Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Nov 10, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #871 of 975
Several months later, does someone succeeded in making MQA works with the Hiby app ?

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #873 of 975
1. The cable doesn’t look like it’s available for sale anywhere. Can you make it available in your Amazon store?

2. DAC Single vs Dual.

What are you trying to achieve specifically ? Are you insisting on no adapter, just a single cable ?

As indicated previously, I tested my UP5 with a ddhifi TC28i Lightning to USB-C adapter and any USB-C to C cable will work including the short one that came with the UP5.

I retested and UAC has to be set to 2.0, switch to 1.0 and the "uses to much power" message pops up.

I don't have any readily available Lightning to USB-C cables to test since the ddhifi adapter works so well I don't bother with specific Lightning cables. I know the iFi cable works but that doesn't seem to be available as an accessory.

I bought the USB-C to C version of the TC09S ddhifi cable and I would expect the Lightning version would do a good job with the UP5. They also do somewhat more basic ones which I imagine should work as well, I mean, that is what they are made for.

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/1287647.html

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/545951.html

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #874 of 975
1. The cable doesn’t look like it’s available for sale anywhere. Can you make it available in your Amazon store?

2. DAC Single vs Dual.
1. L3 is now available at Aliexpress, it's shipping to international distributors this week. Amazon will get it with some delay.

2. This setting affects only the single-ended output. And switches between using only one or both DACs.
Single DAC will result in better battery life.
Dual DAC will bring little bit more power, slightly better measurement and "better sound".But with reduced battery life.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #876 of 975
After a lot of searching I don't seem to be able to find an answer to this.

Does the custom EQ setting not work at all? The presets appear to work, but they're not really of any use to me as they are lumpy things that aren't targeted at tweaking my particular headphones. As soon as I choose Customize in the app I can drag the sliders around and for a split second I can hear a sound change then it goes just appears to be a flat response. What is the deal?

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #877 of 975
After a lot of searching I don't seem to be able to find an answer to this.

Does the custom EQ setting not work at all? The presets appear to work, but they're not really of any use to me as they are lumpy things that aren't targeted at tweaking my particular headphones. As soon as I choose Customize in the app I can drag the sliders around and for a split second I can hear a sound change then it goes just appears to be a flat response. What is the deal?
Do you use iOS? I wrote about it quite early in this thread because I made exactly the same experience. I had been told it’s still under development, but as it seems nothing has changed. But you know what, forget about software with most Chinese audio companies. I made similar experiences with Hifiman, Fiio etc. The UP5 is a great little device with really good sound as long you use it „plain“ without the app. If you are looking for a well working EQ the only option is Qudelix. Even the BTR7 EQ is -censored- in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #878 of 975
Do you use iOS? I wrote about it quite early in this thread because I made exactly the same experience. I had been told it’s still under development, but as it seems nothing has changed.

No, Android. I guess this means it's the same with the iOS app?

I've actually owned the UP5 for a long time now and could never get the custom EQ working, gave up and only recently decided to try it again. I have headphones that I like the sound of with some basic EQ but not a great deal without.

Thinking way back to when I was researching and settled on the UP5, the ability to EQ my headphones was a factor in my decision and I probably would've bought another device had I known it was never going to be available. Why the option is even present in the app is questionable - is it to fool potential customers that are looking at app screenshots? It fooled me.

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #879 of 975
No, Android. I guess this means it's the same with the iOS app?

I've actually owned the UP5 for a long time now and could never get the custom EQ working, gave up and only recently decided to try it again. I have headphones that I like the sound of with some basic EQ but not a great deal without.

Thinking way back to when I was researching and settled on the UP5, the ability to EQ my headphones was a factor in my decision and I probably would've bought another device had I known it was never going to be available. Why the option is even present in the app is questionable - is it to fool potential customers that are looking at app screenshots? It fooled me.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It was the same for me, the EQ was also one of the reasons for me to buy it. The „funny“ thing is, that even in several reviews of established reviewers the EQ feature was praised - which now raises the question:“Did you (reviewers) even try it?“
In the end I kind of gave up on it because I realized I liked the sound without eq….but still….

Well, I am still looking for the perfect BT device…they ALL have their flaws. The Qudelix is really maybe the best working one….unfortunately I did not like it’s flimsy built and weird knobs…

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #882 of 975
I just bought an M7, should be here today. Definitely excited and looking forward to hearing it!

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #883 of 975
My Shanling UP5 gradually degraded the wheel fuction: at first the volume stopped decreasing, then I adapted to lower the volume by turning the wheel down with light pressure from the side, then the volume stopped decreasing at all. Is there any way to fix the operation of the wheel? Or is there any Android application that can adjust Shanling UP5 volume?

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #884 of 975
Hi, i use shanling up5 with xiaomi poco x3 pro smartphone and xiaomi pad 5 tablet.
When connected in the LHDC v3 codec mode (automatic bitrate), there is a crackling and stuttering of the sound. If the codec is forced to switch to the optimal sound quality mode (900 kbps), then the crackling and stuttering practically disappear.
At the same time, shanling up4 2022 works without problems with the LHDC codec in any mode.
I bought shanling up5 only to work with the LHDC codec, but it turns out it does not work very well with it (
What could be the problem? The sound is interrupted by shanling up5 on both smartphone and tablet, even when the devices are within 5 cm.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #885 of 975
Issue with UP5 @Shanling

My UP5 now with ver-1.6.3

* At full charge, unit only exhibits 60% charge. It never displays full battery icon, even after full night of charging.(Solved)(The charging switch was off)
After slightly over 3 hours of use (4.4mm, High Gain, volume 45, LDAC mode), battery alerts begin. Very distracting when listening.

* Edit: New:
After depleting UP5 to zero, I left it to recharge it over night. When turning the unit on, battery shows only one battery notch after charging entire night. (Solved)

* another edit:
My UP5 from 20% to finally shutting itself off only last for around 20 minutes.

** Battery bar & beeping is not correct and really true.

*** Mic level is very very poor in call mode.

**** Problem with custom equalizer.
----------------------------------------------
I'm waiting for the new bugs free firmware Shanling

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back