Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #227 of 2,219
Sep 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #228 of 2,219
It might be a good idea to get a MOT tag if you're posting links to the company you represent......

Used to have Sponsor under my name... odd how it's disappeared :frowning2:

Also RE pricing, if you buy abroad, add duty and tax, you'll find they prices will be similar, and you won't get warranty support in the UK. It's like that with a lot of things now unfortunately.

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #230 of 2,219
Used to have Sponsor under my name... odd how it's disappeared :frowning2:

Also RE pricing, if you buy abroad, add duty and tax, you'll find they prices will be similar, and you won't get warranty support in the UK. It's like that with a lot of things now unfortunately.

I also remember that you have / used to have Sponsor tags recently, maybe the site is under an update at the moment? :darthsmile:

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #231 of 2,219
Sure but maybe fourrobert didn't want to wait 6 months or, more likely, he bought his N3s before the 31st August.
To be honest, I waited for the price to come down on the 200 gig cards before buying one. I plan to do the same before buying a 400 gig card. I did have both of my N3s before August 31st. I have three 200 gig cards, so it is cheaper at the moment to buy another DAP than the 400 gig card depending on the DAP of course. When this M3s comes out, I'll put that third 200 gig card to use while waiting for the price to come down on the 400 gig ones. $249 is a lot for that little thing. Other sellers on Amazon have it for $300+. Crazy, considering how much I can buy a 1TB hard for...:confused:

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #232 of 2,219
To be honest, I waited for the price to come down on the 200 gig cards before buying one. I plan to do the same before buying a 400 gig card. I did have both of my N3s before August 31st. I have three 200 gig cards, so it is cheaper at the moment to buy another DAP than the 400 gig card depending on the DAP of course. When this M3s comes out, I'll put that third 200 gig card to use while waiting for the price to come down on the 400 gig ones. $249 is a lot for that little thing. Other sellers on Amazon have it for $300+. Crazy, considering how much I can buy a 1TB hard for...:confused:
The 200 GB Sandisk Ultra has only just come down to the equivalent of $78 here in the last week I think. At least I hadn't noticed them this cheap online from local suppliers before now. A few weeks ago, $96 was the best I could find. I might get one now they are finally at a reasonable price. :)

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #233 of 2,219
The 200 GB Sandisk Ultra has only just come down to the equivalent of $78 here in the last week I think. At least I hadn't noticed them this cheap online from local suppliers before now. A few weeks ago, $96 was the best I could find. I might get one now they are finally at a reasonable price. :)
200 gig has the best price to storage ratio IMO. I can't justify the additional $51 for the 256 gig card over the the 200 gig cards. The math doesn't work for me...lol

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #235 of 2,219
I just got a 256 GB mSD for the equivalent of 170$ and I consider mtselfd lucky :darthsmile:

I just go for 128GB and put up with swapping / having different cards in different DAPs. In the UK, I think 128GB still gives more GB per £ than the 200GB, and both far more than the 256GB. It's a pain swapping cards but I remember every album being on a separate cassette you had to turn over half way :-D

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #236 of 2,219
I just go for 128GB and put up with swapping / having different cards in different DAPs. In the UK, I think 128GB still gives more GB per £ than the 200GB, and both far more than the 256GB. It's a pain swapping cards but I remember every album being on a separate cassette you had to turn over half way :-D
Hopefully, this and other DAP's will be confirmed as robust with the 400gb card by the time it drops to (say) £120. Might be able to afford both for Christmas:smile_phones:

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #237 of 2,219
Hopefully, this and other DAP's will be confirmed as robust with the 400gb card by the time it drops to (say) £120. Might be able to afford both for Christmas:smile_phones:

I could be wrong but I think the 256 has been out over a year and is still more than that, so not sure which Christmas :-D

To put back on topic of the thread for risk of people getting fed up.. I really want that M3S. I have no way of justifying it to myself as I have bought way too many daps, but if it's a further improvement on the M2S, it's going to be nice! Looking forward to reading impressions, but worried about the ensuing temptation!

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #238 of 2,219

Considering how long it took DAP makers to officially acknowledge anything other than FAT32 formatted 16GB cards it could be a decade!. Hopefully now that we are past that barrier maybe it won't take so long lol

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #239 of 2,219
I keep wondering how much that scroll wheel would get stuck going in and out of my pants pocket. :grin:

From M2s experience, you don't have to worry about it, especially when dressed in a case.

Totally agree with Alex. It's not an issue.

£269 and no internal storage - think I'll wait for the Sony A40 series.

Having extensively auditioning a recent generation Sony DAP, I'd say it's your loss going work Sony over Shanling. Maybe Sony's lower tier DAPs are better?

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #240 of 2,219
£269 and no internal storage - think I'll wait for the Sony A40 series.

Having extensively auditioning a recent generation Sony DAP, I'd say it's your loss going work Sony over Shanling. Maybe Sony's lower tier DAPs are better?

For DAP use I am very happy with my Cowon Plenue D.

I am now on the lookout for a USB transport. For about the same price as this Shanling, the Sony A47 will come with 64GB of storage which means I only need a 200GB microSD card to meet my needs. Of course I also need to factor in the criminally expensive Sony proprietary USB cable.

If this Shanling M3s had 64GB of internal storage, I would most likely order one. As it is, the need to buy a 256GB card pushes the price to the point where there are better solutions available. Thanks to Amazon, things are looking interesting in the tablet space once again. We shall see. No rush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back