Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,923 of 2,219
Shanling suggested not doing this with the M2. Didn't know if it was the same with the M3s.

If you're using it as a USB DAC, you don't have much choice... :wink:

Jul 21, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #1,925 of 2,219
I upgraded my M3s this morning to firmware version 1.6. I set the scroll wheel sensitivity to 1 and it does seem to have helped with the problem of having one click of the wheel result in a scroll of more than one line/item.

Jul 22, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,927 of 2,219
My unit won't turn on. I go to power it up and it just flickers on for a second and shuts off. reset switch does nothing.
Nevermind it just came on. Battery must have been low. Which is wierd because it was plugged in all night being used as a DAC, and nothing was playing through it. Ran it for about 3 minutes and then no sound. It shouldn't have lost its all of it's power.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #1,928 of 2,219
Nevermind it just came on. Battery must have been low. Which is wierd because it was plugged in all night being used as a DAC, and nothing was playing through it. Ran it for about 3 minutes and then no sound. It shouldn't have lost its all of it's power.
Are you on the latest firmware? There was a turn off bug on the previous firmware (I believe).

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,932 of 2,219
Another happy user of Deoxit D5 on the Shanling scroll wheel here, my wheel works fine now after a quick spray.

Thanks @emthered for the suggestion. Perhaps Shanling should provide a can with every DAP sold. :)

You're welcome! I don't know what they put in that stuff, but it works amazingly well on potentiometers (pots). Also fixes dirty crackly volume knobs. In the case of the M3s i think the wheels are lubricated at the factory and this lube collects particulate over a short amount of time causing intermittent contact points and subsequently the jumpy screen selections. Although the Deoxit is a temporary solution my experience has shown the spray to last ~2 years before needing another dose (I've used the stuff on other audio equipment as well as my M3s).

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #1,933 of 2,219
I have the M3s connected via USB OTG cable to the iFi micro iDSD BL. The M3s has been set to USB DAC out in the settings menu. However the volume is very low coming out of the iFi and when I turn the M3s volume knob, the volume goes up.

Does that mean I am still using the M3s DAC as opposed to the iFi DAC? Shouldn't the M3s be transmitting a pure digital signal that is not affected by the volume knob?

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,934 of 2,219
I have the M3s connected via USB OTG cable to the iFi micro iDSD BL. The M3s has been set to USB DAC out in the settings menu. However the volume is very low coming out of the iFi and when I turn the M3s volume knob, the volume goes up.

Does that mean I am still using the M3s DAC as opposed to the iFi DAC? Shouldn't the M3s be transmitting a pure digital signal that is not affected by the volume knob?
I’ve wondered this same thing. Low and High Gain also is active. If you play DSD tracks in DoP mode, the volume wheel does not work, but all FLAC files you can toggle the volume. I, also thought that a transport just sends the digital information. @Shanling can you explain?

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,935 of 2,219
Shanling suggested not doing this with the M2. Didn't know if it was the same with the M3s.

Well, it's more like standard manual talk, of course in theory it's best not to use any device while charging, but honestly, who isn't breaking that line of manual with their phones every day?

It's one of things associated with HiBy software. On some DACs(like mentioned iFi) the digital volume affects is still in effect, on others it has no impact(like any Chord DAC).
It doesn't mean that DAC in M3s is being used, out of M3s still comes just digital data and whole Digital to Analog conversion goes on in your DAC. Take it as your Windows volume slider affecting volume of your DAC.

I can tell you, in our MTouch system on M0, volume setting has zero impact on DAC volume.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back