Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 13, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #2,461 of 5,808
I have two older Shanling's which I reviewed M2s & M3s, loved them at the time. Now the M8, which is very evident of how the Shanling brand has evolved along with their sound quality. I am seriously interested in reviewing the M30. Here is my morning pairing, Legend X, M8 and Romi Audio TaiChi

20210313_091920.jpg
Bet that is warm at another level. Love the color of your LX.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #2,462 of 5,808
Should I pre-order the M8 from musikteck or audio46? I've dealt with both before with no problems. MT actually has an estimated ship date but A46 has it on sale - yet they're not listed as an authorized dealer on the shanling website. I wonder if that has significance as to whether they'll be getting more stock.
MT is.

Mar 13, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,463 of 5,808
Bet that is warm at another level. Love the color of your LX.
Lol..logic might say that the X is super warm with the M8. It is certainly full and has excellent bass quality as well as quantity. The X has more balance that it is given credit. I think that a well seasoned Legend X is a different beast from the quick audition X. Thank you for the color props. I really prefer simple designs but I agree the clear faceplate with Velvet Purple, looks simple yet refined.

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #2,466 of 5,808
It might be that due to the MQA and added processing needs, it's causing more problems with Tidal.

Please make sure to use only internal memory for Qobuz offline and it should work fine.

Thanks for finding this out. Will tell our software team to adjust it, at least give some warning message.

M8 works as completely balanced audio design.

Can you please send us some links, that makes such claims about Sony being only true balanced?

Balanced output is measurably better, not just in power. And to me ears a step up over Single ended.

If you don't need more power and care more about battery life than sound quality, using single ended is just fine.
I read it somewhere about wm1z. Sorry, cannot provide link. I remember it's the way the lines inside are wired.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #2,467 of 5,808
The X has more balance that it is given credit. I think that a well seasoned Legend X is a different beast from the quick audition X.

Lol glad someone else has the same opinion of the Legend X. I have a custom Legend X and I was like this sounds pretty balanced to me, not as big of a bass cannon as I expected. Although, I do need some more time to burn in mine so we'll see. I am hoping the M8 will give me more bass quantity that I wanted out of the Legend X.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,468 of 5,808
+1 for MusicTeck. I also had good experiences with Audio46, but I generally buy more from MusicTeck. Andrew is great!

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #2,469 of 5,808
Lol glad someone else has the same opinion of the Legend X. I have a custom Legend X and I was like this sounds pretty balanced to me, not as big of a bass cannon as I expected. Although, I do need some more time to burn in mine so we'll see. I am hoping the M8 will give me more bass quantity that I wanted out of the Legend X.

Why not just EQ a little bit to your liking? I have an LX Universal incoming, should arrive tomorrow. I‘m really excited! It will replace my MESTs which I used for bassy music but it just wasn‘t enough for me and the fit was ok’ish at best. I hope (and am certain) that the LX will fit better.

Don‘t want to completely hijack the thread but could you give me a short hint why you went from Andro 2019 to 2020, please? I only know the 2020 but see you had both and would be interested in 1st hand opinion between both, thanks. Btw. I love the Andro 2020 and now after honeymoon I think they are the best IEMs I‘ve ever heard :) (but I need to EQ them to tame the lower mids and gain sub-bass a little!!)

Mar 14, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,470 of 5,808
I have custom Valkyries and I love them!

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #2,471 of 5,808
Should I pre-order the M8 from musikteck or audio46? I've dealt with both before with no problems. MT actually has an estimated ship date but A46 has it on sale - yet they're not listed as an authorized dealer on the shanling website. I wonder if that has significance as to whether they'll be getting more stock.
Audio46 is also our official dealer, they started just recently and are not added to our website yet.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #2,472 of 5,808
Why not just EQ a little bit to your liking? I have an LX Universal incoming, should arrive tomorrow. I‘m really excited! It will replace my MESTs which I used for bassy music but it just wasn‘t enough for me and the fit was ok’ish at best. I hope (and am certain) that the LX will fit better.

