Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Jan 24, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #616 of 1,455
This looks like the player I'm after.
Where in the UK can I buy this and it's OK to return if not?
I already had purchased the iBasso DX160 from Amazon but had to return it cause of the really crap WiFi. I can't stress how awful it was.
The sound though was really to my liking having come from the Shanling M0, UP2 & Hidizs AP80.
I'm interested in good WiFi for I'm testing out Amazon Music HD which sounds good to me.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #617 of 1,455
Hello, new to the forum and an absolute novice so please bear with me. I just bought the M6 2 weeks ago strictly to be used as my main music player for my workouts at my local Y. Pretty simple set up and nothing fancy. I simply popped in my SD micro card which had all my favorite tunes on it and I was ready to go. Lucky for me that's about as technical as my limited skills can handle. I use the M6 strictly for Bluetooth operation with my Apple Powerbeats Pro earbuds. I originally had the M2X player and loved it but it just was a total pain to connect to the Beats and stay paired. Some days at the gym it would work and many other times it wouldn't. I finally went with the M6 hoping that bigger and better would work with my Beats. So far after 4 uses it has paired flawlessly and sounds great. I do however experience a few hiccups/disconnects when listening to my music. This happens every couple of songs and really lasts only a micro second or so but still is noticeable to my ears. I'm hoping this gets better and maybe any new updates with solve the problem??

So again it works great so far and outside of the Bluetooth hiccups and the larger size and weight (compared to the M2X) I'm very happy.

Many thanks, Ken

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #618 of 1,455
Hello, new to the forum and an absolute novice so please bear with me. I just bought the M6 2 weeks ago strictly to be used as my main music player for my workouts at my local Y. Pretty simple set up and nothing fancy. I simply popped in my SD micro card which had all my favorite tunes on it and I was ready to go. Lucky for me that's about as technical as my limited skills can handle. I use the M6 strictly for Bluetooth operation with my Apple Powerbeats Pro earbuds. I originally had the M2X player and loved it but it just was a total pain to connect to the Beats and stay paired. Some days at the gym it would work and many other times it wouldn't. I finally went with the M6 hoping that bigger and better would work with my Beats. So far after 4 uses it has paired flawlessly and sounds great. I do however experience a few hiccups/disconnects when listening to my music. This happens every couple of songs and really lasts only a micro second or so but still is noticeable to my ears. I'm hoping this gets better and maybe any new updates with solve the problem??

So again it works great so far and outside of the Bluetooth hiccups and the larger size and weight (compared to the M2X) I'm very happy.

Many thanks, Ken

What Bluetooth codec are you using to connect to the powerbeats? Maybe selecting a different one on the M6 can give you a more stable connection.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #619 of 1,455
Hi Ken, welcome to the forum. I mostly use my players at the gym but always wired. I dare say there is a large amount of bluetooth trafic in a crouded gym causing interference. The Bluetooth on your phone may work better? it will also sound the same as the M6 on bluetooth as all the sound quality (Digital to Analog conversion and amplification) is determined by the circuitry in the headphones and not the M6.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #620 of 1,455
welcome Ken.

when I exercise (running mostly) I use my small Shanling M0 for convenience, not bluetooth, but wired. this way you get best sound quality possible. If you bought the M6 to use with any wireless head set I think you over spent your money and could better stay with your phone.

rather I strongly recomend you get a good pair of IEMs and use all the capabilities of the M6, DAC, analog stage, balanced architecture, etc. I asure you, you will be blown away!

for entry, Mid level IEM I recommend you look at FiiO, even the FH1 sound amazing, these are the ones I use when running...

good luck....

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #621 of 1,455
You're right and I was told the exact same thing as far as why am I using the $500 M6 DAP for Bluetooth. Basically, what are you thinking, total overkill!! Well that is why I went initially with the M2x. It was only a couple hundred dollars and was small and lightweight. Pretty much perfect for my needs but again it was a total failure for my Bluetooth needs.

