Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #2,206 of 2,497
I also own the m0 which i still use as a LDAC bluetooth player for my phone.
It's fantastic value that's for sure..
But i wanted something better for the home and the car when connected to an external dac.
So i bought the m5s.
In terms of sound quality, it's really fantastic snd better then the m0 for sure.
The only downside is the inability to use a Bluetooth remote to control it like a fiio remote.

It is troublesome most times when i want to skip tracks. I was excited about the m6 because its it
it's android and maybe that will finally be able to use a remote since the m5s cant...
But I've already been told by shanling it also can't :frowning2:
It might seem like a minor thing for most people but for that its important enough that i wont buy another shanling player.

Everyones needs are different. There are some products that don't support features that I want and unfortunately they are no longer in consideration.

I can tell you that my home system is using the Radson ES100 connected to my tube preamplifier. My M5S connects to it using LDAC which Im able to use to play my music files.
The Radson ES100 is special because there is no standalone product on the market that will do LDAC, have very low output impedance and a DSP EQ with app that doesn't degrade the sound quality. All this for $100 is unbelievable for the sound quality that is not currently available. I tied some stand alone DSPs with Bluetooth but they degrade the music and don't do LDAC.

With the EQ fictionality I was able to use a flat mic connected to my iPad using an mobile tools EQ app and do room correction. After the ES100 was tuned it improved the sound quality by a big margin. The seamless connection to the ES100 when I turn the player on and off just works without having to fumble around. I wish Shanling would improve their UP2 or UP4 to match the ES100 but for now the ES100 stands alone and is very much a head of its time.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #2,207 of 2,497
I too has the es100 but then i bought the m0 and sold the radsone. They both do ldac but the m0 could still be a dap so i kept the m0 instead.
At home and in the car, i prefer to directly usb connect to a dac and not use anything wireless.. That's why a remote would be so helpful.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,208 of 2,497
A little late to the party. I received my open box M5S a few days ago from Musictech. Their customer service was better then I could imagine. My dealings with Shanling on this forum has also been great with an issue I had on the M2X.
I read all of the negativity as a warning and in the end it didn't sway me away from missing out on a nice player that carries lots of value and performance. I have owned Creative, Fiio, Ibasso and other Shanling DAPs and they have been good to me. Occasional bugs from all players and it seems that if someone gets a lemon they tend to speak the loudest and that is unfortunate, but it doesn't mean all of them will suffer the same fate or failure. I can see how the little bugs can irritate people but I know that a product of this nature will have continuous improvement or fixes and I don't mind it. I also don't mind that one day it will not be supported however from what I have experienced in other products the last firmware revision will be stable.

I have to say that the M0 is probably the best value in a music player that has put Shanling on the map. I have given a few away as gifts and they are still working great. Because of my experience has been great I wanted to stick with the Shanling house sound because to my ears it seems like they focus their emphasis on sound quality for the money rather than features but whatever features they have seem well thought out and intuitive.

In regards to the M5s it was better then I expected for what I paid. I like just about everything about it particularly the sound quality and quick swipe navigation that is responsive without any lag. Im not interested in DAPs that have bloated features, I have a phone for that. I want something that is easy to access when im out for my walks that has the power and sound quality that does not require and external amp for my IEMs.
Reading all your Bla-bla im in tears......but my concern is , you must be tired writing all that licking ..so eat something + protein shake & take a nap , cuz. you glorious Shanling protector must be tiered... In this time , MY5S after glorious, amazing , fantastic flagship warranty repair from Shanling stay in the shelf completely DEAD........well spend 425$

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #2,209 of 2,497
I too has the es100 but then i bought the m0 and sold the radsone. They both do ldac but the m0 could still be a dap so i kept the m0 instead.
At home and in the car, i prefer to directly usb connect to a dac and not use anything wireless.. That's why a remote would be so helpful.

From what I read Shanling is working on their own app which is in beta at the moment in the Chinese market if im not mistaken. I see this app coming out possibly early next year and they probably want to get it right before release. I like the fact that Shanling is trying to be an innovator and move away from using someone else's tech so they can develop their own and not have to share their limitations.
I also find Shanling working hard to establish their brand by being very competitive. I initially wanted the app to do the same thing but having tried the M0 directly to my preamp it was no where near the same SQ that the ES100 was giving me.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #2,210 of 2,497
That's probably needless to say, but the more community stands against Shanling the harder for them it is to get back in good touch. I remember they were quite enthusiastic and responsive a while ago.

