Sharp MD-33 : What is with all the leaked sound??
May 1, 2005 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EBisky

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

So I've had my MD33's for a few weeks and they have great sound. They isolate pretty good, but I have a problem.

They seem to leak sound a lot more then I thought they would. I had a friend sit next to me on the couch about 5 feet away and had my MD33's in with the volume @ 14 on my Micro and he could hear it pretty good. I then had him put them on and noticed the same thing.

I was kind of shocked because I have worn them in a quiet classroom @ 15 volume before and everyone must have been hearing what I was listening to (might have been why one guy moved to another seat and getting odd looks from people)

So what the hell?! I got these so they WOULDN'T leak sound and now they are leaking sound all over..

maybe I should have got the portapros or the PX100's..

confused..

-EB

May 1, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EBisky
Hey,

So I've had my MD33's for a few weeks and they have great sound. They isolate pretty good, but I have a problem.

They seem to leak sound a lot more then I thought they would. I had a friend sit next to me on the couch about 5 feet away and had my MD33's in with the volume @ 14 on my Micro and he could hear it pretty good. I then had him put them on and noticed the same thing.

I was kind of shocked because I have worn them in a quiet classroom @ 15 volume before and everyone must have been hearing what I was listening to (might have been why one guy moved to another seat and getting odd looks from people)

So what the hell?! I got these so they WOULDN'T leak sound and now they are leaking sound all over..

maybe I should have got the portapros or the PX100's..

confused..

-EB

Canalphones leak some sound, but not as much as the PortaPros or the PX100. My ex81s leaks much less than my old PX100.

May 2, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 13
wow...
you must be really BLASTING your music huh......
i never ran into that problem before.

May 2, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 13
Yes..but I found the smallest size to seal/fit best..

Also, reason why I am confused was because I was under the impression when I bought them that they leaked VERY little/no sound..

May 2, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 13
Well if the room had good acoustics and it was DEAD quiet then i think it would be farily easy to hear even the smallest sound, despite how little sound supposedly leaks from them.

May 2, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 13
strange, mine don't leak at all. they are totally quiet.

i can listen to music even quite loud in bed and my girl-friend beside me doesn't hear anything.

i tested it out with her and she only began to hear something as it was already a bit too loud for myself too.

May 2, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by oluv
strange, mine don't leak at all. they are totally quiet.

i can listen to music even quite loud in bed and my girl-friend beside me doesn't hear anything.

i tested it out with her and she only began to hear something as it was already a bit too loud for myself too.

was it quiet in the room?

give her the headphones and you try to see if you can hear something..

May 3, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

was it quiet in the room?

give her the headphones and you try to see if you can hear something..

yeah it was totally quiet.

i didn't want to bother her with trying my md33 out. i gave her my old ex71 and she is quite happy with them and they are also totally quiet. if she listens to them i cannot hear anything either.

try putting your thumb on the opening of your md33 and you will hear that they already become quiet, then even try to wrap your fingers around them and you won't hear anything more. it is the same effect as having them inside your ears.

May 4, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

yeah it was totally quiet.

i didn't want to bother her with trying my md33 out. i gave her my old ex71 and she is quite happy with them and they are also totally quiet. if she listens to them i cannot hear anything either.

try putting your thumb on the opening of your md33 and you will hear that they already become quiet, then even try to wrap your fingers around them and you won't hear anything more. it is the same effect as having them inside your ears.

I've tried the thumb situation...but that does not represent what happens when they go in your ear..

May 4, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I've tried the thumb situation...but that does not represent what happens when they go in your ear..

maybe you don't have them deep inside enough? how is your seal?

if i insert mine, the rubber-tips disappear completely inside my ear canal. therefore it is about the same as having them enclosed in my hand.

May 4, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

maybe you don't have them deep inside enough? how is your seal?

if i insert mine, the rubber-tips disappear completely inside my ear canal. therefore it is about the same as having them enclosed in my hand.

I think the very same thing..but somehow the sound leaks out through them.

The smallest plugs go all the way in my ear and provide the best seal. The medium/stock plugs are just a little too big and don't go in all the way(Just shy of it actually..almost fits).

Maybe it is the fact that although the smallest ones provide the best seal for me, they still leave room around my ear for sound to leak out?

I heard you can use plugs from shure and other places on the md33, maybe that would be an option for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back