Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 2, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #61 of 2,219
The components and specs are really good. Looking forward to the actual sound quality and build.

Totally agree about specs. Shanling build quality has been very good for me. I reco4d no less with M3s.

I would be so happy to see an M5s with online streaming capability for apps like Tidal, Spotify etc.

No, no, no... Please don't bring across into the equation. Again, DAPs aren't smartphones. DAPs don't use CPUs usually use in smartphones. Apps just don't work as expected. If you want to stream, either use a solution like Hibylink or get a smartphone DAC/Amp.

I think I'd rather wait until the M5S. If there is one.

There will certainly be M5s, bro. And I can only imagine it's going to be a TRUE BEAST!!!

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #63 of 2,219
No more Cirrus DAC in the M3- Guess Opus1 is the only DAP with Cirrus (also CS4398) now?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #65 of 2,219
I was completely underwhelmed with X3 X5 v3 when I had it in for audition. It sounded very bland. Dynamics and spatial characteristics were just not up to snuff IMHO. That said, it was a nicely built DAP (besides the volume wheel - yuck) with good feature set. If creature comforts are your gig and trump sound, X3 v3 is a good purchase. If you value sound more and are willing to give up on a touchscreen and apps, then I'd suggest the M3s. But honestly, of your wanting an Android DAP in this general price range I'd wait for N5 v2. My original N5 easily sounds better to my ears than the X5 v3. I can't imagine it will be any different with the N5 v2. Just my rambling two cents...
While I wouldn't say that the X5 iii was bland, it didn't have a very engaging tonality. It has a smooth, easy-going sound that's generally good for most genres. However, I didn't feel that it was very prominent in any single one department. For the price and feature set, though, it's a pretty decent buy.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #66 of 2,219
Gotta collect 'em all!!!
giphy.gif
It'll never end. My poor wallet.....

The M3S is definitely something that's going into my DAP collection sometime in the near future. I can just see it. I just wish I wasn't such a good psychic. :joy:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #69 of 2,219
M3s has a very convenient form factor and weight (at least for me). As I don't use streaming in my day-to-day commuting (and only occasionally when at home), it very well covers my needs. As for being very long, it's only 1cm longer than my DX50. I think it seems longer because is narrower than other comparable devices.

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #71 of 2,219
While I wouldn't say that the X5 iii was bland, it didn't have a very engaging tonality. It has a smooth, easy-going sound that's generally good for most genres. However, I didn't feel that it was very prominent in any single one department. For the price and feature set, though, it's a pretty decent buy.

We've all got different takes on gear. What I will say is that the original X7 and then X5iii are what convinced me to take FiiO off my radar. X7 was buggy, had poor GUI add button placement, and I didn't like the amp module thing despite initially thinking it was cool. X5iii looked cool but didn't find the sound engaging at all, still didn't like the GUI much, and didn't like the volume wheel implementation.

On the other hand, I've found sound from all the Shanling DAPs engaging despite distinct sound signatures, GUI on all but original M3 is the best Hiby implementation I've seen yet, and ergonomics are great.

I also really enjoy the Cayin DAPs I've used. They also have engaging sound, but the GUI falters a bit. Not as organized as Shanling and a bit cluttered.

As with you I've used many other DAPs, but I see FiiO and Cayin as the main competitors so I'll stop there with the comparisons.

In the end it comes down to personal preference, and Shanling's formula of engaging sound + streamlined GUI and ergonomics keeps pulling me back to their DAPs.

M5S seems to be a Android-based Dap.

I knew about it for a while. I was just playing it cool because I didn't wanna leak any info about it. It's fine.

Shhh :zipper_mouth: :laughing:

But seriously, following up a bit on what I said up above...

After the original X7 was released, I followed up quickly with Cayin and Shanling to urge them to develop Android based DAPs. Of course, I want telling them anything they hadn't already thought of, lol. And obviously, Cayin and Shanling took different approaches. If you've followed the transcription of FiiO, then Cayin, and finally Shanling, you'll see that they do indeed take different approaches.

FiiO established early market dominance with X3 and X5 so they've got the best name recognition. They're the first ones the majority of headfi'ers look too when checking out new DAPs. Since they been around longer, they're experimental with new tech like Android and modular amps (yes, I know they're not really new tech, just new tech for mainstream DAPs). So even though I (and a few others with some credit) are vocal about our opinion they're not keeping up with Cayin and Shanling as far as sound quantity goes nor are they keeping up with Shanling as far as overall user experience goes, FiiO is still dominant.

Cayin came second and have IMHO focused primarily on nailing down the best sound quality they can get out of their components. I've been very happy with that aspect of their DAPs. Having gotten to experience a couple from beta through final product, I can tell you that they do a really good job with optimizing sound through FW updates. They make bold design choices which can really work (N5, i5) or, well, not so much (N6). Where they fall down for me is the GUI. It's just not streamlined enough. I've offered my suggestions for improvement, but they obviously have their own take on GUI that doesn't quite mesh with mine. IMHO, if they'd come out with N6 + N5 earlier and with improved GUI think Cayin would have stronger market position right now.

