Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Jul 10, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,231 of 1,455
Just browsed to that folder containing 461 tracks from the Shanling App. It took about 20 seconds for the list, to open but it opened and I could scroll up and down and play any or all of the tracks. I tried it 4 times. No problem here. I don't know,mmaybe you need to reset the device if E erything else is working. .
hmm i tried factory reset no changes.
shenzen audio does not look like they will replace it if only issue is shanling app :frowning2:

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,232 of 1,455
hmm i tried factory reset no changes.
shenzen audio does not look like they will replace it if only issue is shanling app :frowning2:

UAPP and the Shanling app sound identical to me, plus UAPP has gapless and a more user-friendly interface, in my opinion. Shanling app has an issue with not uploading about half of my album art, but that is it for me. I would get UAPP and move on.

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,233 of 1,455
I'm just putting in an order for the M6 21 Pro. I've got the M3X and as far as I'm concerned it out performs the Lotoo PAW 6000. I A/B compared them for weeks. Just sold the the 4X the price Lotoo.

The Lotoo P6K is the single most disappointing experience I've had with a DAP...such a flat lifeless sound. I'm contemplating the M6 21 Pro as a more portable player to compliment my M8.

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,234 of 1,455
UAPP and the Shanling app sound identical to me, plus UAPP has gapless and a more user-friendly interface, in my opinion. Shanling app has an issue with not uploading about half of my album art, but that is it for me. I would get UAPP and move on.
currently use neutron as I already purchased and dont need google play account to be active while uAPP does.

Jul 10, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,235 of 1,455
The Lotoo P6K is the single most disappointing experience I've had with a DAP...such a flat lifeless sound. I'm contemplating the M6 21 Pro as a more portable player to compliment my M8.
Funny. I was just about to PM you. I enjoyed the M3X but The M6 21 Pro is a giant leap above it. There's so much authority and weight to the bottom end without becoming overly warm. The staging is magnificent with plenty of separation between the notes, fantastic resolution and highly resolving. It's like I just got 6 new flagship iems. It's got a substantial feel to it and at 240g it's not the most portable device but it'll certainly be alot more pocketable than your M8. I went for a walk with it in my front pocket last night and it didn't bother me, it's tall, but thin enough. I really couldn't be more pleased.

Jul 10, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,236 of 1,455
Hi no it's not issue with playing mine plays fine. Issue is browsing folder. So go to browse folder and then choose the folder with more then 400 files. Does it load the files on screen?
Sounds to me like there's at least one maybe a couple files that the system doesn't like. In this little test I ran for you, I removed all the image files like album art. All my files are alac .M4a
If everything else about the M6 Pro 21 is working, just not that folder and/or others like it... It's not the player; there's something in the file or file structure. Also, is that folder on internal storage or SD?
I'll delete the folder I tested for you from my internal storage and place it on the SD Card to see, if that makes a difference. I find the UI of the M6P pretty snappy but opening that large folder took time... Like it was going to hang but it eventually opened.

I'll let you know how the SD card test goes.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,237 of 1,455
Sounds to me like there's at least one maybe a couple files that the system doesn't like. In this little test I ran for you, I removed all the image files like album art. All my files are alac .M4a
If everything else about the M6 Pro 21 is working, just not that folder and/or others like it... It's not the player; there's something in the file or file structure. Also, is that folder on internal storage or SD?
I'll delete the folder I tested for you from my internal storage and place it on the SD Card to see, if that makes a difference. I find the UI of the M6P pretty snappy but opening that large folder took time... Like it was going to hang but it eventually opened.

I'll let you know how the SD card test goes.
Thanks for the testing,
My folder was internal storage at first and moved to SD and same issue. Like you mentioned its slow loading but mine crashes the app after about 8 seconds of the loading icon. Maybe there is something in the files it dont like. Dont have any playlists or artwork files. Mainly just mp3s and flac. could be embedded artwork size issue but no idea what size limit there is. @Shanling can you ask your devs if there is a embedded artwork size limit on shanling app?

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,238 of 1,455
@nekromantik & @Shanling OK, I uploaded the forlder to the SD Card and now it crashes the app. I suspect it's because of the slower speed of the SD card and the size of the folder. Anyway, now it's confirmed. No problem on internal storage, problem on card. You may want to break those monster folders in two. :beerchug:

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #1,240 of 1,455
New Updated Shanling USB Drivers

Windows 10 - Version 5.20

Windows 7 / 8 - Version 5.12

Please download and install these new drivers for use of Shanling players as USB DACs

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,241 of 1,455
Is there a manual for this DAP other than the Quick Start Guide it ships with? I'm trying to diagnose some sample rate conversion stuff, and figure out why the MQA indicator light isn't on. And there's a manual for the old M6, but that version, of course, doesn't have MQA capability, so that's no help.