PS. @Shanling please give me just a slim wrist mp3 player with solid battery life capable of sending Bluetooth audio and I'll pair it with headphones of my choice. Add parametric EQ and leave no room for the competition, even when overpriced.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #2,211 of 2,497
Reading all your Bla-bla im in tears......but my concern is , you must be tired writing all that licking ..so eat something + protein shake & take a nap , cuz. you glorious Shanling protector must be tiered... In this time , MY5S after glorious, amazing , fantastic flagship warranty repair from Shanling stay in the shelf completely DEAD........well spend 425$

Yes I am starting to be a Fanboi of Shanling products but it is well deserved for my needs and the support from them. I had the opportunity to receive a full refund for a M2x that had an issue but I decided to stick with Shanling for a replacement but then upgraded to the M5s open box because I really like their interface and navigation. Im sure there might be a better player out there for me but after going though many threads here and watching countless youtube video reviews for other products in its price range I feel like I made the best decision for me. I do not have the time or the accessiblity to keep trying players until I find the one I like, like a reviewer. I have been though some players and amps that I didn't like and either returned or sold but when I am satisfied like I have been for the M0 I know I found gold. No player is perfect and Im not crazy about how the M5s looks but I did not pay for that as priority.

Every product is different for different people needs and tradeoffs. There is always going to be a better product for someone else at their price point. Hopefully you will find what works for you, sorry for your disappointment and hope your next player brings you joy.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #2,212 of 2,497
Yes I am starting to be a Fanboi of Shanling products but it is well deserved for my needs and the support from them. I had the opportunity to receive a full refund for a M2x that had an issue but I decided to stick with Shanling for a replacement but then upgraded to the M5s open box because I really like their interface and navigation. Im sure there might be a better player out there for me but after going though many threads here and watching countless youtube video reviews for other products in its price range I feel like I made the best decision for me. I do not have the time or the accessiblity to keep trying players until I find the one I like, like a reviewer. I have been though some players and amps that I didn't like and either returned or sold but when I am satisfied like I have been for the M0 I know I found gold. No player is perfect and Im not crazy about how the M5s looks but I did not pay for that as priority.

Every product is different for different people needs and tradeoffs. There is always going to be a better product for someone else at their price point. Hopefully you will find what works for you, sorry for your disappointment and hope your next player brings you joy.
Dear brain washed android conveyer made human creature ..........my unit was used about 4m .....was send back and returned in same condition / well not exact ..was covered with plenty of grease & oily prints all over / as i send with claims REPAIR . On top of that i did came across many other shanling customers in other forums ,,suffering from exact same issues as me ....Shanling MUST take their S..IT together BEFORE ask for people's MONEY. Simply i DO not want to post here all my email correspondence with ,,,,,i lost 470 $ .....,BUT SHANLING SUCKS.......you know , covering the PROBLEMS doesn't makes them dissappear

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #2,213 of 2,497
Dear brain washed android conveyer made human creature ..........my unit was used about 4m .....was send back and returned in same condition as i send with claims REPAIR . On top of that i did came across many other shanling customers in other forums ,,suffering from exact same issues as me ....Shanling MUST take their **** together BEFORE ask for people's MONEY. Simply i DO not want to post here all my email correspondence with ,,,,,i lost 470 $ .....,BUT SHANLING SUCKS.......

Sorry to hear but that has not been my experience and I can say that because I put Shanling and their partners though the test and they passed with flying colors. They went beyond most other retailers that I have dealt with. For all of my hobbies I have had all kinds of experiences but fortunately never a real bad one like what you have described. Musicteck has been good to me from the products I have bought from them and they have treated me with respect. The open box M5s was so clean I was unsure if it was ever used.
Again sorry for your loss and I understand if you hate them with a passion but at some point you need to understand that many of us have been satisfied with their products for the most part don't feel like there is any impending doom.
Everything that I want the M5s to do including the really nice wifi transfer is working without a hitch. I really like this feature which was something I wasn't expecting that makes adding files a real joy. Im also happy I don't have your issues and my player is working well. Its too bad because if you had my M5s I think you would love it enough to praise it.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,214 of 2,497
Sorry for your trouble. I have no troubles, just M5s happiness and I paid full price... Still happy. I think I would like the SE double DAC of M6s but the M5s has been so good for me that I cannot justify the puchase.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #2,215 of 2,497
Sorry for your trouble. I have no troubles, just M5s happiness and I paid full price... Still happy. I think I would like the SE double DAC of M6s but the M5s has been so good for me that I cannot justify the puchase.

