Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Mar 25, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,621 of 2,219
Interesting, majority of people says M3s is the most neutral from our players. What headphones/IEMs were you using?

Impact of firmware on the sound? If you ask our engineers, they will tell you that unless somebody plays with digital filters(or add new ones), there should be no change. Of course, audiophiles might see it differently.

I've used M2S and M3s with Rose BR5 MK2 and AK T8ie MK2
The only difference is that on the m3s i've oly used the balanced output because it's the only reason why i've switched from m2S to m3s.

Now i use an Hiby R6 and i bought an iFi IEmatch to ear how the 10Ohm thing works.
I wonder how M3s + iematch works ? Maybe i'll try in the future.

About the reletion between sound and firmware, for long i had the same view as your engineers but since i had a Fiio X7 i've changed my mind. I don't knox if it's spefific to Fiio bur on the X7 all firmware don't soud the same at all.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #1,622 of 2,219
hi, i had my m3s for almost a month. yesterday suddenly my wheel didnt function properly. it cant "click" whenever i try to press the button wheel. but for the volume scroll, it still normal. how can i fix it by myself? since it wasnt major error i think.

btw, 2 or 3 weeks ago, the player slips from my hand, and it scratches a bit outside. i hope my problem is not from this accident. i love my m3s as u can see in my instagram @portapro ,hehe. i hope there's solution for my minor problem with m3s. cheers.

With some units, there is a defect in the switch assembly for the scroll wheel. The usual failure mode is that it gets stuck in the clicked-in position and can't be un-clicked. You should contact your seller if your unit is/may be affected.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,623 of 2,219
@Shanling, my unit had this defect. I just had it for a month. But there's scratches like in the picture bcoz it fell before. Is the warranty void?if not, so i can ask for a replacement from my seller?
With some units, there is a defect in the switch assembly for the scroll wheel. The usual failure mode is that it gets stuck in the clicked-in position and can't be un-clicked. You should contact your seller if your unit is/may be affected.
10088897.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,624 of 2,219
Dear team Shanling, please add adjustable scrolling speed for the large wheel. I'm on Firmware 1.30, and it is so easy to scroll one past the option I want to select. Most of the time I have to gently scroll back by one menu item to pause on the one I want. Would be great to have adjustable speed, same as mouse wheel scroll speed in Windows.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,625 of 2,219
Waiting for M5s.
I burned my WM1A in over 350 hrs and still sold it. I agree that the Sony DAPs are mostly about hype, although they are well built with great software. The sound just didn't live up to the hype imo.

Re the WM1A i think the only thing it has on the M3S is width/depth of the soundstage. In terms of clarity, note weight, timbre, layering, and sounding natural, the M3S was better. It also drives my higher impedance headphones, which the WM1A failed at though it supposedly has more power than the M3S (another aspect that comes down to implementation). When I'd switch between the two DAPs the stark contrast became apparent quickly. It's not like differences take all of this time to notice.
I was thinking of an upgrade for my current m3s, but since the sony's are out of the question (even for the latest ZX300?) is SP1000 the way up? or maybe opus #2 ?

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #1,627 of 2,219
DX200, X7mkii, Hiby R6, Opus #3, Opus #2, there are many options, depending on your budget
Sorry maybe I didn't include more details. I hate android DAPs. Maybe I should wait for M5s. I heard it's already under testing... internally.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,628 of 2,219
Now i use an Hiby R6 and i bought an iFi IEmatch to ear how the 10Ohm thing works.
I wonder how M3s + iematch works ? Maybe i'll try in the future.

Since M3s already has low output impedance, it has pretty much no negative effect on sound of IEMs (sensitive to this issue) and doesn't need to be fixed by adding adapter.
Connecting IE Match will in my opinion only lower quality of the sound, since it's not needed and ads another element to the audio chain.

@Shanling, my unit had this defect. I just had it for a month. But there's scratches like in the picture bcoz it fell before. Is the warranty void?if not, so i can ask for a replacement from my seller?

We will sort this through PMs :wink:

Maybe I should wait for M5s. I heard it's already under testing... internally.

There is always something new coming to the market. And it's definitely time to bring some new flagship to the battle...

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 26, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #1,629 of 2,219
There is always something new coming to the market. And it's definitely time to bring some new flagship to the battle...
Already so impressed with M3s, I shall wait for M5s, and probably will pre-order them for early adopters.. maybe even review them.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #1,631 of 2,219
Sorry maybe I didn't include more details. I hate android DAPs. Maybe I should wait for M5s. I heard it's already under testing... internally.

M5s should be interesting once it is out!

Hard to find something without Android, but you can always find a DAP with very good Android implementation, and I heard that Shanling is doing ab awesine job lately

Can't wait to share more news :)

Since M3s already has low output impedance, it has pretty much no negative effect on sound of IEMs (sensitive to this issue) and doesn't need to be fixed by adding adapter.
Connecting IE Match will in my opinion only lower quality of the sound, since it's not needed and ads another element to the audio chain.

We will sort this through PMs :wink:

Can't wait to hear more about that flagship!

About iEMatch, on paper M3s seems to have a rather low output impedance, not sure whether it will hiss with anything out there :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,632 of 2,219
I totally agree with your Android point. Android should remain on phones and tablets, not DAPs.

On the other hand, all DAPs so far have been Linux in their firmware, and a customized Android can be just as good, if not better than Linux, it just needs to be optimized for this

Opus DAPs are a good example, they basically have the music app as the main launcher and the main thing of the DAP, it is Android in abilities, and can run apps, like Tidal, but extremely customized to work without an issue if you just want to use it for music.

I trust Shanling will have an interesting offer for us :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #1,633 of 2,219
I totally agree with your Android point. Android should remain on phones and tablets, not DAPs.
glad to know someone agrees with me. Android is.. open source so the cost is low hence a lot of manufacturers use it, but to use an old version of Android alone it's ugly and prone to crash and whatnot battery drain if something goes wrong..

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,634 of 2,219
On the other hand, all DAPs so far have been Linux in their firmware, and a customized Android can be just as good, if not better than Linux, it just needs to be optimized for this

Opus DAPs are a good example, they basically have the music app as the main launcher and the main thing of the DAP, it is Android in abilities, and can run apps, like Tidal, but extremely customized to work without an issue if you just want to use it for music.

I trust Shanling will have an interesting offer for us :)

You realize, of course, that Android pretty much IS Linux? Right? :)

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #1,635 of 2,219
Waiting for M5s.

I was thinking of an upgrade for my current m3s, but since the sony's are out of the question (even for the latest ZX300?) is SP1000 the way up? or maybe opus #2 ?

They should be based on price, but who knows. I don't have experience with those two DAPs you mentioned. Someone else maybe can weigh in on them. I have an R6 on the way I'm looking forward to comparing to the M3S. Hopefully it can provide a nice change up with it's ES DACs. Also waiting on the M5S. Two of these newer AK DACs with a Shanling implementation is a v promising proposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back