Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 1, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #32 of 2,219
And FiiO. Don't forget FiiO. I'm betting M3s will be a slam dunk for Shanling!

The overwhelming impression that I get from the various fiio threads is that whilst the hardware is good, a lot of the time you are beta testing the firmware. Got to say did not like the x5-III when I had it (twice, returned both times). To get back on track with this thread, very interested in the m3s.

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #35 of 2,219
Oh man. Just purchased the Fiio X3 III from Amazon an hour ago. Should I cancel my order and wait for this instead?

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #36 of 2,219
Oh man. Just purchased the Fiio X3 III from Amazon an hour ago. Should I cancel my order and wait for this instead?

If you don't mind the price difference, I would say yes, for sure. I had an eye on the Fiio, but now the only model that could make me doubt (final specs and price in $ still not available) is the N5II, although the M3s ticks my main boxes and, in price/performance ratio, it seems to be a great bang for the buck.

Sep 1, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 2,219
If the M2S is anything to go by, then, yes, by all means, you should get the M3S. I've been very impressed with the M2S thus far, with a solid combination of quality sound, a pocket friendly size and a convenient UI.

I'm eagerly awaiting the time the M3S hits the shelves. Should be another winner for Shanling.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #38 of 2,219

If M3s is gong to be similar to M2s, you're looking at a warmer / smoother signature vs a neutral one, X3-3 is neutral, M3s might be warm.

The other parts of the DAP, like the display and how it works are something else completely though, I think that the mechanics of M2s and X3-3 are very different. If you use, or want to use Hiby Link, Shanling is one of the very few companies offering it at this point.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #40 of 2,219
If M3s is gong to be similar to M2s, you're looking at a warmer / smoother signature vs a neutral one, X3-3 is neutral, M3s might be warm.

The other parts of the DAP, like the display and how it works are something else completely though, I think that the mechanics of M2s and X3-3 are very different. If you use, or want to use Hiby Link, Shanling is one of the very few companies offering it at this point.

Thanks guys, but I decided to go forth with my order. If the X3 III improves on the X3 II's sound even just by the tiniest bit, I know I won't be disappointed. I've owned the X3 II, and its sonical characteristics were already darn good to my ears.

I guess I'm simply a Fiio gal at heart. :smile_phones:

Not to knock on this promising DAP of course. I'm sure it'll be great.

Carry on, gents.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #41 of 2,219
Specs look absolutely great! The player as well btw :) Could have easily been an "M5s".
Either way, both M5 and M3 are fantastic players but M3s should be even better.

At this rate, the forthcoming M5s is shaping up to be a beast!

The overwhelming impression that I get from the various fiio threads is that whilst the hardware is good, a lot of the time you are beta testing the firmware. Got to say did not like the x5-III when I had it (twice, returned both times). To get back on track with this thread, very interested in the m3s.

I didn't say I liked the FiiO gear. I just did it shouldn't be forgotten when considering other DAPs in this price range...

I was completely underwhelmed with X3 X5 v3 when I had it in for audition. It sounded very bland. Dynamics and spatial characteristics were just not up to snuff IMHO. That said, it was a nicely built DAP (besides the volume wheel - yuck) with good feature set. If creature comforts are your gig and trump sound, X3 v3 is a good purchase. If you value sound more and are willing to give up on a touchscreen and apps, then I'd suggest the M3s. But honestly, of your wanting an Android DAP in this general price range I'd wait for N5 v2. My original N5 easily sounds better to my ears than the X5 v3. I can't imagine it will be any different with the N5 v2. Just my rambling two cents...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #42 of 2,219
And FiiO. Don't forget FiiO. I'm betting M3s will be a slam dunk for Shanling!

Yeah, I know they're popular and I'm very curious about their upcoming Q5, but for whatever reason I've always looked elsewhere when it comes to DAPs so I neglected to mention it. HEck, if the M3s is as good as I hope it to be, maybe I can just get that instead of the Q5! LOL

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #43 of 2,219
Hopefully. Still, Shanling's first post in this thread says, "Support up to 256GB." Maybe it'll need a firmware upgrade to handle 400GB.

Shouldn't be necessary. 400GB will work. It is a standard. If 64GB work, everything up to 2TB will work.
M1 and M2s work fine with a 512GB-SD card via MicroSD to SD-apapter.
They just hadn't the 400GB card on the radar when doing their spec descriptions.

My only "concern": Shall I upgrade to the M3s or just keep the M2s for on-the-go and get a future M5s for home use...

Shanling really won me over with their products.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 2,219

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-2_4-43-3.png
    upload_2017-9-2_4-43-3.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back