Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #827 of 1,460
[...] But also I've tried deadbeef, there are much interesting: 44.1 playing in 48 without any resample. [...]
Which distro? (debian? / fedora?)

I am on openSUSE Tumbleweed GNOME, and was not having any output go through the UP4.
After the mention of deadbeef, I installed and tried it, and only after overriding the sample rate to 48k (also as mentioned), I now have output from all players (deadbeef, browser players, vlc, audacity)

Just to verify that I had not changed some other setting in the process, I un-installed deadbeef and it reverted my system to NOT playing to the UP4.
I re-installed deadbeef, and again needed to override the sample rate, and then had systemwide playback through the UP4 again.

hopefully this helps someone who actually knows what they're doing in linux to figure out what is really being changed to allow playback on SOME systems.
-Cyril

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #828 of 1,460
I am on openSUSE Tumbleweed GNOME, and was not having any output go through the UP4.
After the mention of deadbeef, I installed and tried it, and only after overriding the sample rate to 48k (also as mentioned), I now have output from all players (deadbeef, browser players, vlc, audacity)
I think deadbeef have opened 48khz output for system and all another sample rate was resampled to 48 then u have received sound. For default pulse opened 44.1khz when dac support (and it support 44.1, check one of my last post with asound info. Yes, this is not necessary, in Windows 44.1 works as it should).

I edit my /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to temporarily fix usb dac on linux and now always have 48khz:
Code:
resample-method = soxr-hq         ###system SOXr resampler in high quallity (be carefull about cpu load and sound delay). It's important because all 44.1khz track will resample in 48khz.
default-sample-rate = 48000     ###default sample rate is 48khz so all sound will resample to 48khz
Dont forget deltete ";" from the lines.
Also check if you have ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf . If u have it then delete.

On Android, in developer options you can change the LDAC's setting to 16/44.
Yup, its work. But after reconnect it will restore for default. As far as I know, the bt-receiving device can indicate with what frequencies and codecs it will work. Codecs are already configured in the application, so why not give the opportunity to adjust the frequencies in the application? If you pass this wish to the programmers - it will be very cool.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #829 of 1,460
I edit my /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to temporarily fix usb dac in linux and now always have 48khz:
Code:
resample-method = soxr-hq         ###system SOXr resampler in high quallity (be carefull about cpu load and sound delay)
default-sample-rate = 48000     ###default sample rate is 48khz so all sound will resample to 48khz
Also check if you have ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf . If u have it then delete.

I tried this and it kinda works sometimes. But if I pause the music it stops and won't play anymore. I need to turn the device off and on again, play through the speakers and then change the output device from the speakers of my laptop to the UP2 while music is playing. The moment there is no audio playing I need to do this again because I can't get it to output sound otherwise. I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 and play music using Spotify (I tried app and web app).

If knows a slightly less annoying fix I would greatly appreciate it :).

UPDATE:

My bad! This fix does work for me, however I didn't know that I needed to remove the "; " before the lines in the configuration file to activate them. Once I did this it's actually been working flawlessly for me on Linux!
(I'm on Ubuntu 18.04)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #831 of 1,460
Hi UP2 users, would the filters on the new firmware make any difference in sound with AAC/AppleMusic? Could someone describe the sound differences using these filters versus the default sound from the earlier firmware?

Filter effect is universal regardless of BT codec, though the more lossless the codec the more noticeable it will be (as the most noticeable part of the filters are on the roll-off, and the more lossless the BT codec the more treble it should have and thus more things to notice before/after roll-off).

Can't say about AAC / Apple Music as I only use Spotify / LDAC - but to me, from a very simplified PoV, the filters go from the most digital sounding to the most analog sound in this order: Linear Phase Fast > Linear Phase Slow > Minimum Phase Fast > Minimum Phase Slow. Given that however, I'll say the different is fairly subtle and not something immediately noticeable without some critical listening.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #832 of 1,460
There are two things that I hope that @Shanling is willing to consider for the future:

1) An extra knob-cutout in the clip (diagonal opposite corner) so that it can be mounted upside-down to the device. This orientation would allow the cable to hang down naturally from the plug, when clipped to the outside of a pocket or pant-waist (or similar).
2) An app-setting to disable (or use different or less) cancellation/correction for the microphone, so that the UP4 is more usable as a headset. <- assumes that the cancellation/correction algorith is the cause of the muffled/garbled voice audio.

I am not (anywhere near) an audiophile, but I do appreciate how much the UP4 opened up my earphones. The form-factor of the UP4 was a major selling point for me.
I like that the volume is adjusted by wheel (not buttons), and that the main controls (play,pause,next,prev) are limited to one button. Both the wheel and button are consolidated into one mechanical control. Win.
In my experience, the one-button configuration makes the controls significantly easier to find and operate without looking at the device; eliminates the need to feel-around to make sure that my finger is at the correct button.
The greatest drawback (for me) has been that the integrated microphone results in a garbled, muffled, voice; I ask for callers to hold while switching to a different Bluetooth device, or simply switching to the phone.
I understand that the UP4 is designed primarily as a high-resolution Bluetooth-audio listening solution, so microphone functionality/clarity was not the focus, but I had hoped that it was more usable.

-Cyril

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #833 of 1,460
Filter effect is universal regardless of BT codec, though the more lossless the codec the more noticeable it will be (as the most noticeable part of the filters are on the roll-off, and the more lossless the BT codec the more treble it should have and thus more things to notice before/after roll-off).

Can't say about AAC / Apple Music as I only use Spotify / LDAC - but to me, from a very simplified PoV, the filters go from the most digital sounding to the most analog sound in this order: Linear Phase Fast > Linear Phase Slow > Minimum Phase Fast > Minimum Phase Slow. Given that however, I'll say the different is fairly subtle and not something immediately noticeable without some critical listening.

Thanks ClieOS. Any comments about the high gain in UP2, does it work well?

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #834 of 1,460
Thanks ClieOS. Any comments about the high gain in UP2, does it work well?

High gain seems clean enough. Testing using 1kHz sine wave test tone and a 23.5 ohm dummy load, max voltage output goes from around 0.26V on low gain to about 0.52V on high gain..

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #837 of 1,460
Guys, has anybody used UP4 with Senn IE800? I am looking to buy affordable DAC/Amp for it, to use with Macbook Pro and Audirvana. Ocasionally also with an iPhone.

Edit: Just read that UP4 only supports up to 16/48 when used in USB DAC mode, so its kind of deal breaker for me. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #838 of 1,460
Hey guys,
I'm currently using a BTR1 (1st version, not the K) with a pair of SE535.
I'm looking for an upgrade, do you think the UP4 would be a good match for these IEMs? I'm also considering BTR5 but it seems harsher, and maybe not ideal for the SE535.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #839 of 1,460
Hello @Shanling i just tried the UP4 but i have an issue when i tried to connect it as PC DAC, when there is no audio playingi can hear hissing sound

Note: i try to use low gain but the hiss problem is still persist, but not as loud as when i use dual dac boost gain

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #840 of 1,460
Hello @Shanling i just tried the UP4 but i have an issue when i tried to connect it as PC DAC, when there is no audio playingi can hear hissing sound

Note: i try to use low gain but the hiss problem is still persist, but not as loud as when i use dual dac boost gain

Can you please try different USB port on your computer or even different computer?

Do you hear same when used as Bluetooth receiver?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back