Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #511 of 1,455
Thanks for confirming @Redmasta. I've got a long history with Shanling DAPs starting with their first DAP (the venerable ME), and I've helped organize tours for several of their DAPs through the M3s. Those earlier Shanling DAPs have served me well as have their mini-DAC/Amps (UP & UP4), and the M6 is the one I've been holding out for.

If I can ask, is the M6 your first DAP? Can you let me know how it compares to your other methods of consuming portable audio?

It is my second DAP.
I own the Up2, the Up4 and the M6.
M1 was my first contact with shanling.
Most of the time i use the M6 with ME500 PE and ME700 31th edition.
At fitness i connect the Up4 to the M6 (LDAC) that's also nice.
And sometimes i connect (LDAC) the Up4 my smartphone, but than i hear the mainstream sounding of the phone and it's not sounding well like the M6.
In the end the M6 makes the best sound experience of all my players and stuff i got until now.
It's powerfull, rich of micro details, very dynamic and natural.
The only thing i don't like is to use it without the leathercase, because it's very slippery.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #512 of 1,455
Thanks for the quick answer @Shanling. Much appreciated!

I think I remember you mentioned that the engineers are working on gapless implementation in the Shanling Music app. Is that correct?

Can you (or someone else, perhaps) please confirm whether Google Play Music, Neutron, and PowerAmp,Qobuz , Tidal apps have gapless? Many thanks!

Not noticed any gaps in Neutron.

Dec 30, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #513 of 1,455
It is my second DAP.
I own the Up2, the Up4 and the M6.
M1 was my first contact with shanling.
Most of the time i use the M6 with ME500 PE and ME700 31th edition.
At fitness i connect the Up4 to the M6 (LDAC) that's also nice.
And sometimes i connect (LDAC) the Up4 my smartphone, but than i hear the mainstream sounding of the phone and it's not sounding well like the M6.
In the end the M6 makes the best sound experience of all my players and stuff i got until now.
It's powerfull, rich of micro details, very dynamic and natural.
The only thing i don't like is to use it without the leathercase, because it's very slippery.

You're quite the Shanling enthusiast!

A bit off-topic for the thread, but I'm wondering what Bluetooth connection your phone supports. I'm using OnePlus 7 Pro Tidal to UP4 via LDAC, and it sounds quite impressive for such a small device!

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #514 of 1,455
New firmware update V2.74 for M6.

Use OTA update on M6 or Download from Google Drive (warning, 800MB file)
Changes and fixes:
1. Adjusted charging behavior when device reaches 100%
2. Fixed gain selector issue
3. Adjusted language files
4. Other bug fixes

M6 firmware update.jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 31, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #515 of 1,455
You're quite the Shanling enthusiast!

A bit off-topic for the thread, but I'm wondering what Bluetooth connection your phone supports. I'm using OnePlus 7 Pro Tidal to UP4 via LDAC, and it sounds quite impressive for such a small device!

Yes that's true, the up4 is very nice and the sound is very good at LDAC. But Smartphones have very different sounding also with using bluetooth. You can connect your Up4 to the laptop/Pc via usb cable and then you can compare it to your bluetooth phone sound.
I tried the Up2 and Up4 with iphone 11 pro max, Oneplus 7t and Google pixel 4xl. Every phone phone have big difference in sounding. With the M6 i got the most natural sound.

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #516 of 1,455
After update I was confused by changing sound signature. Many highs and more thin bass.

Am I wrong?
Listened same track yesterday and today right after update.
Soundstage became wider by poison highs, but I'm not like this.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #517 of 1,455
After update I was confused by changing sound signature. Many highs and more thin bass.

Am I wrong?
Listened same track yesterday and today right after update.
Soundstage became wider by poison highs, but I'm not like this.

I think this is for the ME700 because they have not much highs and for my taste a little bit too much bass.
With the new sound signature the ME700 sounds much better for my taste.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #522 of 1,455
Yesterday I've done my shootout between m6 and m11pro. M6 done as a winner. Only loosing in power and Ui, sound really stronger and truly. Very clear and wide, great separation and depth on M6 side. M11 has more expensive and experienced hardware but fiio again loose their chance. Sound full of highs, weak mids. Bass is good, but not amazing.

Today update shift sound signature closer to M11pro. But still not confirmed by others.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #523 of 1,455
Yesterday I've done my shootout between m6 and m11pro. M6 done as a winner. Only loosing in power and Ui, sound really stronger and truly. Very clear and wide, great separation and depth on M6 side. M11 has more expensive and experienced hardware but fiio again loose their chance. Sound full of highs, weak mids. Bass is good, but not amazing.

Today update shift sound signature closer to M11pro. But still not confirmed by others.

My findings too against M11Pro and N6II A01/T01

No sound change on latest firmware for me but I'm using Neutron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back