Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Mar 22, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,951 of 2,497
I can't speak to the HD800 or HE560 but I have the HD6XX and HE400i and it powers them just fine. The volume level is getting up there but no clipping. I am also running both of those in balanced mode...love the signature from this.

Thanks for the reply. The HE400i and especially the HD650 are warmer sounding than the HD800S and even more so the HE560 so I think they will need a different signature from the source(s) to sound their best. As an example I tend to enjoy the HD650 the most (although I'm really not that found of them) from a very neutral sounding source while I prefer a warmer source or tubes somewhere in the path with the HD800S and HE560.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,952 of 2,497
Thanks for the reply. The HE400i and especially the HD650 are warmer sounding than the HD800S and even more so the HE560 so I think they will need a different signature from the source(s) to sound their best. As an example I tend to enjoy the HD650 the most (although I'm really not that found of them) from a very neutral sounding source while I prefer a warmer source or tubes somewhere in the path with the HD800S and HE560.

Yeah, I realized the real differences once I posted. I really dig the warm sound and love that warm tube sound. Sometimes I go too deep and get very dark. Just can't take too much treble these days. I like clarity but age is making crave warmer stuff...anyway, I still think the M5S is a decent unit for the cost, despite some of the shortcomings pointed out in the thread. It's got decent enough power to drive most headphones.
Cheers.

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,954 of 2,497
and how do they play NightOwl with M5s?
anyone tried maybe?

They play pretty good with the NightOwls .... volume has to be > 90 for them to sound great .. I like the combo real good!

Nightowl_Shangling_M5s.jpg

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #1,957 of 2,497
Exactly, and the same for forward (both on physical side buttons)

in a table, what is happening now: (the same in forward button)

But again, there's no perfect player no matter the price, and I think M5s is great and beauty. I know a lot of people are reading this thread because they are still deciding between this and the similar offer than other brands have. Listen to me, go with Shanling... they had the personality to create the Mtouch System and they did it very well. It is just amazing how a company, without the numbers of Sony and Apple, can bring to us a product of this quality without using the focking and ugly Android.... bravo Shanling

I will see if we can adjust the rewind speed, to be slowly growing and not as rapid as it's now.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 26, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #1,958 of 2,497
Wow, the M5S looks and feels so much nicer in person than in photos. It feels fantastic in the hand. :raised_hand: So far it sounds great but I'll give it some burn-in before I do any critical listening.

Shanling M5S keyboard.jpg

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,963 of 2,497
I would really like it if I was able to play/sort music by genre. I am hopeful this feature can be added in future software versions. I noticed that when I look at the info for a specific song I can see; Album, Genre, File Size, Codec, Bits/Sample, etc.. So there shouldn't be any reason that I can't view/play my music based upon genre. Shanling if you could add this feature I (and probably many others) would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #1,965 of 2,497
Can't wait for the next update to the M5s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back