Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 25, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,396 of 5,808
Andrew at MusicTeck mentioned to me you were wondering about the pairing of the Traillii with the M8, I have this combo, as well I now have a newly acquired Elysium thanks to all the praise in this thread. On that subject for me the Ely sounds better on the M8 than the Traillii. Think it is down to the mids I used Karyn Allison’s version of You Do Not Know What Love Is and compared the difference, took seconds to hear that her voice was presented much better from the Ely dynamic driver, not that Traillii was at all bad sounding. The Triallii beats the Ely in treble slightly, after you upgrade the Ely stock cable, before you do that the treble in the Ely to me can be a little shrill. Code 51 solved that. On Bass it is quite close. For the DAPs I have the Traillii on the P6 Pro is at its best. If I only had the M8 and the Triallii I would not be unhappy. The Traillii is superior to the Ely but for some reason with the M8 the Ely wins for me. Just my opinion here admittedly my experience is somewhat limited.

Thank you! Yes it was me. He emailed me your impressions on the combo and I appreciate it. :)

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #1,397 of 5,808
Thank you! Yes it was me. He emailed me your impressions on the combo and I appreciate it. :)

I’m also listening to the Traillii and M8 combo. I did my A/B testing between the Elysium and Traillii on the M8 too and I did walk away with the Traillii as my choice of IEM so take that as voting with my ears and wallet :relaxed:.

Later this week I’ll be getting the DX300. I can post some comparisons of the Traillii on the M8 vs DX300 if that helps.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #1,398 of 5,808
I also like how flat the Ely is, I can lay on a pillow with the Ely in my ear without feeling discomfort for me at night that is an unexpected bonus.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,399 of 5,808
I’m also listening to the Traillii and M8 combo. I did my A/B testing between the Elysium and Traillii on the M8 too and I did walk away with the Traillii as my choice of IEM so take that as voting with my ears and wallet :relaxed:.

Later this week I’ll be getting the DX300. I can post some comparisons of the Traillii on the M8 vs DX300 if that helps.

For sure, my DX300 is also arriving this week so I’d appreciate that!

I also like how flat the Ely is, I can lay on a pillow with the Ely in my ear without feeling discomfort for me at night that is an unexpected bonus.

VE universal designs are awesome.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #1,400 of 5,808
Andrew at MusicTeck mentioned to me you were wondering about the pairing of the Traillii with the M8, I have this combo, as well I now have a newly acquired Elysium thanks to all the praise in this thread. On that subject for me the Ely sounds better on the M8 than the Traillii. Think it is down to the mids I used Karyn Allison’s version of You Do Not Know What Love Is and compared the difference, took seconds to hear that her voice was presented much better from the Ely dynamic driver, not that Traillii was at all bad sounding. The Triallii beats the Ely in treble slightly, after you upgrade the Ely stock cable, before you do that the treble in the Ely to me can be a little shrill. Code 51 solved that. On Bass it is quite close. For the DAPs I have the Traillii on the P6 Pro is at its best. If I only had the M8 and the Triallii I would not be unhappy. The Traillii is superior to the Ely but for some reason with the M8 the Ely wins for me. Just my opinion here admittedly my experience is somewhat limited.
I did an extensive comparison of the two IEM’s and that is an awful lot of synergy you are asking for to better the Traillii. Now, the Ely could certainly be better on some specific recordings. Once you use a recording with more limited dynamic range and less bass, some of the powers of the Traillii will be removed in that comparison. I did feel the Trailli was the equal in the mids though. I use the PW 1950 on the Ely to smooth out its treble a bit and to improve its bass vs stock as you use the Code 51.

Do you feel the same on other tracks? When I left EDM and went to rock and jazz that is where I heard a night and day difference. Tks.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #1,401 of 5,808
I did an extensive comparison of the two IEM’s and that is an awful lot of synergy you are asking for to better the Traillii. Now, the Ely could certainly be better on some specific recordings. Once you use a recording with more limited dynamic range and less bass, some of the powers of the Traillii will be removed in that comparison. I did feel the Trailli was the equal in the mids though. I use the PW 1950 on the Ely to smooth out its treble a bit and to improve its bass vs stock as you use the Code 51.

Do you feel the same on other tracks? When I left EDM and went to rock and jazz that is where I heard a night and day difference. Tks.
Only 8 or so hours in with the Ely. In general though I think I like the way the M8 sounds better with dynamic drivers than BAs on every genre so far. After some more time in and more comparisons I may completely agree with you.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,402 of 5,808
Shanling -

Will the new firmware address some of the basic issues with file sorting? After loading up my M8 I notice that the alphabetical listing of albums under the Artist view only works for the first word. For example, bands whose names start with "The" are randomly listed. The Rolling Stones are followed The Beatles which are followed by The Art of Noise. As this affects about a hundred bands on my SD card, this sorting is problematic. Cheers.

I see, this issue is not yet fixed in the app.

The clicks are when are dynamic shifts for instance when a drum attacks when the bass it hard, in resume when the music signal incrises

Sent you PM.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,403 of 5,808

For sure, my DX300 is also arriving this week so I’d appreciate that!

VE universal designs are awesome.

Haaa good luck with dx300 guys I already sold it as M8 is way darn too good!

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,405 of 5,808
Nice, you may prefer it with the Noir. I don’t own a Noir though. :) I’ll trust impressions here that it’s not too ideal with Traillii and see how DX300 goes for now.

I’ll be waiting for @AEIOU9 impressions too.

For me even just sound wise M8 is superior to dx300. Ibasso did a great new dap but M8 is more elevated a notch. Dx300 missing on the mid mids to low treble, something feels not open and clusterclosed a little...

Amd vocals are naughty good on m8 plus every notes and tonalities on m8 are more natural and pleasant as it has a warmer tint. To me M8 is musical love, dx300 a bit too neutral and serious and plus of that ot does not do everything right for my ears...

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #1,406 of 5,808
For me even just sound wise M8 is superior to dx300. Ibasso did a great new dap but M8 is more elevated a notch. Dx300 missing on the mid mids to low treble, something feels not open and clusterclosed a little...

Amd vocals are naughty good on m8 plus every notes and tonalities on m8 are more natural and pleasant as it has a warmer tint. To me M8 is musical love, dx300 a bit too neutral and serious and plus of that ot does not do everything right for my ears...

Yep, at the end of the day its the synergy with your IEMs and setup that matters the most

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,407 of 5,808
Yep, at the end of the day its the synergy with your IEMs and setup that matters the most

And you all know I love warm sound hehe
From many feed back I read along about tralili and erlk I feel like erlkonig is probably more my type of sound, feels like the noirs but full ba style kinda 🤔🧐

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #1,408 of 5,808
In general though I think I like the way the M8 sounds better with dynamic drivers

Elysium is the only IEM I've heard with the M8 so far but I should have my Solaris back by the end of the week and Unique Melody just shipped me a 3DT for review-- I'm really excited to give both of them a go.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #1,409 of 5,808
The clicks are when are dynamic shifts for instance when a drum attacks when the bass it hard, in resume when the music signal incrises
I got the same problem with a DSD256 track, which works perfectly on another DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back