Shanling UA5 - Portable USB DAC/AMP || 4.4mm Balanced Output || Hybrid Battery Power || Independent Volume Control || 235 USD / Euro
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #91 of 97
So I went ahead and did the firmware update and still no dice. At this point I'm pretty confident that I got a dud. OLED burn-in, the whole no sound until I unplug and re-plug my IEMs, and finally I also noticed some sporadic half second sound cut outs. I feel they sent me some RMAd / used unit, as that's simply too many issues to have in one. I love the sound when the UA5 is working, but this being my first Shanling product (and it's not a cheap dongle by any means), I'm sorely disappointed and bummed. It's an awesome birthday gift from my brother, I mean it could be if it functioned as it should. I'm just praying that Shanling doesn't give me a runaround with this thing. Anyway, thanks for going out of your way to try to help me, truly awesome of you.
I am sorry to hear you are still having problems! Hopefully the seller can sort it out and get you another unit.

This place is all about helping each other - welcome to Head-fi!!

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #92 of 97
I am sorry to hear you are still having problems! Hopefully the seller can sort it out and get you another unit.

This place is all about helping each other - welcome to Head-fi!!
Thanks! My brother purchased it directly from Shanling's AliExpress store so I got in touch with them directly by email, I'll post an update on here once I hear back.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #93 of 97
Thanks! My brother purchased it directly from Shanling's AliExpress store so I got in touch with them directly by email, I'll post an update on here once I hear back.

Sorry to hear about the issues on your UA5, please definitely reach out to the seller for warranty on your unit.

Please note: There is no Aliexpress store run directly by Shanling, we do not provide direct warranty support on units sold on Aliexpress. Only our Amazon stores and official E-Shop are run directly by Shanling.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #94 of 97
Sorry to hear about the issues on your UA5, please definitely reach out to the seller for warranty on your unit.

Please note: There is no Aliexpress store run directly by Shanling, we do not provide direct warranty support on units sold on Aliexpress. Only our Amazon stores and official E-Shop are run directly by Shanling.
I was not aware of this, and was misled by the sellers advertising. Had I known this I would have advised my brother not to shop on the AliExpress store for any gifts. I'm in touch with the seller now, but the language barrier is not making things easy.

I'm really confused as to what the problem is. I have been doing all sorts of test with the UA5, and like I stated before, it does not play sound until I disconnect and reconnect the IEMs or headphones. I have also found that toggling the SPDIF to on and then off again activates the sound, as well as toggling the DAC from dual to single and vice versa. It's really puzzling.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'm hoping for a positive result with the seller, otherwise I'll just have to live with the DACs 'quirks'.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #95 of 97
Just an update to my woes with my defective UA5 unit - So after some back and forth with the AliExpress store I ended up sending my unity back, and today I finally received my eagerly awaited replacement. This new unit operates flawlessly and I'm really happy with the sound and how it pairs with my primarily bass-driven collection of IEMs. It was worth the hassle and the wait.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #96 of 97
Just an update to my woes with my defective UA5 unit - So after some back and forth with the AliExpress store I ended up sending my unity back, and today I finally received my eagerly awaited replacement. This new unit operates flawlessly and I'm really happy with the sound and how it pairs with my primarily bass-driven collection of IEMs. It was worth the hassle and the wait.
Wow, that was quite the journey for you! I guess the old expression applies - All’s well that ends well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back