I use Tidal, can't EQ on the M8 unfortunately since it doesn't have system wide EQ. LX universal should fit better based on the way the size looks and my experience with the Valkyrie Universal, but I never tried the universal version of the LX. The Intl MEST for me was the most uncomfortable IEM I have ever tried unfortunately. I much prefer the fit of the IER-Z1R if that says something about the comfort of the Intl MEST.

Don‘t want to completely hijack the thread but could you give me a short hint why you went from Andro 2019 to 2020, please? I only know the 2020 but see you had both and would be interested in 1st hand opinion between both, thanks. Btw. I love the Andro 2020 and now after honeymoon I think they are the best IEMs I‘ve ever heard :) (but I need to EQ them to tame the lower mids and gain sub-bass a little!!)

I preferred the way vocals sounded on the 2020 version over 2019. 2019 was a tad more fatiguing to listen to due to the treble peak. Overall, 2020 was just slightly smoother/refined, but kept that classic Andromeda sound that I love. I'll also add I have a lot of time with Andromeda S and Solstice (custom Andromeda). Andromeda S to me I liked the most sonically. Found it to be the most engaging out of the 4 Andromeda versions I tried/owned. Solstice is immensely comfortable, more comfortable than any custom that I have. Sound wasn't quite like the classic Andromeda unfortunately. I have tried many high end IEMs and headphones (more than what I listed), Andromeda 2020/2019 are still amongst my favorites among any price range and is my go to when showing new people what high end audio sounds like.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #2,473 of 5,808
I have custom Valkyries and I love them!

I've tried the universal Valkyries for a good while, does the M8 really make the bass come to life for the Valkyrie? I might be in the minority here, but found the Valkyrie to be a little bass light lol. Overall good IEM though

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,474 of 5,808
I've tried the universal Valkyries for a good while, does the M8 really make the bass come to life for the Valkyrie? I might be in the minority here, but found the Valkyrie to be a little bass light lol. Overall good IEM though
@ImMcLovin you should try Bravado MK2

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #2,475 of 5,808
I use Tidal, can't EQ on the M8 unfortunately since it doesn't have system wide EQ. LX universal should fit better based on the way the size looks and my experience with the Valkyrie Universal, but I never tried the universal version of the LX. The Intl MEST for me was the most uncomfortable IEM I have ever tried unfortunately. I much prefer the fit of the IER-Z1R if that says something about the comfort of the Intl MEST.

I preferred the way vocals sounded on the 2020 version over 2019. 2019 was a tad more fatiguing to listen to due to the treble peak. Overall, 2020 was just slightly smoother/refined, but kept that classic Andromeda sound that I love. I'll also add I have a lot of time with Andromeda S and Solstice (custom Andromeda). Andromeda S to me I liked the most sonically. Found it to be the most engaging out of the 4 Andromeda versions I tried/owned. Solstice is immensely comfortable, more comfortable than any custom that I have. Sound wasn't quite like the classic Andromeda unfortunately. I have tried many high end IEMs and headphones (more than what I listed), Andromeda 2020/2019 are still amongst my favorites among any price range and is my go to when showing new people what high end audio sounds like.

Thanks for your answer. I also think the Andromedas belong to the best IEMs. They can also be found on many „best of“ lists of long time experienced listeners who have/had many many different IEMs.

Regarding the LX - mine just got delivered and I really question myself if you have a good seal with them? I put on „L“ Tips on both sides and they fit like a glove and present _massive_ Bass to me, just what I hoped for. Out of curiosity I also tried „M“ and the Bass got much softer. Maybe it‘s just a fit issue why your LXs are Bass light?

I can already say the LX is super comfortable for me. Happy I took the plunge and replaced the MESTs with them!

Legend X is the first Headphone/IEM ever where I don’t feel the need to EQ the Bass :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back