Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
May 10, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #886 of 1,458
I tested it with some Meizu smartphone with QQ Music, using simple USB-C to USB-A adapter and stock USB cable, worked fine without any special needs.

When you connect UP4 to your Xperia, does the LED at least light up red?

Neither the Xperia nor UP4 has any change when I connected them together. Only when I put an USB hub in-between, then they responded. This is the same for UP2. This doesn't happened to any other BT adapter that supports USB DAC function, including BTR5, BTR3, ES100, etc.

May 20, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #888 of 1,458
You need a USB-OTG capable cable or adapter leading out of your android smartphone, be it USB-C or micro-USB. Then you can connect a standard data cable between the OTG-output and the UP2/4 -> USB-audio output.

May 21, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #890 of 1,458
You need a USB-OTG capable cable or adapter leading out of your android smartphone, be it USB-C or micro-USB. Then you can connect a standard data cable between the OTG-output and the UP2/4 -> USB-audio output.
I don't understand. I'm using a standard usb-c - usb-c cable taken originally from my Note 10 plus. It doesn't work. It is the most obvious way of connecting those devices.

May 21, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #891 of 1,458
I don't understand. I'm using a standard usb-c - usb-c cable taken originally from my Note 10 plus. It doesn't work. It is the most obvious way of connecting those devices.
If the "most obvious way" doesnt give you the desired result, you might try some advice that works.

May 22, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #893 of 1,458
Hi guys!

Someone have try the up4 with ibasso IT01 ? What the results of this combo? I've read too much opinion and now I'm totally lost 😩.

I would like to find a dac Bluetooth for my ibasso with note 10 plus.

It definitely should improve performance over note 10 and give more juice to IT01

May 22, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #895 of 1,458
Thanks it's exactly what I was hoping to read! Many thanks.
But last question. What about tidal mqa and ut4? Does it work with ? Or I must be searching something else.

No, it doesn't work with MQA. Bluetooth and MQA are not compatible with each other.

Regardless, Tidal still supports 1st unfolding of MQA internally.

May 22, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #897 of 1,458
But tidal can works in mqa with wires and meizu adapter or I must be purchase a mqa certified. I doesn't thinked about compatibility of mqa when I purchase

Exit: thank for answer

Tidal can internally (via software) unfold MQA to the 1st degree, which means any DAC/amp can be used but the DAC/amp itself won't actually do anything, as decoding has been done in software already.

To unfold further (2nd or 3rd unfolding), you must use a wired DAC/amp that has been MQA certified (*either as MQA Render for 2nd unfolding or Full Decoder for 3rd unfolding).

So, using UP2 / UP4 in USB DAC mode will not give you 2nd or 3rd MQA unfolding as they are not MQA certified. You will get 1st unfolding but it is done by Tidal itself.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #898 of 1,458
Any dac in this range price can do that I thinks ? Because I would to maximize the quality. I'm sad to know I pay for mqa and I listening a less quality song.

But many thanks to the answer. I finally understand all

May 22, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #899 of 1,458
May 25, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #900 of 1,458
Any dac in this range price can do that I thinks ? Because I would to maximize the quality. I'm sad to know I pay for mqa and I listening a less quality song.

But many thanks to the answer. I finally understand all

If you are on the budget Audirect Hilidac Beam 2 has mqa support now. Not sure how it sounds, but by measurements via balanced output it should be sufficient to drive even some of the headphones. It doesn't have bluetooth, but if direct connection with phone is not a big hassle, you can try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back