Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Oct 4, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #121 of 1,456
Interessted in some impressions too. Especially about tonality. Sony ZX300 is a bit dull and unexciting sounding due to its Class D Amp. M11 a bit digital and clinical. But i havent heard the rest...
Agree about M11. I don't understand why FiiO had to depart from the X5iii sound. That was an excellent device tonally in my book. They could have sticked with that by refining and ''silencing'' its amp section instead of developing a ''reference-sounding'' M11.

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #123 of 1,456
M6 had arrived when I got home left on the wheel of my truck for all to see :/ good work yodel. No impressions other than beautiful fast device, firmware ota updating while i type this.

IMG_20191005_175920.jpg

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #124 of 1,456
M6 had arrived when I got home left on the wheel of my truck for all to see :/ good work yodel. No impressions other than beautiful fast device, firmware ota updating while i type this.

Look forward to hearing your impressions

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #125 of 1,456

Yes Please. Really interested to know about the interface. I have the M5s and the UP and have been very hppy with both. My M5s replaced an AK240 and I prefer the M5 so I'm sure the M6 with Dual DACS even in SE will sound stellar, but would love to know about the music player and UI now that android is the backbone as opposed their own Linux based OS

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #126 of 1,456
Early days yet but finding the M6 mostly awesome with some (hopefully temporary) shortfalls. The Shanling written music player is really nice looking. First stumbling block though is it doesn't change its language to what android is set to so its all in chinese, i was about to disable it before deciding to click through all its menus and voala, found english. Second thing you notice: its one of the slowest apps i've seen for scanning music in. Now to playing , wow watch out fiio (and anyone else for that matter. this dap has the most bass i've come accross in a dap it actually sounded pretty good to me without eq (probably a first :ksc75smile:) enabling shanlings EQ and volume is probably dropped about 6db. EQ frequency wise seems to work well but the change to the sound is a few seconds behind moving the slider which is super annoying and so i disabled the app and moved on to neutron. Next wiedity, Neutron ARM8 64bit wont install, says not compatible, hmmm, wierd. Anyway installed ARM7 Neon. Couldn't copy my config from 64bit (could for theme/peq) Went and configured the generic driver, could only hear sound in mono whatever I chose, doh. Ok so left it on default hires one. This will only allow me to select 192khz compared to 384khz in M11/M11PRO N6II, DX200/220, R6/PRO.
Earlydays compatibility asside i'm seriously impressed. Using the peq settings copied from my m11pro I dropped 33hz down from 9db to 7db and upped 16000hz from 5db to 7db.
This is all listening on both devices from SE. This is the first time listening to the higher than normal spec AK4495SEQ and i'm unsure what opamps etc shanling are using but this is serious competition to the awesome M11PRO at an M11 price. Fiio may have been out Fiio'd especially if they can sort that ARM8 64bit issue, i'm sure neutron will catch-up supportwise. Oh and I didn't mention it is noticably slower to boot than M11/PRO, R6/PRO and N6ii, hopefully they can improve that.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #127 of 1,456
Early days yet but finding the M6 mostly awesome with some (hopefully temporary) shortfalls. The Shanling written music player is really nice looking. First stumbling block though is it doesn't change its language to what android is set to so its all in chinese, i was about to disable it before deciding to click through all its menus and voala, found english. Second thing you notice: its one of the slowest apps i've seen for scanning in music in. Now to playing , wow watch out fiio (and anyone else for that matter. this dap has the most bass i've come accross in a dap it actually sounded pretty good to me without eq (probably a first :ksc75smile:) enabling shanling eq and volume is probably dropped about 6db. EQ frequency wise seems to work well but the change to the sound is a few seconds behind moving the slider which is super annoying and so i disabled the app and on to neutron. Next weidity, Neutron ARM8 64bit wont install, says not compatible, hmmm, wierd. Anyway installed ARM7 Neon. Couldn't copy my config from 64bit (could for theme/peq) Went and configured the generic driver, could only hear sound in mono whatever I chose, doh. Ok so left it on default hires one. This will only allow me to select 192khz compared to 384khz in M11/M11PRO N6II, DX200/220, R6/PRO.
Earlydays compatibility asside i'm seriously impressed. Using the peq settings copied from my m11pro I dropped 33hz down from 9db to 7db and upped 16000hz from 5db to 7db.
This is all listening on both devices from SE. This is the first time listening to the higher than normal spec AK4495SEQ and i'm unsure what opamps etc shanling are using but this is serious competition to the awesome M11PRO at an M11 price. Fiio may have been out Fiio'd especially if they can sort that ARM8 64bit issue, i'm sure neutron will catchip supportwise. Oh and I didn't mention it is noticably slower to boot than M11/PRO, R6/PRO and N6ii, hopefully they can improve that.
Good stuff mate. This player sounds lovely ke it has serious potential. Let us know more as you discover

Oct 5, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #129 of 1,456
. Oh and I didn't mention it is noticably slower to boot than M11/PRO, R6/PRO and N6ii, hopefully they can improve that.
When you say slower to boot .... how long. I've got the M5 and find it boots pretty quick. Never timed it but it's fast. Also with last firmware, on the M5 if I add albums, I dont need to rescan the entire library, just the updated folders ..... which is super convenient and fast!

Oct 5, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #131 of 1,456
Update on shanling music app.
Re-enabled to have another go, reconfirm its really nice looking. Final confirmation that the EQ is garbage. If you change say 33hz to +5 and note how it sounds, change 62hz to +5db and then back to 0. The original 33hz +5db sounds nothing like you first noted.

Speed in use feels fast but ANTUTU confirms its not anywhere near the current king(s) FIIO M11/PRO

IMG_20191006_000128.jpg

Confirmation why Neutron ARM8 64bit wouldnt install.

IMG_20191006_000147.jpg

Reconfirmation that it sounds freaking stellar with neutron :L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

@Shanling any news when this will move onto 64bit Android?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #132 of 1,456
Update on shanling music app.
Re-enabled to have another go, reconfirm its really nice looking. Final confirmation that the EQ is garbage. If you change say 33hz to +5 and note how it sounds, change 62hz to +5db and then back to 0. The original 33hz +5db sounds nothing like you first noted.

Speed in use feels fast but ANTUTU confirms its not anywhere near the current king(s) FIIO M11/PRO

Confirmation why Neutron ARM8 64bit wouldnt install.

Reconfirmation that it sounds freaking stellar with neutron :L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

@Shanling any news when this will move onto 64bit Android?
Very encouraging reports. I'm not concerned with the ANTUTU results. I'd used it solely as a music player and transport so no computing requirements from me. It looks pretty respectable.

In terms of shut down, boot up I just timed the M5s. From Button Push To Result: Shutdown 4 seconds Boot Up 7 Seconds Pretty quick in my books my old AK120 & 240 took forever

Oct 5, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #133 of 1,456
its probably only 4 secs slower for android booting. I'll time the whole thing on each later. I got too used to LPGT 2 Sec boot and Cowon 7 Second.

M11/Pro boots to launcher with neutron widget in 19secs, M6 to the same in 24secs, both have been tweaked, not needed apps removed/disabled.

Shutdown M11/Pro 2 secs, M6 12 secs

Remember this is shanlings first android device.
With more work they should be able to get to R6/Pro N6ii speeds, at least, as the soc is slightly better.

Yep I remember the M5s having fast boot/gui

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back