Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,456 of 2,219
Got my Shanling M3S yesterday. I really like the form factor and convenience of the DAP. Setup was a breeze and UI is very intuitive. Sound wise, it is less detailed and has a more narrow soundstage than my Oppo HA-2SE, but overall still very pleasing. I'm having a hard time getting over the scroll wheel though. The tactile feedback on it feels very...cheap. When scrolling slowly, the selection is changed out of sync with the feedback. It will sometimes move twice for a single click as well. Is this issue specific to my unit, or does this just take some getting used to?
Although counterintuitive, the wheel is more accurate if you use your forefinger and thumb opposed to just your thumb. Button pressing in and out of menus is another story, sensitive.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,458 of 2,219
But there is absolutely no consistency there. Sometimes it's two steps per click, and sometimes it's one. I find it really annoying, personally. On an upscale player like this, it is really sad that they couldn't get this right.
I hear you on this one. The wheel is not accurate enough. It makes an otherwise great player into a fussy little gadget.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,459 of 2,219
Thanks for the feedback everyone (no pun intended :smile_phones:), I'm going out of town for a few days, going to do a travel test run, will have to decide if this is a deal breaker for me, my gut tells me it will be. May seem silly but it feels like a step down from the HA-2SE audibly, which is fine for the added convience, but the step down build-quality/ergonomics may be too much :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,460 of 2,219
Thanks for the feedback everyone (no pun intended :smile_phones:), I'm going out of town for a few days, going to do a travel test run, will have to decide if this is a deal breaker for me, my gut tells me it will be. May seem silly but it feels like a step down from the HA-2SE audibly, which is fine for the added convience, but the step down build-quality/ergonomics may be too much :frowning2:
What source/player do you use with your HA-2SE?

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,461 of 2,219
The wheel is not quite a deal breaker for me. I find it annoying "at times", especially when adding songs to a playlist or something that takes multiple steps and multiple scrolls. The only other thing that I have a problem with is that the screen does not get bright enough for outdoor use in the sunlight. They need to make that brighter, you literaly cannot navigate the menus because it is too dim in the sun.

Jan 30, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,462 of 2,219
What source/player do you use with your HA-2SE?

Either my Galaxy S6 with Foobar 2000 or my laptop, also Foobar 2000. Ive been having connectivity issues between the HA-2SE and my phone though, some problem with my phone's micro USB port, and the S6 does not have expandable storage. Hence the M3S, I was hoping it could replace my portable setup.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,463 of 2,219

Have you tried the balanced out? This greatly expands the soundstage imo.

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,464 of 2,219
Have you tried the balanced out? This greatly expands the soundstage imo.

I haven't, I actually don't own any balanced cables, because I haven't owned a balanced amp until now, ha! My only pair of IEM's are my Etymotic ER4XR's. I was planning on reterminating them to 2.5 TRRS for the balanced out before I started obsessing over the scroll wheel. Thanks for the tip, though! I will keep that in mind.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #1,466 of 2,219
This DAP pairs extremely well with the HD650 on balanced.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,467 of 2,219
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,469 of 2,219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back