Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Nov 17, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #4,741 of 5,808
I second the desire for system wide EQ.

The idea that end users should procure another top-tier source or buy a $700 (or more) cable to change the sound signature of the top-tier source they just bought is a head-scratcher.

Maybe EQ doesn't sound as good or natural as the aforementioned alternatives, nevertheless, the option should be there. On my PC I can easily obtain system wide EQ, and my PC is a general purpose machine not made primarily for music playback... How much more should a device made specifically for music include a system wide equalizer.

Yes, UAPP exists and newer versions of Android (newer than the 7.1 on the M8) are able to use system wide equalizers like Wavelet and a modified Poweramp EQ, however, a device specifically made for music playback should ideally include this from the get go.

Also, EQ isn't just to add; it's also used to subtract. Imagine a scenario where there's an annoying table peak or sibilance. Using EQ to tame that is preferable IMO to expensive cable rolling, buying a new transducer, or returning/selling the source at a loss.

Obviously, EQ can't cure every problem and make every synergy magical, but I don't see the option as a negative, and neither do I see it as unprecedented to implement.

My 2 cents :)

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,742 of 5,808
EQ is not the way to do it man, you just need another player to voice up well with your other headphones. That is the fun in this hobby.

You can not EQ enough to make a system to sound as good as another system without EQ. For example, you can not EQ M8+7Hz to sound the way SP2K+7Hz sound. Try it!! You may like it and subjectively agree that they get to be equal, and if you do, then more power to you.

Sadly, since many DAP aiming to be BitPerfect, and staying true to the original source, they don’t offer it. I know Sony Android Walkman do
Yes u are right , like I said is limitation to not have this option at this price point ,
But yes I'm very satisfied from the stock sound.
On the 1.4 firmware eq didn't worked at all but the bass booster eq or the subwoofer booster eq worked really well with Deezer
On the newest firmware 1.5 nothing works.

I may keep it but I may sell it to buy the new hiby RS6 which has it all .
Am currently subscribed to 3 music services to get my experimenting fetish adressed and get enough music suggestions 😉
Plus I am subscribed to soundiiz so I can sync any Playlist, etc between the services
Soundiiz can do this ? Hmmm , I didn't knew it ! Thx 🙂
Can u try something please and tell if u hear a difference ? I personally struggle to notice the difference.

Download please the xtreme music app from playstore and tell me please if u notice any difference with streaming services. 🙏

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #4,743 of 5,808

Download please the xtreme music app from playstore and tell me please if u notice any difference with streaming services. 🙏
Sorry, don't own M8 anymore - just contributing to my old favorite player group here from my past experience

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #4,744 of 5,808
I second the desire for system wide EQ.

The idea that end users should procure another top-tier source or buy a $700 (or more) cable to change the sound signature of the top-tier source they just bought is a head-scratcher.

Maybe EQ doesn't sound as good or natural as the aforementioned alternatives, nevertheless, the option should be there. On my PC I can easily obtain system wide EQ, and my PC is a general purpose machine not made primarily for music playback... How much more should a device made specifically for music include a system wide equalizer.

Yes, UAPP exists and newer versions of Android (newer than the 7.1 on the M8) are able to use system wide equalizers like Wavelet and a modified Poweramp EQ, however, a device specifically made for music playback should ideally include this from the get go.

Also, EQ isn't just to add; it's also used to subtract. Imagine a scenario where there's an annoying table peak or sibilance. Using EQ to tame that is preferable IMO to expensive cable rolling, buying a new transducer, or returning/selling the source at a loss.

Obviously, EQ can't cure every problem and make every synergy magical, but I don't see the option as a negative, and neither do I see it as unprecedented to implement.

My 2 cents :)
💪💪👍Exactly 🙌🙌 💯 %

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #4,745 of 5,808
Sorry, don't own M8 anymore - just contributing to my old favorite player group here from my past experience
The most I love is music and not the gear that's for sure !

the xtreme music app Normally is for rooted devices but sometimes it works also without root and is oversampling music from streaming services to DSD or to 24 bit 96 khz or to 32 bit 192 khz which is pretty darn good. But I'm not sure if the app is staying alive on background .
U can also give it a try and tell me if u can understand if difference or not . Me personally I believe it doesn't work.

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,746 of 5,808
M
Hi !
I bought the shanling m8 and I wanted to share my thoughts .

Sound is very good, warm, analytical , big soundstage , best dynamics I've ever heard and no doubt this player has the best bass from all players exist .
It sounds better than any player I have and had. is a unique player on its own class .

It has only one negative and this isn't the battery or hardware but the equalizer.

IS A SHAME NOT TO HAVE OR SUPPORT A SYSTEM WIDE EQ IN NOVEMBER 2021.
Options is the key .
learn from Hiby Shanling.

Only for this reason I'm gonna sell it again. 😤
I never use EQ...destroys the overall sound quality.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #4,747 of 5,808
I know system wide eq will deactivated the bit perfect but will not do Downsample because all streaming services play max 16 bit 41 khz.

Also why not to have that option for those who want to tweak the sound and make their headphones shine ?
Why in the shanling app is eq available and for streaming services doesn't support it ?

Without system wide eq is a limitation and I believe shanling decided to go without eq because are not in that level like hiby or astell kern when it comes to software.
A&K EQ is utterly horrible.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #4,749 of 5,808
For EQ, we have no plans for system wide EQ.

Nope. Still does not turn off.
Well, for this can do standard recommendation of full factory reset and testing if that helps.

I tried it with 3 different M8 units and each of them worked correctly :frowning2:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 17, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #4,750 of 5,808
Just got the Focal Celestee on tour and it sounds fantastic on the M8...they are very musical and detailed, with great control in the bass, and excellent base quality...the rich bass on the M8 sounds layered and detailed. Very tastefully done. The mids can sound a bit tinny sometimes, and the timbre is off in the mids too... the soundstage is narrow (but still out of head), but deep and layered with great clarity and detail... It is very refined sounding...the treble is excellent, too...

20211117_200216_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #4,751 of 5,808
For EQ, we have no plans for system wide EQ.

Well, for this can do standard recommendation of full factory reset and testing if that helps.

I tried it with 3 different M8 units and each of them worked correctly :frowning2:
Thanks for checking.

As much as I love my M8, it is starting to seem cursed. It was back at Shanling for over a month for repair this summer. And now this.

After a hard reset, and over an hour reconfiguring, the idle power off is functioning!

However, now I cannot load my music back into the internal storage wiped by the reset. Android File Transfer (latest Mac version) keeps crashing. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #4,752 of 5,808
Try to roll back firmware to the older one. I know in the M30, I had that issues, the data couldn’t go in or out, it would keep crashing on windows pc….until I roll back firmware and then update again

I gotta say, shanling firmware is pretty horrible…slow speed in developing and release….when releases, it is full of bug

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #4,753 of 5,808
Try to roll back firmware to the older one. I know in the M30, I had that issues, the data couldn’t go in or out, it would keep crashing on windows pc….until I roll back firmware and then update again

I gotta say, shanling firmware is pretty horrible…slow speed in developing and release….when releases, it is full of bug
Thanks. Will try. Might I ask how you rolled back the FW?

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4,755 of 5,808
Sorry if this has been posted already but does anyone else have any problems using the outside playback buttons when the screen is turned off? Mine don't work at all unless the M8 screen is on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back