Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Jan 29, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #633 of 1,455
Decided to check back in on the M6 to see where it stands.

Seems my concerns over firmware updates is coming to fruition. What are we at 6 or 7 so far and barely released to the International Market. Looking at around $700 CDN plus import duties and taxes. Way to much to pay for a DAP with such half baked firmware, alot more firmware updates to come I am sure. At this rate Shanling could set a world record for firmware updates for one device. Maybe in 5 or 6 months it might be worth taking another look. I applaud Shanling for being diligent with the firmware releases but I also think it was released way to early and Shanling should have waited until development was further along. Head-fi members may not mind all the firmware updates but my many years in audio sales tells me most buyers won't be happy with the litany of firmware updates at least in North America.

This is really disappointing because I truly believe Shanling makes the best sounding DAP's for the money. The software side is Shanling's weak spot. If I buy a Shanling DAP in the near future I will likely stick with their simpler designed units like the M2X and soon to be released Q1. The Q1 looks like a really nice ultra portable DAP with great battery life. I will stick with my Fiio M9 for now. Hoping the M3X is still to come at some point, would be nice to have a DAP between the M2X and M5X.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #634 of 1,455
Decided to check back in on the M6 to see where it stands.

Seems my concerns over firmware updates is coming to fruition. What are we at 6 or 7 so far and barely released to the International Market. Looking at around $700 CDN plus import duties and taxes. Way to much to pay for a DAP with such half baked firmware, alot more firmware updates to come I am sure. At this rate Shanling could set a world record for firmware updates for one device. Maybe in 5 or 6 months it might be worth taking another look. I applaud Shanling for being diligent with the firmware releases but I also think it was released way to early and Shanling should have waited until development was further along. Head-fi members may not mind all the firmware updates but my many years in audio sales tells me most buyers won't be happy with the litany of firmware updates at least in North America.

This is really disappointing because I truly believe Shanling makes the best sounding DAP's for the money. The software side is Shanling's weak spot. If I buy a Shanling DAP in the near future I will likely stick with their simpler designed units like the M2X and soon to be released Q1. The Q1 looks like a really nice ultra portable DAP with great battery life. I will stick with my Fiio M9 for now. Hoping the M3X is still to come at some point, would be nice to have a DAP between the M2X and M5X.

Not sure what your on about really, i've had one since first released in china, installed neutron (as I do on all android daps) and it's amazing and not had any issues. You don't have to use a players bundled player if that's what you are on about? You can use Hiby, Fiio, Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp etc all with hires support.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #635 of 1,455
Not sure what your on about really, i've had one since first released in china, installed neutron (as I do on all android daps) and it's amazing and not had any issues. You don't have to use a players bundled player if that's what you are on about? You can use Hiby, Fiio, Neutron, UAPP, Poweramp etc all with hires support.

He has high standards and expectancies. Just check some other DAP threads and you will know what he is on about :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #636 of 1,455
He has high standards and expectancies. Just check some other DAP threads and you will know what he is on about :)

When you are spending over $700 on a DAP you are darn right my standards are high. When I am spending that kind of money I want a finished product not one with promised features and fixes I have to wait months for and may never get. Nothing wrong with holding manufacturers to high standards, especially when there are so many DAP's to choose from. Some people are okey with the never ending firmware update chain, I am not one of them. What would be the harm in waiting a few months and releasing a DAP with more complete firmware and features instead of making your customers unpaid beta testers and charging them full price for the honor? Why couldn't Shanling have waited a bit and released the M6 with the firmware already at the what now 2.74 version?

Shanling is already promising more firmware updates so obviously they feel things still need to be improved. If this was a $150 Q1 I would be a little more understanding with all the firmware updates but not for a $700 CDN DAP. I really like Shanling as a company, I have actually demoed a number of their home audio products and would love to own another one of their DAP's. Unfortunately only some of their units get released in Canada and I never got the chance to demo an M2X. This might be part of the problem, I know from doing audio sales that alot of people here aren't use to having to update the products they buy themselves over months of ownership. I have owned my own business for many years and I would be out of business if I did business like this.

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #639 of 1,455
When you are spending over $700 on a DAP you are darn right my standards are high. When I am spending that kind of money I want a finished product not one with promised features and fixes I have to wait months for and may never get. Nothing wrong with holding manufacturers to high standards, especially when there are so many DAP's to choose from. Some people are okey with the never ending firmware update chain, I am not one of them. What would be the harm in waiting a few months and releasing a DAP with more complete firmware and features instead of making your customers unpaid beta testers and charging them full price for the honor? Why couldn't Shanling have waited a bit and released the M6 with the firmware already at the what now 2.74 version?

Shanling is already promising more firmware updates so obviously they feel things still need to be improved. If this was a $150 Q1 I would be a little more understanding with all the firmware updates but not for a $700 CDN DAP. I really like Shanling as a company, I have actually demoed a number of their home audio products and would love to own another one of their DAP's. Unfortunately only some of their units get released in Canada and I never got the chance to demo an M2X. This might be part of the problem, I know from doing audio sales that alot of people here aren't use to having to update the products they buy themselves over months of ownership. I have owned my own business for many years and I would be out of business if I did business like this.

So... you buy a PC and it has regular updates, the same with Apple products, Android phones, hi-fi streamers, cameras etc... Firmware updates are part of owning a new technological device, every new customer knows that. 20-30 years ago it was slightly different, but in the current market it is perfectly normal, and a good sign, that firmware updates are regular. It shows the brands are supporting their products.

Jan 30, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #641 of 1,455
So... you buy a PC and it has regular updates, the same with Apple products, Android phones, hi-fi streamers, cameras etc... Firmware updates are part of owning a new technological device, every new customer knows that. 20-30 years ago it was slightly different, but in the current market it is perfectly normal, and a good sign, that firmware updates are regular. It shows the brands are supporting their products.
Couldn't agree more!
I received my order of this player off your good selves yesterday and I must say it is excellent.
Great sound with stock player, UAPP and good WiFi connection for Amazon Music HD.
I had to return iBasso DX160 to Amazon cause of unusable WiFi.
I have Shanling M0 and have always appreciated their continuing support via software updates.
Long may that continue!

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #642 of 1,455
I am pretty close to being a Shanling Fanboy. Having said that, for my needs the firmware still isn't where I need it to be. So I am holding off the purchase of this unit.

The Cayin N5II experience has made me careful on Android units. I trusted them to deliver and they did not. So since then, when it comes to Android, products have to be where I want them to be before buying. My experience with Shanling has been nothing but excellent since the M2 (which was a dud for me). To be specific the M0 and M2S have been terrific. But Android for audio appears to be tricky.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back