Sharp highs, super detailed headphone
May 12, 2009 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
I am look for a upgrade in the near future, currently using a Denon AH-D1001/ Creative Aurvana Live! but the highs and details are quite lacking. I want super detailed music playback, currently most songs are at Apple Lossless (No flaming please, I am using a iPod :p) with a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music at pure direct and no addition processing. Like a set of cans which are super detailed with great highs, comfortable to wear and at about £200. Also will upgrade sound card to a Asus Xonar Essence STX if possible. iPod support would be great too.

I am looking at at AKG K701 at the moment, if anyone have any different suggestion or experience with them please feel free to comment. Also are iPod capable to drive them at all, or even a portable amp?

May 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking at at AKG K701 at the moment

I don't think those are going to do very well with an iPod or any other portable rig at all (whether or not you use a portable amp). I would instead look at something like the Grado SR-225. These can be driven quite nicely with an iPod, they offer plenty of detail, and the highs are definitely there. Using my 5G iPod, there's some subtle roll-off in the highs compared to when I'm using the same headphones with my main setup, but this is actually a nice change sometimes. All things considered, I think you'd have a pretty hard time finding a better sounding headphone to drive with an iPod than the Grados.

May 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 82
I would do some searching, but I've heard that the AKG K701 are not very easy to drive.

And an iPod certainly cannot drive them to their potential.

May 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 82
Even a portable amp like total airhead and stuff like that can't drive it at all?

May 12, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 82
May 12, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 82
You may get the volume you want via a portable amp, and you may even be somewhat happy with the sound you get. Once you have the chance to listen to the same headphones through proper home equipment (say, a good CD player and a dedicated home headphone amp), it's rather likely that you'll realize what you've been missing out on. When it comes to Grados, the difference between iPod amping and "proper" amping is less significant. Yes, there is still a difference even with the Grados, but they still sound fantastic with iPods. I do not believe the same could rightfully be said of the K701.

May 12, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 82
One question, do they leak a lot? (Being hear feets away at normal volume.)

May 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 82
The Grados do leak a lot. The open AKG headphones also leak badly (I've got the K601). This is a common characteristic of open headphones. Of all that I've owned, I think the HD580 leaked the least, but I wouldn't recommend those for "sharp highs" or for driving straight from an iPod, although mine actually did pretty well with an RSA Hornet.

May 12, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 82
At times, I even prefer my crappy speakers (Creative T40 Series II) as music is kind of forced into my ears in though the D1001, so is the K701 much better, natural?

May 12, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 82
"Sharp highs, super detailed headphone"

This describes the Beyerdynamic DT880 exactly. Here they are on the website you posted.

Sparkling treble, highly detailed, good tight bass but not overwhelming. Fairly neutral. Alot easier to drive than the K701. Can also find them used here for about $220USD.

May 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 82
I am temped to 'buy' them and return them before the 30 days money back period. And test the phone's potential, before actually buying them.

May 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 82
I just read the entire thread, and I can't believe nobody specifically suggested: Grado SR60i/SR80i.

May 12, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read the entire thread, and I can't believe nobody specifically suggested: Grado SR60i/SR80i.

Quote:

I am look for a upgrade in the near future, currently using a Denon AH-D1001/ Creative Aurvana Live!

I am looking for a upgrade, not a downgrade or something in the same level.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back