Shaving, gents
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #526 of 921

ZetsuBozu0012

100+ Head-Fier
... I'm beginning to suspect that many Head-Fi'ers are actually individuals with an innate tendency to strive for perfection in a variety of fields. I know that this post is quite a bit off-topic but... maybe extreme audiophiles actually have minor personality disorders? Maybe Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, though that sounds a bit extreme, haha.

Coffee, shaving, cooking: name it, there's a thread here on Head-Fi about it :))

Anyway, so as to avoid making this post completely irrelevant to the thread, can anyone recommend a good aftershave lotion for a college kid on a tight budget? Thanks :p

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #527 of 921

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus

Quote:
damn you head-fi...  

I am using Panasonic 4 blade wet/dry electric but am looking at various sites for razors etc (seems like Merkur is popular here... lots of model #.... and still looking through the thread for other suggestions... is there a real appreciable difference between a $60 brush and a $300 ones... all badger hair.)

so many questions and so many optiosn ... :frowning2:

I use the same brushes my grandfather uses in India to this date (he actually purchases them for me in prep for my trips to India. They cost Rs 50-60 apiece (Little more than $1). I have yet to have any real problem with them and have noted minimal difference between this one and the ones I can buy directly in my local grocery store for $10 with the sole exception of a substantially cheaper grade of plastic handle.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #528 of 921

mikop

100+ Head-Fier
Darn, just spent a little over $300  on Merkur 34C, some silvertip badger brush, a georgetown scuttle, some stand, some sample blades and a couple of different cream etc
A little more than I planned/needed to start, but I would like to not have to think about "upgrades" anytime soon :) *cross fingers*

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #529 of 921

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox

Quote:
Anyway, so as to avoid making this post completely irrelevant to the thread, can anyone recommend a good aftershave lotion for a college kid on a tight budget? Thanks :p

Make your own!

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #530 of 921

mikop

100+ Head-Fier
Ah, most of my shaving gear arrived today, just in time for my Friday night shave :)  Hopefully I don't go out with a chewed up face :)

Just have to be patient and wait a few weeks for my scuttle... and possibly pick up some more cream/after shave etc etc.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #531 of 921

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus

Quote:
Hopefully I don't go out with a chewed up face :)

If you haven't already, grab yourself a styptic pencil. You can get a nice cheap one for little under/over a dollar at your local Walmart. Works really well at cleaning up nicks quickly!

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #532 of 921

mikop

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks, ordered a few from amazon. Will  grab some locally if I drop by one of the stores.

Did only 2 pass tonight. nicked myself once and it wasn't bad.  

There is definitely room for improvement as far as my technique is concerned, but wow, even tho it wasn't a BBS shave, it was so refreshing that I definitely feel like a million buck coming out of it. It is like putting your game face on.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have read through the thread many time for inspiration. Even after just 1 shave, I am definitely a convert!

Apr 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #533 of 921

Battou62

100+ Head-Fier

Quote:
Ah, most of my shaving gear arrived today, just in time for my Friday night shave :)  Hopefully I don't go out with a chewed up face :)

Just have to be patient and wait a few weeks for my scuttle... and possibly pick up some more cream/after shave etc etc.

I recommend trying the red box Personna Blades as well. They are my current favorites next to the feather blades :)

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #534 of 921

Lou Erickson

100+ Head-Fier
Most weekdays I'm in a hurry and shave with a norelco electric.  I shouldn't, it's awful.

When I have time, I use a double-edge much like what you show there.

I like both the lavender and the Proraso, just as you have there, too.  Good choices.

That's about a year's worth of equipment, too, maybe more.  I discovered that if I bought that much, some of it went bad before I used it.

I'll suggest the "Signature" shaving cream from Nancy Boy as being very nice.

I liked Trumper's Coral Skin Food for an aftershave.  Very gentle and no alcohol.  It's rose scented, but that clears in a minute or two.  They do a lime that's the same stuff but a different scent.

I usually use the no-name cheapie blades from the drugstore; they work well enough and are cheap.  When shaving every day, a single blade lasts a week, and they're less than a dollar each.  Compare that to the five-blade monsters!

Must get back to it.  My face will thank me.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #535 of 921

nick n

Headphoneus Supremus
Been using the Pacific Shaving Company Shaving Oil solo and also in combination with their cream. The oil, honestly you only use maybe 10-12 drops almost nothing, but it works excellent. Cheap ( ~$7 Canadian ) and lasts for a crazily long time. Organic also like their other products.

Give it a shot it should also be especially effective with an electric. I use the Merkur safety with it..

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #537 of 921

nick n

Headphoneus Supremus
you know with the obsessive nature of this entire forum, there has to be someone in this thread who uses a pyramid for tweaking their blades, it's been proven to work, but  I want a first hand experience.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #538 of 921

Long813

Head-Fier
I never go clean shaven, hate the look. I shave the neck with a straight blade (5 blade of something) every 3 days, beard trimmer the face when I rid of the beard.
Rocking a beard right now, so simple to just clean up the neck.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #539 of 921

DougofTheAbaci

1000+ Head-Fier

Quote:
I never go clean shaven, hate the look. I shave the neck with a straight blade (5 blade of something) every 3 days, beard trimmer the face when I rid of the beard.
Rocking a beard right now, so simple to just clean up the neck.

This is what I do as well, only I use a safety razor (Merkur 150 with feathers). Now that I've figured out how to properly use it I get significantly less irritation and bumps. As in none. At least, when I do it right. When I don't it's still not as bad as a normal disposable shave.

Users who are viewing this thread