Shaving, gents
May 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #556 of 943
My Cella and Clubman arrived last night, and I had a very good shave. I am really liking the smell of the Clubman, and the Cella performed well also. I am still trying to get the hang of shaving with Feather blades. Sometimes I get wonderful, effortless shaves from them, and other times I get irritation and weepers :frowning2:

May 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #557 of 943
make sure your angle of attack is correct and exert no pressure. Let the weight of the shaver do the work for you. A way to ensure the proper angle is to place the head of the shave at right angles to your face and then gently tilt the shaver until the blade barely touches your face. Also, make sure that you are lathering correctly and if you are new to de shaving, I would suggest doing at 2 with the grain passes.

edit: Feathers slices and dices my face. Much prefer the astras :)

May 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #558 of 943
Hot shower.  Step out and lather up.  Let the shaving cream sit on your face for a minute or two.  Shave.  Rinse face with cold water.

Taking the shower first and letting the shaving cream sit for a bit seems to help make for a much easier shave.  The cold water at the end feels nice.

YMMV

May 31, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #559 of 943
My new Dovo razor/brush stand to house my fav razor and brush! :D

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #561 of 943
I'd been using Geo. Trumper's lavendar shave cream with good results, but picked up a little container of Art Of Shaving's shaving cream.  Lathers up pretty well, and gives a good shave.  I like that I can get it locally, and haven't found the Trumper's anywhere in town.  I don't like how the Art of Shaving smells as well as I like the Trumper's.

I'm using no-name cheap blades from the drugstore (the ones in the steel and plastic case that everyone has under their own name) and am considering trying some others.  Had some of the Merkur blades and didn't find them worth the trouble of ordering versus the cheapies.

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #562 of 943
I don't care much for AoS cream, but their soap is top shelf. (Not the scent, though. The lemon's the least artificial scent.) Made by Valobra (or whoever also makes that)

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #563 of 943
I received this a while ago but haven't bothered to take a pic till today.

Georgetown Pottery G5 Shaving Scuttle Mug in Ivory and Green Oribe
Looks very pretty, well done!

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #564 of 943
Very nice mug!  I just figured out what I am going to tell my sister I want for my birthday (she does lots of clay pottery work) never even thought about it.

Updated from my post about a year ago, finally got around to trying my old safety razor I picked up at antique store (I usually just collect straight razors) and like it alot.  I just do one pass with my Dovo straight razor and get a perfect shave, but I can do a two pass shave with the "Clog Pruf Micromatic" single edge safety in much less time and get a pretty solid shave.  Zero irritation with it either.  So during the work week I use the safety for speed sake, and weekends I usually use the old Dovo.

On another note, if anyone has a heavy double edge they might want to sell, shoot me a PM.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #565 of 943
I use a straight Razor

have two

One is one of the last authentic Mother of Pearl Dovo stainless steel straight razor. It is a beauty. The edge on it sucks,

My Primary one is a Dovo faux tortoise shell carbon steel blade. That is my primary razor. Love it. Had it already 10 years. Still shaves closer than anything to include the 5 blade Fusion stuff. I shave today and won't get five o'clock shadow until the following day. No razer burn. No razor bumps. Steel against face with zero safety feature = MANLY. :wink:

PS. I have never knicked, cut, sliced or any other nonesense with a straight razor. Used to knick all the time with the Fusion blades.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #567 of 943
When my parents were getting excited today over a newspaper cupon of 30$ for a 24 pack of Gillette blades being a good buy, I decided enough is enough:

A Merkur 23C, along with a 25ct of Derby blades, and a 30ct of Dorco blades are on their way to me now, and for only ~$10 more than that 24ct of Gillette Mach 3 cartridges.

I'm sort of nervous, sort of excited

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #568 of 943
Quote:
When my parents were getting excited today over a newspaper cupon of 30$ for a 24 pack of Gillette blades being a good buy, I decided enough is enough:

A Merkur 23C, along with a 25ct of Derby blades, and a 30ct of Dorco blades are on their way to me now, and for only ~$10 more than that 24ct of Gillette Mach 3 cartridges.

I'm sort of nervous, sort of excited

Woo!  Dorco and Derby are good "beginner" blades so you'll do fine.  Take your time and stick to single pass until you get good at it.  Shave after you shower for easiest/smoothest learning experience.  If possible (depending on your work etc) let it go for a day or two longer than usual as it's a bit easier to shave when you have a few days growth in my opinion.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #569 of 943
So i finally last weekend used my last cartridge, so i decided to jump in to this whole DE thing, in an attempt to irritate my skin less and to save some money. Bought myself a merkur 1904 classic and 50 feather blades. Today i did my first shave. Last night i had opened everything up and put in one of the feathers, but decided against it this morning, so i put the Merkur blade that came with the razor in for this first shave. I dont have a bowl, or fancy cream or a brush or anything. I just used the same barbasol ive always used, and i loved it :D great shave, didnt really take any longer than before, and i got a better shave, took two with the grain passes. 

Way better than my Gillette Fusion Proglide jobby! now i just need the rest of the stuff, fancy shaving cream, brush and lather bowl to see how much better it can get.

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #570 of 943
Been shaving all week with my Merkur 23c. Wow, I'm loving it. Smooth shave, and I can get away with a cross-grain pass followed by an against-the-grain pass as long as I don't let it get too thick between shaves. I haven't nicked myself once, and I'm loving the close shave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back