Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #1,832 of 2,497
Still having the volume lowering issue. Happened again yesterday after I removed the cable without pausing the track. Plugged back in and the volume was substantially lower. I'm still on the latest firmware. Hope Shanling can fix this soon.

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,833 of 2,497
I've noticed there's a setting for recalling volume ... have you played with that?

Speaking of volume ... in my car (2017 MB GLS) I cannot get any love from the USB port, but on Bluetooth, it works ... sorta. The display thinks the player is mostly stopped even when sound is playing and volume is seemingly capped. I can adjust on the m5s, but cannot get the car to really get that loud which is a bummer since it's crystal clear otherwise.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #1,834 of 2,497
I've noticed there's a setting for recalling volume ... have you played with that?

Speaking of volume ... in my car (2017 MB GLS) I cannot get any love from the USB port, but on Bluetooth, it works ... sorta. The display thinks the player is mostly stopped even when sound is playing and volume is seemingly capped. I can adjust on the m5s, but cannot get the car to really get that loud which is a bummer since it's crystal clear otherwise.

Thanks. Yeah it seems this volume memory feature may override a bug that would lower the volume in some instance. Hope this solves the issue.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #1,835 of 2,497
finally completed my fist full sync ... almost 6hrs! Damn. pretty awesome to have that much in my pocket but wow that took forever. Glad I had plenty of other things to do in the meantime. I was using a USB-C to C cable transferring from a USB3 HD connected to my PC.

SyncToy worked great to configure what I wanted to use here ... have over 1TB or so of music to choose from and this was an easy (relatively) way to sort through the artists and choose all, some or none of the albums I'm looking to have handy.

Noticed that the library update also takes forever, though I hope that's a less than regular event as well. There are just under 10K tracks on my 400GB card .... think it's a touch over 300GB.

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #1,836 of 2,497
Noticed that the library update also takes forever, though I hope that's a less than regular event as well. There are just under 10K tracks on my 400GB card .... think it's a touch over 300GB.
You can turn off automatic library update. You then go into settings and start it manually when you want it.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #1,837 of 2,497
I just figured out AirPlay ... it's a receiver. Successfully tested playing Qobuz and Roon from my iPhone XS to my M5s and am listening with my IEMs. Actually sounds pretty great!

IMG_3384.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,839 of 2,497
well I have the same stuff on my SD card and I would say that it's sharper and more clear without a doubt when you go direct. Airplay is certainly a very nice to have additional convenience ... not sure it will play a big part in my usage. Certainly not why I purchased this device.

Feb 10, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,842 of 2,497
I'd love a fix / hack / solution for indexing larger SD Cards ... I have not seen a successful library update yet and I've tried a few times. Kinda making me dislike the player even though what I am hearing is quite good. l just want it all ... which frankly seems like the basic ask. I've got a 400GB card loaded via Windows 10 SD Card reader) (also tried via USB inside the M5s) and cannot get the device to properly complete the task. I know there are ~9k tracks and yet I see substantial pausing around 3 and 4k in on the process as well as later stalls and eventually it stops ahead of completing where I believe it should. This process also takes about 10 minutes which seems pretty unacceptable and impractical. I don't forsee adding too much too often, but I did add one album locally after a sync yesterday and had to endure the full re-mapping process for it to show up. Folder viewing isn't as nice a path as album or artist selection ...

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,843 of 2,497
Still having the volume lowering issue. Happened again yesterday after I removed the cable without pausing the track. Plugged back in and the volume was substantially lower. I'm still on the latest firmware. Hope Shanling can fix this soon.

Had the volume issue today for the first time and was baffled by what happened. Took the next track and back to get things square.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #1,844 of 2,497
I'd love a fix / hack / solution for indexing larger SD Cards ... I have not seen a successful library update yet and I've tried a few times. Kinda making me dislike the player even though what I am hearing is quite good. l just want it all ... which frankly seems like the basic ask. I've got a 400GB card loaded via Windows 10 SD Card reader) (also tried via USB inside the M5s) and cannot get the device to properly complete the task. I know there are ~9k tracks and yet I see substantial pausing around 3 and 4k in on the process as well as later stalls and eventually it stops ahead of completing where I believe it should. This process also takes about 10 minutes which seems pretty unacceptable and impractical. I don't foresee adding too much too often, but I did add one album locally after a sync yesterday and had to endure the full re-mapping process for it to show up. Folder viewing isn't as nice a path as album or artist selection ...

Just following up on my own note as I think I've fixed the SD thing. There are no directions or warnings anywhere, but now in my experience exFAT vs FAT32 formatting makes a huge difference. After wiping and formatting the card again today to FAT32, I saw my copy task take about half the time (roughly 3 hours for over 300GB) that it took previously and while there was one stall on the library update it passed pretty quickly and then the device seemed to complete the mission. whew!

By default Windows 10 will format a 400GB card to exFAT. Curious whether I'll see any files when hooked to USB in the car now as well though the car I mostly drive will be connected over Bluetooth as it long pre-dates CarPlay / Android Auto. I have the Earstudio ES100 coming for LDAC connectivity.

Feb 11, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #1,845 of 2,497
Just following up on my own note as I think I've fixed the SD thing. There are no directions or warnings anywhere, but now in my experience exFAT vs FAT32 formatting makes a huge difference. After wiping and formatting the card again today to FAT32, I saw my copy task take about half the time (roughly 3 hours for over 300GB) that it took previously and while there was one stall on the library update it passed pretty quickly and then the device seemed to complete the mission. whew!

By default Windows 10 will format a 400GB card to exFAT. Curious whether I'll see any files when hooked to USB in the car now as well though the car I mostly drive will be connected over Bluetooth as it long pre-dates CarPlay / Android Auto. I have the Earstudio ES100 coming for LDAC connectivity.

What you missed is that Windows 10 will not allow you to format an MSD card larger than 32G (?) to FAT32. You have to download an app to do it. Afterwards Win10 will read the new drive correctly. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back