So I had the money and figured OK lets get the flagship player, the M6. Again hoping for flawless Bluetooth connectivity with a more expensive DAP although not necessarily adding anything to SQ with the PowerBeats earbuds. At least that's what I've been told. To my ear it sounds better but then again it may be all in my head because of the amount of money I just spent on this thing!! I n all honesty it would probably sound the same with a $100 Apple ipod touch!!. Who knows?

Anyway I can still return the M6 via Amazon. I was going to go with the Hilby R5 as it was smaller, lighter and had pretty good reviews but again it all came down to the BT connectivity issue. If the R5 has zero connectivity issues maybe that's the one to go with. I guess the jury is still out on that one. Any thoughts or suggestions on the R5 or other cheaper players would be most welcome.

Thanks for listening, Ken

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #622 of 1,455
While you are in these big leagues of portable gear, M6, R5, etc.... you may take the opportunity to get into Hi-ress audio which must be wired, get a pair of IEMs and reach heaven... you will discover music like never before...cheers.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #623 of 1,455
You're right and I was told the exact same thing as far as why am I using the $500 M6 DAP for Bluetooth. Basically, what are you thinking, total overkill!! Well that is why I went initially with the M2x. It was only a couple hundred dollars and was small and lightweight. Pretty much perfect for my needs but again it was a total failure for my Bluetooth needs.

So I had the money and figured OK lets get the flagship player, the M6. Again hoping for flawless Bluetooth connectivity with a more expensive DAP although not necessarily adding anything to SQ with the PowerBeats earbuds. At least that's what I've been told. To my ear it sounds better but then again it may be all in my head because of the amount of money I just spent on this thing!! I n all honesty it would probably sound the same with a $100 Apple ipod touch!!. Who knows?

Anyway I can still return the M6 via Amazon. I was going to go with the Hilby R5 as it was smaller, lighter and had pretty good reviews but again it all came down to the BT connectivity issue. If the R5 has zero connectivity issues maybe that's the one to go with. I guess the jury is still out on that one. Any thoughts or suggestions on the R5 or other cheaper players would be most welcome.

Thanks for listening, Ken

I agree when you say that M6 sounds better than the smartphone with bluetooth.
Every smartphone have different sound signature also at the bluetooth signal.

I think it's the bluetooth 4 on the M6 what makes the signal bad.
With Bluetooth 5 you have better signal.
I have much better signal when i use the Shanling Up2 or Up4 @ bluetooth 5.0.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #624 of 1,455
This looks like the player I'm after.
Where in the UK can I buy this and it's OK to return if not?
I already had purchased the iBasso DX160 from Amazon but had to return it cause of the really crap WiFi. I can't stress how awful it was.
The sound though was really to my liking having come from the Shanling M0, UP2 & Hidizs AP80.
I'm interested in good WiFi for I'm testing out Amazon Music HD which sounds good to me.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
hifiheadphones currently have it in stock. Not sure on the returns part. Fire them an email before hand or have a look on the site. Ordered from them before and not had any trouble. Tempted to press order my self aside from the no gapless thing on the native app :frowning2:

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #625 of 1,455
I have UK stock of the international version but don't really offer trial and returns unfortunately, maybe one day when i'm big enough. 'This time next year rodders' :ksc75smile:

Got some M15 in, spot the difference!

IMG_20200127_172002.jpg IMG_20200127_172058.jpg IMG_20200127_172107.jpg IMG_20200127_172128.jpg IMG_20200127_172149.jpg IMG_20200127_172217.jpg IMG_20200127_172236.jpg IMG_20200127_172257.jpg

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #626 of 1,455
hifiheadphones currently have it in stock. Not sure on the returns part. Fire them an email before hand or have a look on the site. Ordered from them before and not had any trouble. Tempted to press order my self aside from the no gapless thing on the native app :frowning2:
Thanks, looks interesting!
Can anyone confirm the player works with Amazon Music HD and UAPP?
These are the two main apps I would be using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back