybe it was I who lucked out.

mike-b

May 11, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I don't know anything about Shellbrook audio, but as a general comment, I don't thin integrity is about a particular a customer having a good experience, but rather all customers having a good experience with a manufacturer. Of course, there will be a few hiccups every now and then, but they should be few and far between.

Integrity has nothing to do with customer satisfaction. In a general sense, 'integrity’ refers to a quality of a person's character. In this case, it is not the trait of the customer, but that of the seller.

The fact that Drew Dunn honestly admitted his mistakes and made every effort to rectify them shows he has integrity. It is this integrity that will shape and determine his business acumen and any continued success for Shellbrook Audio Lab.

mike-b

May 11, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

And some of the flaming against Shellbrook I read in this forum was enough to make my skin crawl. So I guess casting the first stone comes easily for the uninformed. There is such a fine line between stupidity and ignorance.

If it had simply been a post saying you bought two amps, were treated well and were satisfied with the product and service ... in the feedbac forum, I wouldn't be concerned. But your judgement and chastisement of other members who had actual, real problems with Shellbrook, as well as others who perhaps were not directly involved but who were regular active members here as the problems were going on, seems a little over-zealous....especially since you were not involved in any of the problems, have only been around for a few weeks, and apparently have only heard one side of the story ... Drew's. Somehow you believe that since you were treated well, everything is fine and dandy and everybody who had a problem is walking that fine line between "stupidity and ignorance". Seems like you're doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing....making uninformed assumptions and throwing out insults. A little much for a first time poster, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back