Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #226 of 868
(delete)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #230 of 868
Would this be a good upgrade from M3x?

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #231 of 868
Would this be a good upgrade from M3x?
I had the m3x, this is a definite step up in pretty much every way except battery. The sound is a bit warmer/smoother than the m3x, but better technicalities and extension. If you want a cooler, brighter tuning, go with the m7.

Sep 2, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #232 of 868
I had the m3x, this is a definite step up in pretty much every way except battery. The sound is a bit warmer/smoother than the m3x, but better technicalities and extension. If you want a cooler, brighter tuning, go with the m7.
Would you recommend m6 Ultra or m7 for less coloration (more transparent)?

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #234 of 868
Would you recommend m6 Ultra or m7 for less coloration (more transparent)?
I have not heard the m7, so I can’t say for sure. Probably m7? The m6 ultra is plenty detailed and balanced, but it does feel slightly more mid and low focused. Big soundstage. I dig it, suits my preferences. Feels more full, and more exciting than the m3x. The m3x grew on me, but at first it felt boring. it’s quite balanced and detailed for its price. The m7 has a little more power and 2 more gb of ram, which makes it slightly more futureproof. Definitely try to listen or get from a place with a good return/exchange policy. At the end of the day you’ll probably be happy with either. Both are a clear step up from the m3x

I don’t know how you feel about brain/burn in. I haven’t done any burn in beyond just listening, but I do feel like the m6u sounds better once it warms up (15-20 minutes of listening). Some folks on the m7 thread report the m7 can be too bright at first, but gets better with use/burn in.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #235 of 868
I have not heard the m7, so I can’t say for sure. Probably m7? The m6 ultra is plenty detailed and balanced, but it does feel slightly more mid and low focused. Big soundstage. I dig it, suits my preferences. Feels more full, and more exciting than the m3x. The m3x grew on me, but at first it felt boring. it’s quite balanced and detailed for its price. The m7 has a little more power and 2 more gb of ram, which makes it slightly more futureproof. Definitely try to listen or get from a place with a good return/exchange policy. At the end of the day you’ll probably be happy with either. Both are a clear step up from the m3x

I don’t know how you feel about brain/burn in. I haven’t done any burn in beyond just listening, but I do feel like the m6u sounds better once it warms up (15-20 minutes of listening). Some folks on the m7 thread report the m7 can be too bright at first, but gets better with use/burn in.
I also feel it gets better when it’s warmed up. Maybe smooths the treble?

In terms of overall sound I think it is similar to my Ifi idsd micro Signature. Perhaps tighter bass on the m6u.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #236 of 868
The m6u is on sale for $827 at musicteck for a Labor Day sale.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #238 of 868
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #239 of 868
Over the holiday I used the m6u as a dac/amp to watch a movie, and I was having some audio delay. I don’t have this problem with the m3x. Not a big deal as I don’t do this very often, and probably an easy fix with a firmware update.

On another note. I tried it with a couple other headphones, Penon vortex and Sony xba-n3. Both sound phenomenal. It adds some low end warmth without losing detail and pushes out the soundstage on the vortex. I get even more of the immersive 3d effect with the xba-n3. It might be my favorite pairing so far. For better or worse, the m6u pushes the soundstage out for most iems I’ve paired.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #240 of 868
For many months I have been researching the forums, Youtube, and other sites in trying to choose a DAP as my first such device. I am an audiophile with about 40 years experience and knowledge so I didn't take this task lightly. I didn't set a hard price point, so my primary choices were narrowed down to the Fiio M11 Plus, the Sony NW-WM1AM2, the iBasso DX170, the soon to be released FiiO M11S, and the Shanling M6 Ultra. I actually own a Shanling CDT-100 from 20 years ago and even though it's no longer used, I was very impressed with its quality and aesthetics.

I had researched many other options, but I have just ordered the Shanling M6 Ultra from MusicTeck during the Labor Day sale, and it should arrive soon. As mentioned, this will be my first DAP, there are several reasons I decided to add a DAP to the iPhone-dongle-(or dac/amp)-IEM listening experience so I am excited to have this as a further enriched listening experience.

Any followup impressions I might have to be posted here would be very limited given my novice status in the DAP domain. That said, I will continue to follow this thread closely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back