Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #1,081 of 1,112
I will try with external amp... but not really handy having two devices... especially considering M5 amp section is actually very powerful already... (I'm very rarely passing 60 (of 120 max))

Yeah it doesn't sound like it's a solution to your problem, but if you have an amp lying around that you know goes well with your headphones it might give a clearer idea if you should avoid the DAC in future or not.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #1,082 of 1,112
The longer I used M5, I feel it not energetic enough at times... Yes it sounded very good and "high-end" but doesn't snap with energetic music (rock, jazz fusion, for example) and sounding sleepy...
And this feel the same with any headphones with any sensitivity I tested with... (i.e. LZ A2, Yamaha EPH-100, HPH-200, Trinity Phantom Master 4, Fostex TH-X00, EMU-Purpleheart, etc...) So I don't think that this is power insufficiency.

When I originally learn that M5 is having very good clock, I thought this going to be player with a good PRaT pace pitch rhythm timing tunes.

I wonder whether this is due to the nature of AK DAC? or the way Shanling polish the sound on firmware? or the analog section of the M5?

I don't think Shanling ever release firmware that change the way it sound...
@Shanling : do you have any plan to create firmware that affect the way M5 sound?
Maybe I'm nobody to your company... but would you take a look into what's going on with this player?
I really don't hope that the solution is by suggestion to get other player... because if it so... based on M5, it won't be Shanling... since I'm affraid if the sound I describe is Shanling house sound..

That's interesting. You shouldn't fear a "house sound" for Shanling, I think that M2s has a fair amount of sparkle and such in its sound!

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,083 of 1,112
What I'm trying to get at is that it's just your opinion, bro. I listen mostly to electronic and metal and enjoy the M5 immensely.

ah so... I misunderstood... sorry, I don't want to sound pushing my opinion... maybe the way I heard or that's my preference...

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,084 of 1,112
ah so... I misunderstood... sorry, I don't want to sound pushing my opinion... maybe the way I heard or that's my preference...
The best advice I can give is try playing with the eq. Shanling incorporates an algorithm to essentially always give you a specific type of sound, and will lower the volume if you go outside of that sound characteristic.
If you don't feel it has enough sparkle, Try lowering the sub-bass a little and raise the treble slider around the 4k- 8k range. That should brighten up the sound and still give you the bass you perhaps still want and enjoy. As this is what I do, depending on the earphones I am using with it.
A player you may like is the iBasso DX80. It has a very nice sound signature, and since it has been out for some time now, the firmware is pretty mature, so I rarely if ever have any random freezes or other bugs. Plus, by now pretty relatively in-expensive.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,085 of 1,112
Hi all. As an owner of M5 I have only one issue with this cool thing. It successfully works only with firmwares up to 1.2. Any later ones behave strangely. Say, after upgrading to 2.1 I cannot pick any folder or track as before. After pointing/clicking on a folder or file it ends with "reloading" of the screen to a different location, displaying different files. These weird "jumps" cannot be rid off with changing of the player's settings or any other means I could think of. Basically, the player doesn't work as it should. But when I downgrade the firmware to 1.0/ 1.1 or 1.2, M5 operates normally. Did anyone experience a problem like that? Is there a cure other than a hammer? )) Advise, please. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,086 of 1,112
Hi all. As an owner of M5 I have only one issue with this cool thing. It successfully works only with firmwares up to 1.2. Any later ones behave strangely. Say, after upgrading to 2.1 I cannot pick any folder or track as before. After pointing/clicking on a folder or file it ends with "reloading" of the screen to a different location, displaying different files. These weird "jumps" cannot be rid off with changing of the player's settings or any other means I could think of. Basically, the player doesn't work as it should. But when I downgrade the firmware to 1.0/ 1.1 or 1.2, M5 operates normally. Did anyone experience a problem like that? Is there a cure other than a hammer? )) Advise, please. Thanks.

Mine's fine on the latest firmware

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,088 of 1,112
Just pull the trigger on the M5 from linkdelight ( 315 USD. player with case ), price match with joybuy.com I went to Shanling website but can't seem to download the firmware. Any member has a link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fNdT9kI077b0NheUl5bmhfNHM/view?usp=drivesdk
S71024-205608.jpg

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,089 of 1,112
Oct 24, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,091 of 1,112
I tried that, it did not work for me. I don't know if its because I am using Safari.

Could be. I just downloaded 2.1 using Chrome and it came right through. Might be your pop-up blocker or ad blocker, if you're using one. It does use a pop-up to start the download.

Oct 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,094 of 1,112
hello,
i am trying to search a bit but could not find real confirmation about digital connection of m5.

i want to go tomorrow to a local shop and try shanling m5 (locally less then 300$. there is also other DAPs i will try ;p ) and i want to try to digitally pair it with sony pha3.

can i connect pha3 using microUSB cable? microUSB(Shanling m5)<->microUSB(Sony pha3)?
does Shanling m5 support toslink/spdif that i could use to connect to my pha3?

thank you

Oct 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,095 of 1,112
hello,
i am trying to search a bit but could not find real confirmation about digital connection of m5.

i want to go tomorrow to a local shop and try shanling m5 (locally less then 300$. there is also other DAPs i will try ;p ) and i want to try to digitally pair it with sony pha3.

can i connect pha3 using microUSB cable? microUSB(Shanling m5)<->microUSB(Sony pha3)?
does Shanling m5 support toslink/spdif that i could use to connect to my pha3?

thank you
8550193.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back