Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 1, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #646 of 2,442
Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #647 of 2,442
New Written Review Here

Video Here

Is there the possibility to connent the M3X to an external dac? I used a Fiio M6 connected with usb cable to an Arcam irDac to strem music from Tidal and it worked. I'm trying to do the same with the M3X. I see that the input of the irDac light on but no sound comes out. I tryed song with different sample rate but there isn't any difference, no sound comes out.

May 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #648 of 2,442
I currently have an M2x, what are the biggest differences I will notice with the sound quality?

May 1, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #649 of 2,442
I currently have an M2x, what are the biggest differences I will notice with the sound quality?
I never heard the M2X but my last player was the M5S which was a significant jump up from there. The M3X is a jump up again from the M5S. It's cleaner, wider much better bass response. On the M5 I needed EQ to pull the sound I wanted out of every IEM in my rotation. With the M3X I don't use EQ at all. It's got beautiful detail retrieval a good sound stage and nice extension on either end of the spectrum. Watch the video review I posted earlier. I agree with pretty much everything he says. Shanling out did themselves with this DAP. It's not an M8 or M621 BUT it's not that far behind either.

May 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #650 of 2,442
I received my M3X yesterday and so far I really like it. I have sent @Davy Wentzler (UAPP developer) the required debug information for full support including 16x MQA decoding and he has already built a test version that's working perfectly at 16x (705.6 and 768kHz). I'm not sure how long it will take to update the Play Store version but it should be on it's way. Amazing how quickly he jumped on it, really good stuff!
Just curious, why do you want to use uapp on this dap? One of the reasons I consider buying this is to get rid of the hedious ui of uapp. Otherwise I would be using L&P w2 with my s21 ultra to stream tidal.

May 1, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #651 of 2,442
Just curious, why do you want to use uapp on this dap? One of the reasons I consider buying this is to get rid of the hedious ui of uapp. Otherwise I would be using L&P w2 with my s21 ultra to stream tidal.

I have gotten used to UAPP on my other and previous DAPs where it was needed for high resolution and MQA with the internal DAC. I also use some of the plugins (Toneboosters / Morphit) occasionally. It works for me... :sunglasses:

May 1, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #652 of 2,442
I have gotten used to UAPP on my other and previous DAPs where it was needed for high resolution and MQA with the internal DAC. I also use some of the plugins (Toneboosters / Morphit) occasionally. It works for me... :sunglasses:
Be careful with MQA, as it seems to alter strongly the Master version.
More infos here if you're interested :wink:

(I'm not saying MQA is not good and whatever, just saying between their claim and the reality, it seems that there's a significant gap, as you can see in this video test)

@Linus Jian UAPP is also one third-party app which is very fluid, at least on the M3X, and currently the native Shanling app doesn't play gapless (but that's on their roadmap already so I have a good feeling about this).

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #653 of 2,442
Be careful with MQA, as it seems to alter strongly the Master version.
More infos here if you're interested :wink:

(I'm not saying MQA is not good and whatever, just saying between their claim and the reality, it seems that there's a significant gap, as you can see in this video test)

@Linus Jian UAPP is also one third-party app which is very fluid, at least on the M3X, and currently the native Shanling app doesn't play gapless (but that's on their roadmap already so I have a good feeling about this).

I think MQA is a scam but a lot of audiophiles really are into it.

May 2, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #654 of 2,442
I received my M3X yesterday and so far I really like it. I have sent @Davy Wentzler (UAPP developer) the required debug information for full support including 16x MQA decoding and he has already built a test version that's working perfectly at 16x (705.6 and 768kHz). I'm not sure how long it will take to update the Play Store version but it should be on it's way. Amazing how quickly he jumped on it, really good stuff!
can you share the apk?

May 2, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #655 of 2,442
can you share the apk?
The playstore version with M3X compatibility is live now and a limited time trial is available on their site http://www.audio-evolution.com/downloads/USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_5998.apk
I can confirm it's fast, fluid, intuitive and works / sounds great. In the last few days I've tried pretty much every decent app and UAPP is the one I went with.

There was some discussion about the GoneMad app a few posts back where I reported that it somehow sounded veiled. Have now confirmed with the developer that it does not fully utilize the DAC capabilities

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #656 of 2,442
The playstore version with M3X compatibility is live now and a limited time trial is available on their site http://www.audio-evolution.com/downloads/USBAudioPlayerPROTrial_5998.apk
I can confirm it's fast, fluid, intuitive and works / sounds great. In the last few days I've tried pretty much every decent app and UAPP is the one I went with.

There was some discussion about the GoneMad app a few posts back where I reported that it somehow sounded veiled. Have no confirmed with the developer that it does not fully utilize the DAC capabilities
I really like uapp on the dx160

May 2, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #657 of 2,442
May 2, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #659 of 2,442
I have the latest version and it still won't decode 16x unlike the Shanling music player

The new version is 5.9.9.8, perhaps it hasn't rolled out in your Play Store yet. I'm not sure how that works in different countries. I haven't been able to check for myself yet. I just saw the earlier post that said it was out.

May 4, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #660 of 2,442
The new version is 5.9.9.8, perhaps it hasn't rolled out in your Play Store yet. I'm not sure how that works in different countries. I haven't been able to check for myself yet. I just saw the earlier post that said it was out.

Update:

Actually the new version does not appear to be released yet (at least when I check). All I see is version 5.9.9.6 (4/15/21). @holsen - Are you seeing the new version on the Play Store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back