Like Cayin, Shanling has been in existence for a long time. They're just the new kids on the block when it comes to DAPs. The original M3 had bold design, kinda like a giant Zippo. The thing was a brick and had an antique feeling GUI, but it did sound really good and was the DAP of choice for Suyama-san (fitears iem designer), which says something for people in the know. I mean, Suyama-san commissioned a picture of his favorite anime character listening with M3 plus FitEar IEM. M2 and M5 modernized the look (both physical and GUI) and scaled down the size but still retained a sense of uniqueness. M2s and M3s again changed the design language in a similar way as the original M2 and M5 by scanning down the size further and modernizing the physical design. GUI remains basically the same, which is a good thinking because it's great. With all the praise in healing on Shanling, you're writing why they're not more popular...

Two things have held Shanling back. The first is a rookie mistake. They released specs early on which indicated that their DAPs had high output impedance. That didn't make sense to me because I was measuring IEM and saw no difference in FR Curves for multi-BA IEM. Shanling did figure out that they weren't using the same measurement techniques as other DAPs makers and issues correction which indicated that most of their DAPs have very low output impedance. That initial faux pas scared off many reviewers, so Shanling why given much notice on HeadFi. The second thing that's held them back is market dominance primarily by FiiO and then secondarily by Cayin. It's tough to be the new kid on the block. However, I think M1 started to change that. It was small, cute, had good GUI, and was a great transport for higher end DAC/Amps like Mojo. People took a chance on it and liked it, and I think that had a halo / spillover effect on the M2s and will continue that with the M3s. People are starting to take notice, and IMHO the future is bright for Shanling.

Just my two (very rambling) cents...

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #72 of 2,219
I should have wait and not bought the FiiO X3III then, I really think to send it back to shop ^^ The Shanling M3s sounds like the one to get at this price point... So much bugs on X3III, its firmware is a hassle bug itself... And despite the fact that hardware is damn good on FiiO products, the software GUI is not so good and bugs are not corrected from many products generations now... How can they put a new device on the market with so many bugs and without functionalities you could find on precedent version ? I feel like a beta tester with a prototype in my hands... And no APT-X, no USB out, no DSD256,DxD, etc... I think my next buy will be Shanling's brand because FiiO rests too much on its laurels... If they don't take in consideration customers satisfaction and feedbacks, they will soon disappear from competition... And I can't stand read someone from FiiO talking about they don't have resources to dev a good firmware because they are not Apple or Samsung with an engineer armada ! This is nonsense and ridiculous !

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #73 of 2,219
I should have wait and not bought the FiiO X3III then, I really think to send it back to shop ^^ The Shanling M3s sounds like the one to get at this price point... So much bugs on X3III, its firmware is a hassle bug itself... And despite the fact that hardware is damn good on FiiO products, the software GUI is not so good and bugs are not corrected from many products generations now... How can they put a new device on the market with so many bugs and without functionalities you could find on precedent version ? I feel like a beta tester with a prototype in my hands... And no APT-X, no USB out, no DSD256,DxD, etc... I think my next buy will be Shanling's brand because FiiO rests too much on its laurels... If they don't take in consideration customers satisfaction and feedbacks, they will soon disappear from competition... And I can't stand read someone from FiiO talking about they don't have resources to dev a good firmware because they are not Apple or Samsung with an engineer armada ! This is nonsense and ridiculous !

Well, maybe it seems they lack a bit of planning and skills about synergy (don't know for sure, I haven't been digging deeply into Fiio's threads), because, you see, Shanling is surely reusing a lot of code between M2s and M3s, because UI is the same. They have made something that works, based on Linux and Hiby, and is now very polished. Hiby Link is also a great plus, making the lack of a touch screen almost irrelevant. I still have to see initial impressions from reviewers, but M3s is growing on me, as I want a player with best sound/price ratio, and that seems to be the approach taken by Shanling.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #75 of 2,219
130mW@32 Ohms: seems a lot less than both m3 and m5.

Probably a comparison with original M3 is not fair, as this one was their first DAP, and now they seem to have a roadmap for development of portable players, as well as a clear vision of what they want to offer to each market segment.

I think there are also 2 factors, among many others, that greatly influence design decisions. The first is, in the beginning, a general principle: in portable gear, everything comes at a cost. This, applied to output power, puts also into the equation battery capacity and weight. Compared to Fiio X5 3rd gen (186g) and the original M3 (220g), 135g is really lightweight. Take also into account that balanced output gives a respectable 230mW, but taking down battery life to max. 8 hours.

The second factor I think is more important from a market perspective. If you, as manufacturer, address your product towards an audiophile user with portable use requirements in day-to-day, most of them will use IEM, that seldom require a lot of power. In this context, 130mW is probably more than enough, also for portable headphones. If battery life is near the promised (in single-ended) 13 hours, I think the whole picture will be really good.

EDIT: looking at the X7 Mark II specs, the retail module gives 150mW in single-ended (400mW in balanced)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back