Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #1,561 of 2,497
Yeah i cant resist it, im suffering lmao .
i stayed at sony store for a while, ZX300 didnt sound so divine like the first time i heard it. Then the red colored M5S arrived along with free leather case, my local store also decrease the price like around $20, timing just couldnt get any better
So is the one of a kind red M5s divine right now?

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,562 of 2,497
I was just thinking more along the lines of a bottle of tippex tbh :p

More replying to @Shanling comment that white finishes were hard to do and keep looking good. It can be done, but is not an inexpensive option if using the epoxy based finsihes.

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #1,563 of 2,497
Is it still a winter white special edtition?:ksc75smile:

The white snow melted and now i got a black & beautiful baby :laughing:

More replying to @Shanling comment that white finishes were hard to do and keep looking good. It can be done, but is not an inexpensive option if using the epoxy based finsihes.

Hopefully it will be done. Limited Epox White Shanling-ling Edition. With a picture of the famous Ling-Ling toon character from "Drawn Together" on the backside. :upside_down:

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,564 of 2,497
Very funny to see the different size of the M0 and M5s with the very own eyes :astonished:

IMG_4573.jpg

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,565 of 2,497
First Sound-Impression using Denon AH-D5200 headphones (M0 unbalanced / M5s balanced)

I have to say it again. The M0 is truly a gift for its price. The only difference i could directly make out are the more pronounced highs on the M5s.

But i cant say that even in balanced mode that the M5s is better sounding than its little M0 fellow. That was my first spontaneous impression. Now i will lean back and give the M5s a lot of listening time.

*** after a couple of songs i feel that the M5s sounds more relaxed and can handle whats happening better but the the small M0 comes very close. For my auditory sensation im speaking of nuances. But thats what we are looking for :spy: ***

*** i also updated the firmware to 2.0 via memory card, my wifi was found quickly but a firmware actualization via wireless network was not possible. "version query failed". ***

*** if you turn on or wake up the device it clicks. reminds me of stereo amp relais. ***

*** hardware buttons are working good. The device feels good in my hands. Due to the bigger size of erverything its easiere to operate. M5s for the couch/bed and M0 for outside pleasure ***

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #1,566 of 2,497
Jan 12, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #1,567 of 2,497
First Sound-Impression using Denon AH-D5200 headphones (M0 unbalanced / M5s balanced)

I have to say it again. The M0 is truly a gift for its price. The only difference i could directly make out are the more pronounced highs on the M5s.

But i cant say that even in balanced mode that the M5s is better sounding than its little M0 fellow. That was my first spontaneous impression. Now i will lean back and give the M5s a lot of listening time.

*** after a couple of songs i feel that the M5s sounds more relaxed and can handle whats happening better but the the small M0 comes very close. For my auditory sensation im speaking of nuances. But thats what we are looking for :spy: ***

*** i also updated the firmware to 2.0 via memory card, my wifi was found quickly but a firmware actualization via wireless network was not possible. "version query failed". ***

*** if you turn on or wake up the device it clicks. reminds me of stereo amp relais. ***

*** hardware buttons are working good. The device feels good in my hands. Due to the bigger size of erverything its easiere to operate. M5s for the couch/bed and M0 for outside pleasure ***

Nice, I like the sound of the M0, I would imagine the stereo imaging/soundstage would be better on M5s.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,569 of 2,497

as you continue to listen and compare both DAPs try to pay attention to these specific nuances:

imaging
soundtage width/depth
speed of attack
separation
layering of the sound
bass (specifically the ability to go down v low)

to me these aspects are where the greatest differences are

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,570 of 2,497
I am looking for more feedback from owners of both the M5s and the Cayin N5II.

Not looking to start a fight, but what is the rationale for break in for a solid state device? I can see it with headphones when parts physically move, but electronics?

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #1,571 of 2,497
I am looking for more feedback from owners of both the M5s and the Cayin N5II.

Not looking to start a fight, but what is the rationale for break in for a solid state device? I can see it with headphones when parts physically move, but electronics?

Capacitors :wink:

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #1,572 of 2,497
Capacitors :wink:
Indeed!

Or we could start from the fact that there is no such thing as a 'solid'... but we'll be here all night and this isn't the place anyway.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #1,573 of 2,497
Indeed!

Or we could start from the fact that there is no such thing as a 'solid'... but we'll be here all night and this isn't the place anyway.

Ah, now we are verging into quantum theory. Because matter as we know it is composed of both particles and waves and because of Heisenberg we know that we can't be sure where the physical object really is...(except for the Heisenberg of Breaking Bad). So Ant man and I can go into the quantum realms and save the avengers and also champion high fidelity.....

Best digression of 2019 so far....

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #1,574 of 2,497
Of course atoms aren’t dense enough to form ‘solid’ matter. What your are experiencing when you ‘touch’ a ‘solid’ object is an electron repulsion field.

Capacitance in certain capacitors does however change over time and can change voltage swings in the output stage of an audio circuit.

Can that cause a change in actual sound? Theoretically I guess it could cause a very small change. Could you hear it? Hmmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back