I liked everything about the M5s except the EQ, now sorted in M6 as its android.

Never had issues with M2s M3s M5 M5s and none with M6 but look in any thread and you will find people who recieved turkeys of any DAP, I had it myself with a LPGT and it was a lengthy costly nightmare, put me off Lotoo till I eventually got it sorted and love the device, you'll see it for Sony WM1Z, Cayin N8, ibasso dx*** etc

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #2,217 of 2,497
@Nayparm have you got the nrw Shanling M6? How do you compare the sound quality M5s vs M6 and M5s vs others like LPGT? Thanks

Yep, love it, one of my favorite sounding DAPs. M6 is a definite upgrade over M5s, even more so if your an EQ user, as you have a choice of Hiby, Neutron etc

LPGT vs M5s is as you's expect pretty much night and day.
The M6 sounds more like the N6II with T01 module :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #2,218 of 2,497
So Shanling just cut off this thread after M6 release?

No, still here. Just busy and M5s thread getting less traffic.

I also own the m0 which i still use as a LDAC bluetooth player for my phone.
It's fantastic value that's for sure..
But i wanted something better for the home and the car when connected to an external dac.
So i bought the m5s.
In terms of sound quality, it's really fantastic snd better then the m0 for sure.
The only downside is the inability to use a Bluetooth remote to control it like a fiio remote.

It is troublesome most times when i want to skip tracks. I was excited about the m6 because its it
it's android and maybe that will finally be able to use a remote since the m5s cant...
But I've already been told by shanling it also can't :frowning2:
It might seem like a minor thing for most people but for that its important enough that i wont buy another shanling player.

We tested it this week on M6 and Bluetooth remote controllers should work(at least what we tested, some car stereos and noname BT controller).

It was unfortunate situation, when your Chinese seller didn't provide us with full information (regarding your USB problems). You are still welcomed to ship your unit back to your seller and follow up on this problem.
Regarding volume wheel and its 100% accuracy, still something we are trying to improve on software side.
Not sure why you claim it's completely dead unit.

That's probably needless to say, but the more community stands against Shanling the harder for them it is to get back in good touch. I remember they were quite enthusiastic and responsive a while ago.

PS. @Shanling please give me just a slim wrist mp3 player with solid battery life capable of sending Bluetooth audio and I'll pair it with headphones of my choice. Add parametric EQ and leave no room for the competition, even when overpriced.

I'm still on these forums daily and replying to as many questions as I can.

Thickness of units, that's caused by current construction design. We are not phone manufacturers to chase down millimeter by cramming all components together and gluing it all up. We are happy to have easy robust construction, that can be easily repaired by end users. So not really possible to go smaller than M0.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,219 of 2,497
I finally received my aftermarket balanced ER4 S cable so I can use the balanced circuit. The ER4 S with its 100ohms resistance need to be used in high gain because they are power hungry. The M5s has just enough power and if there was any less it would be an issue requiring an external amp. If I was able to find my misplaced S adaptor for the original cable I could have tested the unbalanced at 100ohms but I could tell that it wouldn't be enough power unbalanced but in P mode without the adaptor does well obviously.

I was worried about the aftermarket cable because it has been reported that some of these cables can change the tuning of the sound for the worse by being too bright but that wasn't the case as it sounds exactly like the Etymotic signature sound which is next to perfect. I tested this with other sources to judge before testing it with the M5s.

Now that Im using the balanced circuit it has become clear to me that the M5s is meant for a balanced connection if you want to get your monies worth as its a completely different sound signature. The difference is quiet obvious now in just about every aspect. The unbalanced connection was kind of weird with a different kind of sound that wasn't offensive but the depth of the percussion was a little distracting although kind of interesting. With the balanced connection it feels more enjoyable in a relaxing way where the instruments seem better mixed together, incredibly clear and vibrant.

Last week I tested M5s against the Mojo in unbalanced and sad to say it came up short particularly in the bass region where it was flabby. It was a little disappointing because the M0 matched it. Im going to have a rematch with the Mojo but from what I'm hearing I can already tell its going to exceed it.

Very happy with the sound of this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back