Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 4, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #91 of 2,219
Sep 4, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #93 of 2,219
Probably a comparison with original M3 is not fair, as this one was their first DAP, and now they seem to have a roadmap for development of portable players, as well as a clear vision of what they want to offer to each market segment.

I think there are also 2 factors, among many others, that greatly influence design decisions. The first is, in the beginning, a general principle: in portable gear, everything comes at a cost. This, applied to output power, puts also into the equation battery capacity and weight. Compared to Fiio X5 3rd gen (186g) and the original M3 (220g), 135g is really lightweight. Take also into account that balanced output gives a respectable 230mW, but taking down battery life to max. 8 hours.

The second factor I think is more important from a market perspective. If you, as manufacturer, address your product towards an audiophile user with portable use requirements in day-to-day, most of them will use IEM, that seldom require a lot of power. In this context, 130mW is probably more than enough, also for portable headphones. If battery life is near the promised (in single-ended) 13 hours, I think the whole picture will be really good.

EDIT: looking at the X7 Mark II specs, the retail module gives 150mW in single-ended (400mW in balanced)

I think I disagree, but at the same time I may be fooled by curious Shanling specs :wink:

Let me explain:
my m3 is rated at 300mW@32 Ohms and it has all necessary power to drive any headphones I have.
My m5 is also rated at 300mW@32 Ohms... But it is considerably weaker than my m3.
So there is a problem : or m3 is above 300mW, or m5 is below 300mW but for sure they are not both 300mW.

So if my m5, rated at 300mW is already on the weak side... Let me say that m3s will only be able to drive iems and nothing else with only 130mW.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #95 of 2,219
I think I disagree, but at the same time I may be fooled by curious Shanling specs :wink:

Let me explain:
my m3 is rated at 300mW@32 Ohms and it has all necessary power to drive any headphones I have.
My m5 is also rated at 300mW@32 Ohms... But it is considerably weaker than my m3.
So there is a problem : or m3 is above 300mW, or m5 is below 300mW but for sure they are not both 300mW.

So if my m5, rated at 300mW is already on the weak side... Let me say that m3s will only be able to drive iems and nothing else with only 130mW.

Can't comment on the 3S, but I will say my M3 drives power hungry cans much better than another device I owned with similar power output specs.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #98 of 2,219
So it seems m3 is above 300mW, m5 is 300mW, and m3s only 130mW.

M3s still look as an awesome device, but for big headphones it is a no go.

What headphones would you be using?
Plenty of full-size cans would be easily driven by the M3S. Keep in mind that 300mw will only produce about 3db difference in maximum volume compared to 130mw. Also different devices specifying the same power at 32 ohms may have quite different output power into 300 ohms.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #101 of 2,219
So tempted to give the m2s a spin given the largely positive comments, but will hold out for the m3s.

Sep 4, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #102 of 2,219
Well, this unit will probably eventually knock my trusty M2 out of the collection. I have kept the M2 unit mainly because of the dedicated line out. I think it sounds great, but it much more "glitchy" than the M1 or M2S. The latter units have far less audio drop outs or needs to reboot the machine due to system freezes.

With regard to power, I have not run into power issues even with the M1. I am surprised how much the M1 can hold its own with the M2S.

I would agree that the primary competitors would be FIIO; Cayin, and thebit. My FIIO X3II was a well loved unit but it just did not sound quite a good as any of the Shanlings that I own. I liked the Cayin i5 sound but agree that the user interface was a bit of a challenge. The Cayin N3 is a very interesting unit but again the user interface did not appeal to me as much.

My pocket book is very annoyed with Shanling as I may need to dip in again.

Sep 5, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #103 of 2,219
Great specs. I hope there will be no issue of overheating.

Hmmm? Why do ask this question?

Hi. Does M3S have digital coaxial output via USB port? Like what Cayin N3 has.

I know the Cayin USB Coax cable doesn't work with M2s. Maybe Shanling will implement a solution at some point, but I bet they'll stick with USB for now...

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #104 of 2,219
S70905-125155.jpg https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/shanl...ic-player-dsd265-blanced-dual-ak4490-dac.html

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #105 of 2,219
What headphones would you be using?
Plenty of full-size cans would be easily driven by the M3S. Keep in mind that 300mw will only produce about 3db difference in maximum volume compared to 130mw. Also different devices specifying the same power at 32 ohms may have quite different output power into 300 ohms.

A simple Focal spirit pro which is 32 Ohms and quiet easy to drive :wink:
My m3 drive it with ease on low-gain setting
My m5 drive it but not with ease as I have to set it on high-gain and even then need to push volume up to 70-80.
M3 would certainly have difficulties with just 130mW.
Another spec that scares me a little is distortion that is way higher than both m3 and m5.

I will wait for m5s I guess, as I'm really interested in dual dacs+ Bluetooth. I would be able to stream conveniently music from my smartphone without loosing Shanling sound quality. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back