EDIT: So, is it only Shanling's Music app that goes through the lossless version of the audio stack? My Roon output is getting resampled to 192 kHz no matter what the sample rate of the original file. Which is weird, because I thought Android resampled to 48 or whatever.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,242 of 1,455
Is there a manual for this DAP other than the Quick Start Guide it ships with? I'm trying to diagnose some sample rate conversion stuff, and figure out why the MQA indicator light isn't on. And there's a manual for the old M6, but that version, of course, doesn't have MQA capability, so that's no help.

EDIT: So, is it only Shanling's Music app that goes through the lossless version of the audio stack? My Roon output is getting resampled to 192 kHz no matter what the sample rate of the original file. Which is weird, because I thought Android resampled to 48 or whatever.
It's a generic manual for all Shanling Android DAPs. https://en.shanling.com/article-AndroidSetup.html

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,243 of 1,455
I finally installed the latest firmware update and now file sorting in folder view is apparently just completely broken.

Since transferring playlists to the player seems impossible (this is a time-honored Android tradition, playlist transfers on Android have always been extremely cursed), I started exporting my playlists "physically" as in had MusicBee copy the playlist files to a dedicated folder and automatically number the filenames sequentially to preserve the order I want them in.

Now with the most recent update, regardless of which of the options I chose, the Shanling app sorts the files in folder view according to absolutely no discernible logic. Some artists have their tracks grouped together. Some haven't. The files have a clear numbering scheme indicating where they should be in the playlist (01-01, etc). But now the app no longer sorts in adherence to numbers. I also don't see it sorting in accordance to the first letters in a file name. I get DIFFERENT but similarly arbitrary groupings (by artist/album it seems) when sorting by size or duration. This is extremely frustrating as now the only way to reliably transfer elaborate playlists to my M6 no longer works.

I randomly looked into other folders that had albums with multiple artists and there the Shanling app still sorts alphabetically (which means the files are out of intended play order since often these albums come with artist-track number-song title file naming schemes) but at least they are sorted according to a logic I can see. Besides, those files have proper tags so I can play them through album view.

Anyone have any idea what to do here?

Attachments

• IMG_6950.jpeg
    IMG_6950.jpeg
    737.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,244 of 1,455
I finally installed the latest firmware update and now file sorting in folder view is apparently just completely broken.

Since transferring playlists to the player seems impossible (this is a time-honored Android tradition, playlist transfers on Android have always been extremely cursed), I started exporting my playlists "physically" as in had MusicBee copy the playlist files to a dedicated folder and automatically number the filenames sequentially to preserve the order I want them in.

Now with the most recent update, regardless of which of the options I chose, the Shanling app sorts the files in folder view according to absolutely no discernible logic. Some artists have their tracks grouped together. Some haven't. The files have a clear numbering scheme indicating where they should be in the playlist (01-01, etc). But now the app no longer sorts in adherence to numbers. I also don't see it sorting in accordance to the first letters in a file name. I get DIFFERENT but similarly arbitrary groupings (by artist/album it seems) when sorting by size or duration. This is extremely frustrating as now the only way to reliably transfer elaborate playlists to my M6 no longer works.

I randomly looked into other folders that had albums with multiple artists and there the Shanling app still sorts alphabetically (which means the files are out of intended play order since often these albums come with artist-track number-song title file naming schemes) but at least they are sorted according to a logic I can see. Besides, those files have proper tags so I can play them through album view.

I haven't experienced the issues you're indicating here but dont dispute it. I too have the latest firmware. In the shanling app, I have detailed before how I can import playlists. I create the playlist in JRiver and export the the relative path M3U file to the sd Card. Then in Shanling App I Create a new playlist and give it a name. Then I navigate to the folder containing the M3U list and open it. The list of tracks appears and I select all, then "Add To" select the name of the playlist you created in step 1. That works for me

The easiest way to do this is to simply buy the UAPP from Playstore. It automatically picks up and creates playlists from .M3U files and it sorts by both Album Artist and Artist. Its very clean.

Jul 22, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #1,245 of 1,455

For MQA please use Shanling Music app or Tidal. UAPP shall also work, but not sure if they have full version for M6 21 yet.

Most apps goes on M6 without any resampling. Roon issue is different, as it decides by itself that it wants to do resampling to 192.

Yes, folder sorting is quite broken in Shanling app right now. Can only recommend to use some third party app before it gets fixed.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back