Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Jan 13, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #586 of 1,455
Thank you for clarifiying that this is your software. That is as I suspected, and was reacting to a post stating otherwise.

In the next sofftware rev I would be very interested in going straight to Andoid 9 64 bit; with SACD ISO support and as much as possible smooth gapless performance.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #587 of 1,455
Hi guys, I can’t seem to use this app or YouTube Music due to the “Google Play Services not being supported”.
Any help or guidance with this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #590 of 1,455
Here is what my screen looks like

Any way to get rid of the chinese characters and set the time to 12-hour? The time in the status is in the correct format.

I see, so problem is in the moment when Shanling player is shown on lock screen.
Reported to software team.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 14, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #591 of 1,455
Here is what my screen looks like

Any way to get rid of the chinese characters and set the time to 12-hour? The time in the status is in the correct format.

Just checked, and mine is indeed showing this. I just wasn't playing music with the Shanling player last time so it didn't show up.

I see, so problem is in the moment when Shanling player is shown on lock screen.
Reported to software team.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #593 of 1,455
Anybody is using full paid Onkyo HF player? Looking for some confirmation about it.

Thank you.

Everything samples to 48k for some reason, using HF Player. I have the latest full version 2.70.

Would it be possible on the next update to include the stock lower navigation bar? The gestures don't always register forward and back throughout all apps. Also a full black/dark mode would be awesome.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #594 of 1,455
This re-sampling to 48Khz is not aceptable. ! have tried this in home home audio system (using Jriver--> Ygdrassil DAC) and there some weird sound texture, all music should played on its native bit depth and sampling freq, and manatain as much as posible a bit perfect stream upto the DAC chips..... I´m asuming the stock player does not resample. any toughts?

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #595 of 1,455
This re-sampling to 48Khz is not aceptable. ! have tried this in home home audio system (using Jriver--> Ygdrassil DAC) and there some weird sound texture, all music should played on its native bit depth and sampling freq, and manatain as much as posible a bit perfect stream upto the DAC chips..... I´m asuming the stock player does not resample. any toughts?

Do you have a M6, that you are feeding into your Yggy?

The Shanling amp works great, Hiby Music works great and Neutron works great. So you have options.

UAPP works but I thing they need to add the M6 to their driver system. Poweramp needs to be updated.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #596 of 1,455
Not yet have an M6, ready as soon as I travel to the USA where I can get it. I plan to purchase my next DAP that will be my every day go to. but I have done extensive A-B comparissons on SQ using the PC Jriver player feeding my Yggy, obviously in my home stereo too. overall I want the files to deliver best SQ at the reasonable file size so I can Ioad as much as posible in a 512GB SD. I think I have nail down the sweet spot to balance these 2 aspects FLAC and hires flac will remain as such. DSD i plan to convert them to 24b 44.1Khz. This will take a while but it is OK.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #597 of 1,455
After some days of usage, here are my first thoughts on the Shanling M6:
I love the form factor, it rests in my hand very well and the screen is bigger than my Hiby R6. The lack of soft key navigation is problematic for me as I am not a fan of the gesture navigation but I added some with an app now. It's not ideal because it doesn't resize the screen, it's just an overlay but it will do for now.
The 3.5mm and 2.5mm ports are great, they click and they feel very secure compared to the R6. I haven't used the 4.4mm so I can't comment on that.
Connectivity: that was my main reason to upgrade, my hiby R6 Wi-Fi is not good (I'm polite) and I can't stream Tidal on the move at work. I need to have it stay in one spot where the Wi-Fi is the strongest. Drives me nuts. So I am happy to report that the Shanling M6 is almost as good as my galaxy s10 Wi-Fi. It's very nice to walk around with the player and not worry about losing connection. For the Bluetooth, I have not used it extensively yet so I can't comment on it but my UE Booms and Megabooms seemed to like the M6 just fine. Need to test with my wireless iems.
Sound: I love the sound of my R6 in balanced mode and I love the sound of the M6 in balanced mode. They sound fairly similar but maybe the M6 has more details in the mids and treble. The bass is either a wash or the R6 has a smidge more.

Overall the M6 is a very impressive device and I am happy with the purchase. I wish the device would come with screen protector already applied and a basic case in the box... But those are minor details.
Shanling, update the M6 to Android 9 64bit, add the navigation bar to your Android build (and release the kernel source?) and then you will have the perfect $500 DAP. 20200115_152156.jpg

Jan 15, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #598 of 1,455
Everything samples to 48k for some reason, using HF Player. I have the latest full version 2.70.

Would it be possible on the next update to include the stock lower navigation bar? The gestures don't always register forward and back throughout all apps. Also a full black/dark mode would be awesome.

Thank you for confirmation, we got this report and will look further into it. Just wanted to check if there isn't some hidden resampling setting(especially in paid full version) that we are missing. I think this is first app that we are seeing that's simply stuck at 48 and not wokring nicely with our system.

It seems to be only problem with Onkyo HF app, tons of other apps are working fine without any forced resampling.

After some days of usage, here are my first thoughts on the Shanling M6:
I love the form factor, it rests in my hand very well and the screen is bigger than my Hiby R6. The lack of soft key navigation is problematic for me as I am not a fan of the gesture navigation but I added some with an app now. It's not ideal because it doesn't resize the screen, it's just an overlay but it will do for now.
The 3.5mm and 2.5mm ports are great, they click and they feel very secure compared to the R6. I haven't used the 4.4mm so I can't comment on that.
Connectivity: that was my main reason to upgrade, my hiby R6 Wi-Fi is not good (I'm polite) and I can't stream Tidal on the move at work. I need to have it stay in one spot where the Wi-Fi is the strongest. Drives me nuts. So I am happy to report that the Shanling M6 is almost as good as my galaxy s10 Wi-Fi. It's very nice to walk around with the player and not worry about losing connection. For the Bluetooth, I have not used it extensively yet so I can't comment on it but my UE Booms and Megabooms seemed to like the M6 just fine. Need to test with my wireless iems.
Sound: I love the sound of my R6 in balanced mode and I love the sound of the M6 in balanced mode. They sound fairly similar but maybe the M6 has more details in the mids and treble. The bass is either a wash or the R6 has a smidge more.

Overall the M6 is a very impressive device and I am happy with the purchase. I wish the device would come with screen protector already applied and a basic case in the box... But those are minor details.
Shanling, update the M6 to Android 9 64bit, add the navigation bar to your Android build (and release the kernel source?) and then you will have the perfect $500 DAP.

Regarding buttons, should be adding them in some future update.

For screen protector, it's long lasting opinion at Shanling, that all screen protectors looks bad on our devices, so it's in package but not applied. This goes back few years to old M1.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 16, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #599 of 1,455
I am stuck between the Shaning M6 and the Hiby Pro 6.
Has anyone listened to both ?
I see above the Shaning M6 is similar to the older Hiby 6 so i am guessing the new Hiby Pro 6 is better than the Shaning M6.
Thoughts anyone ?
Looking to buy in the next 2 weeks.
My old dap that i have sold was the Fiio X7 and i loved that but wanted something new.

Jan 16, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #600 of 1,455
I am stuck between the Shaning M6 and the Hiby Pro 6.
Has anyone listened to both ?
I see above the Shaning M6 is similar to the older Hiby 6 so i am guessing the new Hiby Pro 6 is better than the Shaning M6.
Thoughts anyone ?
Looking to buy in the next 2 weeks.
My old dap that i have sold was the Fiio X7 and i loved that but wanted something new.

My old R6Pro had some EMI shielding/interference problems so I would not recommend it. Sound was good though. M6 is still on its way so I can't say which is better yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back