Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #1,351 of 5,808
The thick, syrupy sound of the NW-WM1Z is originally what attracted me to it. Analog. My Lotoo Paw Gold is more-or-less my resolution King at the moment. I am a little schizophrenic when it comes to sound, because I get in these moods where I'll go off on one sound signature, and love it and then get in the mood for another signature.
The LPGT is the only DAP I have heard from Lotoo, and it was reference sounding, zero color. I now have three TOTL DAPs and 5 or 6, mid tier. The mid tier sit in the drawer, but choice is good. My preference is for my HPs or IEMs to control my signature, not my music player. M8 has a pleasing richness about it.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #1,352 of 5,808
The screen on the M8 is beautiful.

0779EAC8-93CC-4312-8030-842123CB394C.JPEG

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #1,353 of 5,808
I installed the FiiO music app on the M8 as I find it easier to navigate & just overall more polished. For some reason the bitrate & album name is cut off on the M8. I can jump directly to the album if I tap on the name on the M15, but since it’s cut off on the M8 this isn’t possible. I confirmed the settings were the same. Also, I didn’t realize the M15 screen is slightly longer.

E05453D5-7601-496B-A33E-482407365F3C.jpeg5CE6435B-58D4-4BC9-A4A7-3B9C27E5D61A.jpeg

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,354 of 5,808
94813D4D-FDCB-4FD6-938C-C2B2B2427BD7.jpeg

Arrgghh! I’m noticing strings have a greater density on the M8 & it just sounds richer compared to the M15. Also, on the M15 I prefer the switches up on Aether R for a touch more warmth/bass, but on the M8 the boost isn’t needed. Double whammy because I have the Aether R listed for sale as well!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #1,356 of 5,808
Hello again from the uber noob. I paired my all-time favorite Empyreans w/ the M8 that arrived today. Please note that this is my first DAP so I have nothing to compare it to, and I am a nobody average joe oxygen-loving mammal reviewing a fancy pants audio device.
  • Wow. The warmth. The BASS. The separation. The detail. Is this a mirage? Am I thirsty? What is happening with my body right now? The hairs on the back of my neck. This is a drug. My new drug. Doh the battery died. Wait what time is it? Wow, where did those hours go. I want another hit ASAP. Charge faster!
  • Ugh. The overall fit finish of the software on this device is the definition of mediocrity. It's inconsistent, poorly designed, and poorly implemented universally across the board. The CPU employed is simply underpowered as a cost-savings measure. I would gladly pay an extra multiple on landed BOM for a faster CPU. And throw in the extra 2GB of RAM people. The device will benefit on so many levels. Ugh, it's lagging while scrolling again. Why am I using Android 7 in the year 2021? 2016 wants its OS back. Nougat is terrible candy and a garbage OS.
  • The lack of attention to detail from a software and UX perspective is monumental. Why have so many redundant menus? Why do I have to master weird unintuitive flows to accomplish simple things? Wait, I have to click that tiny arrow to turn on the USB DAC? Why are my fingers so fat? Can I blame my ring? Please don't tell my wife I said that. Should I stop eating ice cream? Wait did it just crash again? I can tell from the musical output that Shanling has a strong acoustic engineering and EE team. I hope they are using a good quality battery. Should I keep the fire extinguisher close by when charging this thing? I can also tell that their visual design, UX, and software engineering teams are not on the same planet. Interns that work for me do better design work. This device is jekyll and hyde.
  • Why did I spend $1600+ on this thing? Oh yeah. THE MUSIC. The music is GRAND on these emps. But man, I wish the software fit and finish was there. How can I help @Shanling?
Drama aside, the musical end result makes this ... worth it. Yes. It's worth it. After all that, I am sticking with that statement because my brain is on fire after listening to the MUSIC. Does the software still make me feel below the line? Yes, it does. Will I live with it and probably learn to love it? Fingers crossed.

More to come in time as I live with this puppy. Happy Friday.

Did you try it in Prime Mode as well?

The UX feedback hurts - @Shanling anything planned in this regard? I mean, reading @Rockwell75 we’re talking to the point that a competitor’s app seems to run better on the M8.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,357 of 5,808
No one knows. But the fact that with the ampere app you can see M8 consuming 1200 ma and dx300 only 250ma lol means a lot. I think dx300 os not going full power amd its saving some battery life for convenience and this why has chosen the cirrus logic dacs.

Shanling sounds more open and expansive to my ears. I feel a little clustraphobic with dx300 as the extensions and reverberations are none and cut very early between mid high and low high region. I kinda dont like that.
On M8 its very open and natural I dont get any sense loss there in that region. The rest seems very good.
The 1200ma has to be due to the AKM DAC Chips used in the M8.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #1,361 of 5,808
Just ordered The M8 along with the ODINs, and I am wondering if they are going to pair nicely since people have been saying the M8 is similar to the N8. Ive been using cf Atlas out of a laptop/phone so I am sure there's is going to be an adjustment period either way. I have no idea what a "thick and meaty" sound sig could even sound like, but thought the warmth might do the ODINS some justice. Gut tells me is going to be a good matchup though.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #1,362 of 5,808
Just ordered The M8 along with the ODINs, and I am wondering if they are going to pair nicely since people have been saying the M8 is similar to the N8. Ive been using cf Atlas out of a laptop/phone so I am sure there's is going to be an adjustment period either way. I have no idea what a "thick and meaty" sound sig could even sound like, but thought the warmth might do the ODINS some justice. Gut tells me is going to be a good matchup though.

I can't imagine what wouldn't go well with the M8...maybe a hard v-shape. The M8 is powerful and I'm sure the e-stats in the Odin will love that.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #1,363 of 5,808

That's one massive leap. NICE! I'm sure you'll be in for a treat.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,364 of 5,808
The LPGT is the only DAP I have heard from Lotoo, and it was reference sounding, zero color. I now have three TOTL DAPs and 5 or 6, mid tier. The mid tier sit in the drawer, but choice is good. My preference is for my HPs or IEMs to control my signature, not my music player. M8 has a pleasing richness about it.
I am with you, but some people choose both :wink:

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,365 of 5,808
You are at the top choices here. M8 and dynamic drivers are a great match for me. Looking forward to hearing how you like that pairing once both are burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back