Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #456 of 2,497
Zero DAC chips is the minimum you require to do digital-to-analogue conversion; just ask Chord, PS Audio, etc.
even chord has one dac chip in their dac/amps (their own in-house custom fpga dac chip). Who said that they don't use a dac chip in their products? (Although I might be mistaken)

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #458 of 2,497
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #461 of 2,497
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #462 of 2,497
There website says: "Chord Custom FPGA DAC".

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo/

So its no aftermarket DAC chips. But to say they have no DAC (chip) is a bit missleading ... .
*Their
The whole thing is a DAC. At its heart, there is an FPGA, which is a general purpose chip, not an off-the-shelf DAC chip (and also not a custom DAC chip). That FPGA is driving a Pulse Array, which is what produces the analog signal. That's my rough understanding, I find half of what Rob Watts says more confusing than enlightening, which probably says more about me than him.
Getting a bit off-topic, though, so I'll leave it at that.

Sep 5, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #463 of 2,497
The only dac model does mean nothing.
They should prepare it right,
It don't understand this viewpoint. It's like saying engine size in a sports car doesn't matter, only the transmission and powertrain matters.

Sure, you could make a pretty awesome car with an inline 4 cylinder and the right engineering, and conversely make a pile of crap with 4 liter twin turbo v8, but you have a lot more potential the one of those choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back