Shaving, gents
Oct 3, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #497 of 943
Yes!

Consider trying a double-edged (DE) razor some time. I get better shaves and no skin problems. Costs much less than an electric or cartridge system, too.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #498 of 943

Quote:
Yes!
Consider trying a double-edged (DE) razor some time. I get better shaves and no skin problems. Costs much less than an electric or cartridge system, too.

I own a few I got at antique stores, but I went straight to the straight razor.  I need to remember to get some of the DE blades to try out my Parker.

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #499 of 943
if you use a straight as do i. just stick with it. it is the absolute premium shave. the reason it is not more popular is not a lot of people can do it without hurting themselves. you can try the de which is much better than a cartridge but it is still no straight. one who strop's and all(me) is rare now i think. i can say it is to de what de is to cartridges. however de is a lot easier to use. of course straight is even cheaper than de in the long run. once you have a razor,strop,rouge etc. there is no further investment. even though de blades are 25 cents.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #500 of 943
If you want to try DE, get a sampler pack of blades from West Coast Shaving or Bullgoose. DE blades are weirdly personal. Like headphones. :) You won't know what you like until you try a bunch of them and recommendations aren't relevant. You might hate my favorites. So try a bunch and figure out what you like.

I do want to go back to straights some day. They do give good shaves and I'm not afraid of them. The issue, for me, is maintenance and upkeep. It takes a lot longer than changing a DE blade. Since DE gives me a good shave, I'll stick with it until I have plenty of spare time for honing and stropping.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #503 of 943

I noticed that about the replaceable blade straight razor like the inexpensive one I posted up top that got me started.  I really liked the Derby blades, even though only a fraction of the blade is exposed, they seemed a little more forgiving if you made a pass at too much of an angle or something, I didn't get any razor burn at all with those.  I think when I get my upcoming raise at work I may "upgrade" my Dovo full hollow to a higher end one :)  Not really sure how much better it can be, but I like collecting them.  I'm a sucker for a $5 blade at an antique store. 

Quote:
If you want to try DE, get a sampler pack of blades from West Coast Shaving or Bullgoose. DE blades are weirdly personal. Like headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif
You won't know what you like until you try a bunch of them and recommendations aren't relevant. You might hate my favorites. So try a bunch and figure out what you like.
I do want to go back to straights some day. They do give good shaves and I'm not afraid of them. The issue, for me, is maintenance and upkeep. It takes a lot longer than changing a DE blade. Since DE gives me a good shave, I'll stick with it until I have plenty of spare time for honing and stropping.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #505 of 943
This thread reminds me of the hilarity I read in the Onion, right before gillette introduced their 5 blade razor.  Awesome article here.... funny as all he!!.  Thanks to Head-Fi's auto-profanity checkamacholic, you do need to replace the 4 stars in the link to the F-word after you click it (then reload).

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #506 of 943
the link doesn't work...

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #507 of 943

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #508 of 943
I was in Bath & Body Works and noticed that Bigelow now comes in a can. Picked one up for Dad - he seems to like it. Still can't get him to try a DE, though he isn't happy with cartridge prices.

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #509 of 943
Panasonic Wet/Dry Shaver gets the job done. Simply use it while showering since I need to shave my head anyway. Glad to have a backup Mach 3 though, for those times I forget to charge the shaver and it runs out of batteries mid-way! 

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #510 of 943

Users who are viewing this thread

Back