Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #541 of 2,497
Well, technically, "under $500" can also mean anything up to and excluding $500, so also $1 :) .... and from the wording Shanling used, I'd not expect it to finally end up actually being $499.99 :) . It seemed (to me, at least), a bit more of Shanling teasing :) , not a precise price (just a precise ceiling)
That would be a first! My personal experience is when vendor says "under $xyz" - that means between 1 cent and 1 dollar below xyz...

Between 449 and 479 is my guess...(just like M5).
Unlike headphone prices, I feel that DAP prices are actually trending down! So, I would actually expect (and hope) it would be priced below what M5 used to be...

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #543 of 2,497
Not to put too fine point on it but their chief competition in this price/performance tier is Cayin. At least in terms sound quality, my ears are with those two companies. If Shanling can nail wired and wireless performance, with an improvement in sound quality from the M5, they'll have my interest. If they decide to go with a tuning that I like, I'm on the hook fo sho.
You're getting very close to hiby r6, fiio x7ii territory with the price. I think this needs to be priced at 429 or less...

I think we might get a shock here and see 399-419 USD. 499 is way too close to the hiby r6.....

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #546 of 2,497
Any examples? Or it is only your feeling?))
Preorder price in Russia is about 430-450$
Units are expected in November.
Just a gut feeling in general. Maybe the reason is more entry-level DAPs introduced recently (HiBy R3, Shanling M0, FiiO M3K, etc.), so maybe only lower end being cheaper than used to be.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #547 of 2,497
Just a gut feeling in general. Maybe the reason is more entry-level DAPs introduced recently (HiBy R3, Shanling M0, FiiO M3K, etc.), so maybe only lower end being cheaper than used to be.
M5s claimed as flagman. Not entry-level dap
It is even cheaper than middle-level units of another competitors(r6(pro), dx150, a lot of ak daps etc..).

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #548 of 2,497
You're getting very close to hiby r6, fiio x7ii territory with the price. I think this needs to be priced at 429 or less...

I think we might get a shock here and see 399-419 USD. 499 is way too close to the hiby r6.....

I don't necessarily disagree. Like I said in a previous post, I would love to see it come in well below $500. $430-450 is what makes sense to me as a consumer. The math might not be there from a production stand point to go that low. But now that Cayin had to up the price of the N5ii when they switched over to the S, there's an opportunity for Shanling to fill the pricing gap.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #550 of 2,497
Not to put too fine point on it but their chief competition in this price/performance tier is Cayin. At least in terms sound quality, my ears are with those two companies. If Shanling can nail wired and wireless performance, with an improvement in sound quality from the M5, they'll have my interest. If they decide to go with a tuning that I like, I'm on the hook fo sho.

I agree, Cayin has great stuff at great price points. I however like the esthetics of Shanling gear better. Except for the I5, I thought the i5 was pretty sexy looking and had a nice screen.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #551 of 2,497
Found a shop in Europe. You can pre-order M5s for 429.00 Euro. They are selling Ibasso DX120 also. For 329.00 Euro.

So we have it... .
You’d be cheaper buying dx120 direct at that price!

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #554 of 2,497
That would be a first! My personal experience is when vendor says "under $xyz" - that means between 1 cent and 1 dollar below xyz...

Unlike headphone prices, I feel that DAP prices are actually trending down! So, I would actually expect (and hope) it would be priced below what M5 used to be...

For first comment, normally I would agree... but what's the point of saying "under $500" if then it turns out that it's essentially it? Why not just announce it outright? Only reason would be if they were actually uncertain about final price (and that seems a bit strange given that everything seems to be finalized, and ready to start rolling out next month), and they want to put out a max ceiling. It feels (to me, at least) more like a good marketing ploy, to jack up interest and stimulate conversation (which it definitely has:) ). In that scenario, it makes more sense to put out a ceiling which is quite a bit higher than the actual price, to favorably surprise customers when the price comes out. It can of course turn out that it will be $499 - but I really expect it to be lower, possibly by quite a bit.

Second comment, I definitely agree, I feel the same.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #555 of 2,497
I mean I’m sure it’s going to sound and be awesome, but I’m enjoying this little sucker so much I’m ok to wait a bit :)

4C095A45-C8A7-447A-9166-AC16697DF963.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back