Shearwater- The Golden Archipelago (Feb. 23, 2010)
Dec 23, 2009 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SweetAdeline

500+ Head-Fier
I know there were a bunch of us that loved Rook, so we may as well start the hype now for the 2010 album of the year.

shearwatercov452.jpg

01 Meridian
02 Black Eyes
03 Landscape at Speed
04 Hidden Lakes
05 Corridors
06 God Made Me
07 Runners of the Sun
08 Castaways
09 An Insular Life
10 Uniforms
11 Missing Islands

The new track streaming- Castaways- Pitchfork: Shearwater Share The Golden Archipelago Details, New Song

I mostly just wanted to talk about how awesome the new song is. The vocals sound as good as ever, and I love the drums in it. But thoughts on the cover art as well? Also, as much as I love Rook, I think I wouldn't mind this album sounding a bit more like Palo Santo. Am I alone in that?

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, as much as I love Rook, I think I wouldn't mind this album sounding a bit more like Palo Santo. Am I alone in that?

I'd like it to sound more like the original version of Palo Santo before they signed to Matador and remastered it, that would be cool. Rook did sound a lot better, and the songs were great too, but I think JM may need to tone down the operatic vocals just a bit for wider appeal. And crank up the rock. When it all comes together, they are one of the best, but I love everything they do. From the sound of the single, this will be a fitting conclusion to the triptych, and I'm anxious to hear more. Thanks for the word. There's gonna be some good stuff coming around in 2010.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 11
That song sounds great! I'm not too familiar with Shearwater but have heard the odd song or two on sat radio. This album is now on my 'to buy' list.

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 11
Loved Palo Santo but was really busy when I bought Rook and haven't gotten around to spinning it much since unforunately.

will make sure to listen before the next one comes out

and at the very least am looking forward to catching them on tour to support this release.

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 11
Looking forward to it as well. Meiburg's vocals on Rook were amazing. At times it was a bit operatic but I liked it because it matched the epic level of the music.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 11
I liked "Everybody Makes Mistakes," loved "Palo Santo," but while I liked "Rook" I was disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on it but it might be the vocals. I'll be getting the new one but I think I would rather that they take a look backward than a step forward.

Mar 7, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked "Everybody Makes Mistakes," loved "Palo Santo," but while I liked "Rook" I was disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on it but it might be the vocals. I'll be getting the new one but I think I would rather that they take a look backward than a step forward.

I listened to it twice yesterday. I really like it. For whatever reason, I seem to like it better than "Rook," but not as much as "Palo Santo." Time and future listening will settle the arrangement for me eventually. It definitely seems like an album that you should listen to all the way through rather than by listening to isolated, random tracks.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 11
Just wanted to refresh this thread, after listening to Black Eyes, pure bliss, and the drums are awsome,
you should crank up the volume to really appreciate,
overall I think the album is pretty good, maybe the most underrated 2010 album,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back