Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Mar 6, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #707 of 1,456
Fiio upload official patch for all their daps (for all markets) which activate Google play. Shanling, your turn. Maybe you offer service for paid unlock for Chinese devices?
International version of M6 is fully compatible with Google Play Store. I installed anything I wanted (Youtube, Tidal, Spotify), all worked great for me.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #708 of 1,456
I just ordered my "like new" M6 from Musicteck. I have been a big fan of their DAPs for a couple of years now. Very much looking forward to digging into it!

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #711 of 1,456
Try downloading/sideloading an alternate app store like mobogenie. i found that it has most of the apps the playstore has.
USB player pro only at GP.
I think it's good idea. If Shanling can't give us patch for free, maybe they sell it for the money? Like it was with T-Mobile and locked smartphones.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #712 of 1,456
Hey guys,
Just finished my M6 reviews.
If you are interested in getting one, I have a big surprise at the end of the article so keep reading.
Thanks for that review, very good, thorough write-up imho. You even managed to make the parts about box contents, design, software, etc. entertaining and informative instead of the ritualized slog we have to go through before we can get to the SQ impressions. So many reviewers confuse length with depth...

You state there is still a gap between the M6 and reference DAPs or desktop equipment. It is to be expected since it only costs $500 but of course I am a wild dreamer/clueless fool who would love for those 500 bucks to buy me summit-fi quality :grin:
How would you compare the M6's SQ and character with the DX220? I'm basically balancing getting a new M6 vs a used DX220, I really like the iBasso's full-bodied sound and the richness of its stage ambience. Reminds me of my hybrid tube desktop amp.
What are those reference DAPs you mention - $2000+ DAPs or do you have others in mind?

You didn't have any problem with streaming apps then? Like @uxmal reported a few days ago in this post. By the way @uxmal do you still encounter issues? Anyone else wants to chime in on this?

Mar 8, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #716 of 1,456
No problem streaming with Google Play Music, Qobuz, and Tidal through their respective apps or through UAPP on my M6 (international version).

Lovely sound the the price!

@Shanling Any update on when we can expect gapless or update to next Android version?
Does the gapless work on any other apps such as hiby?

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #718 of 1,456
Fiio upload official patch for all their daps (for all markets) which activate Google play. Shanling, your turn. Maybe you offer service for paid unlock for Chinese devices?
I think it's good idea. If Shanling can't give us patch for free, maybe they sell it for the money? Like it was with T-Mobile and locked smartphones.

Firstly, I'm not sure if you think that this is some special measure by us for geo-locking our devices to some regions. If we would have solution for this, it would be available without any fee.
We will have a look at solution Fiio deployed for their models and will see if it can be used for the few international users who purchased Chinese version of M6.

@Shanling Any update on when we can expect gapless or update to next Android version?

No updates so far.

Does the gapless work on any other apps such as hiby?

Most other apps works fine with gapless, HiBy being one of them.
But I encountered few apps that had some problem with combining gapless with our anti-SRC system, that was causing some tiny gaps.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 12, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #719 of 1,456
I've had a day or so with the M6 and so far, I'm pretty happy with the sound. It's the nicest DAP I've ever owned. But, a couple of things:
  • Would love gapless. Any good music apps out there currently doing gapless on the M6?
  • Control buttons don't work when screen is off despite the preferences being set to make them work.
  • The lock screen is weird. It's in military time and uses Chinese characters despite setting my preferences differently. Also the English words are in a completely different font than the rest of the entire app. It looks like a mistake haha! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #720 of 1,456
Firstly, I'm not sure if you think that this is some special measure by us for geo-locking our devices to some regions. If we would have solution for this, it would be available without any fee.
We will have a look at solution Fiio deployed for their models and will see if it can be used for the few international users who purchased Chinese version of M6.

No updates so far.

Most other apps works fine with gapless, HiBy being one of them.
But I encountered few apps that had some problem with combining gapless with our anti-SRC system, that was causing some tiny gaps.

If I can modifiy your international firmware rom the same day you posted it to be able to overwrite the chinese rom then something doesn't quite add up ? I purposely never posted anything as I thought you were geo-locking. The chinese version is cheaper than the international version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back