Shaving, gents
Dec 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #512 of 943
Really tempted to try the Merkur 180 or edwin jagger DE89. Does it matter at entry level anyway?

Anything beats what I have at the moment though (turbo-something or other). I really don't want to have to do short strokes and little reruns, if that makes sense. If a DE razor makes shaving more efficient and closer, than i'm all for it.

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #513 of 943
Quote:
I was in Bath & Body Works and noticed that Bigelow now comes in a can. Picked one up for Dad - he seems to like it. Still can't get him to try a DE, though he isn't happy with cartridge prices.

I just picked up some Bigelow shaving creme and haven't used it yet, but how do you/dad like it? I have from a bar of Williams shaving soap and regular bar soap.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #514 of 943
My first choice for shaving creme is definitely Bigelow. I love that cooling effect, tingle. Great lather too. 
I recommend to try Feather blades if you still haven't. Very sharp, no irritation for me as with other blades, but these are not for beginners though. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #515 of 943
Well head-fiers, as a newbie to high quality audio, I am apparently an old hand at high quality shaving. 

I use a Le Grelot Thiers Issard straight razor with cocobolo scales

Generally I use Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap, as honestly, you just can't get a better shaving soap.

Vintage Blades latigo strop.  Rooney shaving brush.

Sometimes, I use DR Harris Arlington shaving soap and sometimes I used De Vergudle Hand shaving soap.  

Wet shaving changed my life.  I used to hate shaving and have horrible ingrown hairs and irritation everyday.  No more.

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #516 of 943
I gotta post pictures of my shaving equipment when I get back home, but I did amuse the guys up here at work when I got up a few nights ago and realized that I hadn't bought a can of shaving goo up here for shaving. Unfortunately, per safety regulations, I am required to stay clean shaven up her with minimal stubble. For the sake of speed, I use a Gillette Fusion (my dad got it for free) and canned gel and since I forgot the gel, I went the first day with a dry shave - most painful thing ever. I was able to alleviate the pain last night by using standard soap lather and lathering up about 3-4 times but dang, that Fusion is painful now that I switched to DE!!

In any case, my razors include:

1. Gillette 1970's Adjustable - Not sure of the model name, but it used to be my grandfathers and when he upgraded, he kept it as a backup and gave it to me when he heard I was getting into wet shaving

2. Noble DE razor - Chinese DE razor that grandfather bought for me as an alternative to the Gillette. Honestly, the weight of the Gillette plus its adjustability make it a better fit for me.

3. Gillette Fusion - My dad got if for free and couldn't be arsed with using it so he gave it to me. That was 11 years ago. Ever since I moved to wet shaving, this razor has been relegated to being my razor for use at work where I don't have the time to mess with wet shaving

4. 1980's Hitachi Electric razor - My dad owned this razor in the 80's and gave it to me about the same time as the Fusion in the event that I wanted to try electric razors. It works alright for trimming stubble down, but doesn't do too well otherwise, so I only use it every so often. Battery barely lasts longer than 15 minutes on a single charge, but it still holds a charge and the blades are still sharp enough to cut.

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #517 of 943
I have been recently introduced to DE wet shaving. This Christmas I received a Merkur long handle safety razor, complete with a badger brush and nice looking stand. It takes a little getting used to but I have been very happy with the experience. I bought a sampler pack of razor blades and am currently torn between the Feathers and the Personna blades. I also use the RazoRock Classic shaving cream and have been getting some wonderful shaves. I got really sick of seeing the outrageous prices they charge for the cartridge shavers, when blades can be had for less than 40 cents per blade.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #518 of 943
Well about to try the Merkur Futur I just got for the first time tonight with the platinum blades and the Pacific Shaving Company cream. I guess I had better dial it down to 1.5 ish to start and take my time?
Easy to justify the $ for a quality lasting ( hopefully )piece compared to constantly buying mach 3's. Should pay for itself soon enough.
No more warp speed like with the Mach3 though . I'm sort of initmidated as the guy said " and you will cut yourself " ha! We'll see.
Got a spare pack of 10 Merkur Super Platinum blades. How long are these roughly going to last me if someone's tried these exact ones?

well, here I go... got the needle and thread on standby
smile.gif

Success! only one tiny nick, and a few minor areas that seem a bit more difficult to reach due to not pressing as hard I guess. Nice initial wind-burn feeling. I hear that gets better after a few.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #519 of 943
Was away from my normal gear and had to grab a Fusion from the local mega mart. Did the same three-pass technique I use with my DE's (down/across/up).

TBH, it was no better than what I usually get from my regular stuff. Which this week was a 1960 Adjustable (Fat Boy) and a 1980 NOS Platinum Plus blade.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #520 of 943
I use a Gillete ProGlide, been shaving for a couple of years now and I still can't grow a full beard which annoys me a lot. So I end up shaving 1 or 2 times every 2 weeks. I hate how my face looks/feels after shaving haha.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #521 of 943
I use a DE for shaving at home, but when I'm at work, I don't have the time for prep, so I have been using a Fusion that I got free from my Dad, but I'm fed up of the uselessly expensive cartridges and the fact that they clog up so easily. I was looking at 'downgrading' the 5-blade razor to a 3-blade and I picked up a Schick Hydro3 today because, with the sale price, I got the handle+2 cartridges and an additional pack of cartridges (4) for about 3-4 dollars less than the 4 pack I'd have to buy for the Fusion. Before I crack this sucker open for use, does anyone have any opinions/comparisons of this razor and its performance-cost ratio with reference to the Gillette Mach3?

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #522 of 943
as of right now, i use a gillette tech with what ever blade i've got (it's a DE) works well. i use VDH soap (or what ever i've got lol) and an Omega boar brush. i've also got a 50's super speed. nice shaver!

ps: i'm 16, been shaving since i was 11. my hair is tougher than copper wire... not fun, and just 12 hours after getting a perfect BBS (babys butt smooth (go to badgerandblade.com)) shave i've got stubble again.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #523 of 943

Quote:
ps: i'm 16, been shaving since i was 11. my hair is tougher than copper wire... not fun, and just 12 hours after getting a perfect BBS (babys butt smooth (go to badgerandblade.com)) shave i've got stubble again.

Tell me about it :p I have a moustache and it really did start growing in around 10-11. I took a lot of crap for it until I graduated high school and everyone realized that the goatees it took them a month to develop sprouted onto my face within a week :D

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #524 of 943
damn you head-fi...  

I am using Panasonic 4 blade wet/dry electric but am looking at various sites for razors etc (seems like Merkur is popular here... lots of model #.... and still looking through the thread for other suggestions... is there a real appreciable difference between a $60 brush and a $300 ones... all badger hair.)

so many questions and so many optiosn ... :frowning2:

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #525 of 943
Like audio, I think it's a bit of difference and a bit of wishful thinking making up the rest, and this is someone who just spent $650 on headphones. Is a $300 brush really $250 better than the $50? Honestly? Probably not. To be honest, I find my $50 badger brush works just fine for what I want it to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back