Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Oct 20, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #4,606 of 5,808
What does the status indicator (above volume knob) indicates? It turns red when charging but have also seen pictures with blue light?

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #4,607 of 5,808
What does the status indicator (above volume knob) indicates? It turns red when charging but have also seen pictures with blue light?
It shows different colors when using Bluetooth. Only other function is red when charging.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 21, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #4,608 of 5,808
I'm noticing how the activity on this thread plummeted after the last F/W update. I'm guessing that update was effective, eh, Shanling? Good job! We, the community, certinly appreciate all your work on this, thank you... :relieved:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #4,609 of 5,808
4EF9ED1B-32A4-490D-9EDC-53239CADEF69.jpeg

Turbo gain between 68 and 73 on the sound bar is pretty good with the Diana Phi’s! I am delightfully surprised. Usually these cans need something with a lot more oomph than a portable device.

Listening to the Di Phi’s in the office is a real treat! Yay for the M8.

Oct 23, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,610 of 5,808

Turbo gain between 68 and 73 on the sound bar is pretty good with the Diana Phi’s! I am delightfully surprised. Usually these cans need something with a lot more oomph than a portable device.

Listening to the Di Phi’s in the office is a real treat! Yay for the M8.
Yeah… we enjoy its sound signature so much that sometimes we forget how powerful the M8 is. Earlier this evening, I was trying out the MySphere 3.2 with the M8 to see how it could Ben driven out of the M8. Sounds good at 60 on turbo gain. :)

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #4,611 of 5,808
I'm noticing how the activity on this thread plummeted after the last F/W update. I'm guessing that update was effective, eh, Shanling? Good job! We, the community, certinly appreciate all your work on this, thank you... :relieved:

Really? Gapless showed up? The library started working properly? Unfortunately not. As for me, I stopped prompting about errors because I know Shanling won't do anything about it. It's waste of my time.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #4,612 of 5,808
Really? Gapless showed up? The library started working properly? Unfortunately not. As for me, I stopped prompting about errors because I know Shanling won't do anything about it. It's waste of my time.
You are obviously the exception.

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,614 of 5,808
I just auditioned a bunch of high-end gear with my Focal Utopias: Pathos InPol, Feliks Euforia, Naim Uniti HE, and Chord DAVE. There were a couple that might have edged the M8 in small ways in particular areas, but in terms of overall listening enjoyment, I still find the M8 to be the portable equivalent of a high-end desktop rig. It's an amazing piece of gear.

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,615 of 5,808
I just auditioned a bunch of high-end gear with my Focal Utopias: Pathos InPol, Feliks Euforia, Naim Uniti HE, and Chord DAVE. There were a couple that might have edged the M8 in small ways in particular areas, but in terms of overall listening enjoyment, I still find the M8 to be the portable equivalent of a high-end desktop rig. It's an amazing piece of gear.
Thank you for sharing this.
On a smaller scale — I found no incentive to get Chord 2 over the Shanling M8, so can concur how great the DAP is.

What gain setting (Low/High/Turbo) is everyone using?

Any reason not to use Turbo even with IEMs, if there is no hissing (which there isn’t)?

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #4,616 of 5,808
On a smaller scale — I found no incentive to get Chord 2 over the Shanling M8, so can concur how great the DAP is.

Any reason not to use Turbo even with IEMs, if there is no hissing (which there isn’t)?
I use turbo for dynamic driver IEM. for my hybrid I use high...less shouty. Turbo and High give you greater dynamics, Low and high will be smoother.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #4,617 of 5,808

Higher gain levels add more noise and have lower SNR. Generally speaking it's better to use high volume low gain.

By using higher gains you are amplifying the signal then attenuating it more using volume control, so adding some unnecessary processing to the signal.

Oct 31, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,618 of 5,808
I've had M8 for a year+ now, and this is the first time I'm using low gain!...vol is 79/100 on the 3DT

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #4,619 of 5,808
I've had M8 for a year+ now, and this is the first time I'm using low gain!...vol is 79/100 on the 3DT
I always thought high gain was for full sized headphones and cans that needed extra power/juice, but after reading comments about the sound differences between the difference modes I switched to high gain. Haven’t looked back; I don’t think I’ve had the volume past ~20-25.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,620 of 5,808
Well, my planar open back Aiva, I use on high gain vol 78/100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back