Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 4, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #3,122 of 5,808
I agree with the real sentinment of lots of music. I am not real good at falling asleep with music playing, but other than that .....

May 4, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #3,123 of 5,808
@Rockwell75 @1TrickPony
How would you compare your Elysium / VE8 vs MEST (MKII) paired with M8?
I know it's apples to pears but still as these are top of the still affordable pack before coming to the likes of Traillii and Erlkoenig etc

Thx!

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #3,124 of 5,808
I dig the acoustic treatments. Do you play special sonic sharpening waves through the speaker to keep the razor blades super-sharp? (I am waaay too crazy audiophile today!)
Hard to wear headphones and shave at the same time. This was a bathroom at a Hampton Inn in Michigan this morning.

May 4, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,125 of 5,808
@Rockwell75 @1TrickPony
How would you compare your Elysium / VE8 vs MEST (MKII) paired with M8?
I know it's apples to pears but still as these are top of the still affordable pack before coming to the likes of Traillii and Erlkoenig etc

Thx!
I have the Mk1 not sure if that's what you're looking for. Though, I must say: TOTL gear combined, usually makes for TOTL results.

May 4, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #3,126 of 5,808
I have the Mk1 not sure if that's what you're looking for. Though, I must say: TOTL gear combined, usually makes for TOTL results.
I have MEST MKII
Am more interested in what's up there above, so in your case:VE8
How would you describe it with M8?
I read it's yet warm perse so isn't it too much with M8?
Which music do you prefer listening using M8 and VE8 and which using your OG MEST?
Reading typical reviews of such top IEMs hardly any reviewer is testing using M8.
Therefore it's very useful to get feedback from real users especially when no auditions are possible nowadays...
Thx!

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #3,127 of 5,808
+1 on the focus on music not numbers.
F5FE1A01-5C8F-414F-ACC7-E8B74B944D46.jpeg
When I travel and stay in hotels I bring a little Blue Tooth stereo speaker with me.
In a hotel bathroom the sound is good actually, and if I am having a chat with some one we can have music. I wish I could listen to music 24/7.

Most BT portable speakers have too much bass, and are not stereo, and have gotten larger. The one I use is from 10 or more years ago, obsolete now, the replacement is mono and not as nice. I am actually on my second, Harmon Kardon last time I checked is selling refurb units with fresh batteries. It has a cool little kickstand and is also great for conference calls with a group, not much bigger than a cell phone.
I saw those white, folded, stacked towels and I thought, that guyโ€™s got a nice bathroom; either that, or itโ€™s a nice hotel. Then I read a bit further.
Love to get my hands on a BT speaker like that

May 4, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3,128 of 5,808
Hard to wear headphones and shave at the same time. This was a bathroom at a Hampton Inn in Michigan this morning.
I've shaved with an electric while wearning iems - shavbe my head with an electric too..... DIY bone conduction of ambient noise rather than musical content.

May 4, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #3,129 of 5,808
I have MEST MKII
Am more interested in what's up there above, so in your case:VE8
How would you describe it with M8?
I read it's yet warm perse so isn't it too much with M8?
Which music do you prefer listening using M8 and VE8 and which using your OG MEST?
Reading typical reviews of such top IEMs hardly any reviewer is testing using M8.
Therefore it's very useful to get feedback from real users especially when no auditions are possible nowadays...
Thx!

Not all reviewers have the M8 perhaps? I know David Molliere praises his M8 to the heavens.

As for the VE8+M8 combo, I'd say it's pretty alright. I don't find it overly warm. I'd like to comment more on it but the VE8 won't be back for another week or so.

Lastly, I can pretty much echo what's been said about M8 being paired up with the Elysium and the Mest; it's your classic warm dap + neutral bright iem match up. You really can't go wrong with either pairing.

Unfortunately, the M8 doesn't pair as well with my Oriolus mk2, imo, the sound feels a bit excessively warm for my taste. The Mk2 does better with a more neutral dap in general. Hope this helps.

May 4, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #3,130 of 5,808
I tried Oriolus Mk2 with M8 and I get fatigued from bass or something. Sadly, doesn't last very long for me.

I had a fun weekend pairing all these in the pic. Really enjoyed Odin pairing. Odin is a supercharged and refined MEST in my humble opinion. U18s pairing has been my go-to for the past month. Perfect instrument timbre and globs of detail, all without fatigue. It's great.

img7197.jpg

May 4, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #3,132 of 5,808
I tried Oriolus Mk2 with M8 and I get fatigued from bass or something. Sadly, doesn't last very long for me.

I had a fun weekend pairing all these in the pic. Really enjoyed Odin pairing. Odin is a supercharged and refined MEST in my humble opinion. U18s pairing has been my go-to for the past month. Perfect instrument timbre and globs of detail, all without fatigue. It's great.

It seems the Noirs are on their own ๐Ÿ˜› territory all the way to the left and slightly a side from the group.
Odin in the middle and closer to the audience ๐Ÿ™ƒ
A18s and z1r together like all shinny and pretty glowing together linear rays of light ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ˜›

So you dont miss any bass with a18s? Could you sell everything and keep only a18s and stop looking for other iems?

A new hint for you, I hear very strong compliments about Sultan Le maybe is the next one to try?

๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿพ๐ŸŒฟ

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #3,133 of 5,808
Beautiful "family" shot. Your children look oh so lovely.

Of course, I forgot to include my beloved Oriolus Mk2 and CE-5 in the shot... Next time...

May 4, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,135 of 5,808
It seems the Noirs are on their own ๐Ÿ˜› territory all the way to the left and slightly a side from the group.
Odin in the middle and closer to the audience ๐Ÿ™ƒ
A18s and z1r together like all shinny and pretty glowing together linear rays of light ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ˜›

So you dont miss any bass with a18s? Could you sell everything and keep only a18s and stop looking for other iems?

A new hint for you, I hear very strong compliments about Sultan Le maybe is the next one to try?

๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿพ๐ŸŒฟ

No, I don't miss the bass at all. U18s has better bass technicality than anything else here. Tight and detailed. Punches just enough. I'm keeping the MEST for a different fun factor. Unfortunately, Noir and Z1R are being prepared for classifieds. Let me know if anyone is interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back