Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Dec 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #1,306 of 2,219
Hmmm, perhaps I should just exchange mines.

I just sent my player back to Musicteck for this same reason. I think the mechanism is broken on the inside, as like you said it no longer pops back out.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,307 of 2,219
Streaming to BT speakers, the quality of sound is utterly reliant on the hardware within the speakers. The DAC and amp of the M3s is bypassed, and the data is sent to the DAC inside the speakers. So, under this usage, no DAP will sound better than any other. Well... besides the subtle differences in BT tech, like AptX and what have you.

I know this is the M3s section but wanted to reply directly back to @PinkyPowers
I ended up picking up the M2s and got it today. Been playing around with it for a couple hours. I know you said the sound relies solely on the hardware inside the speaker it is being streamed to over Bluetooth, but settings inside my player will affect the end result in the speaker. For example, if I switch the gain from low to high, I get an amazing boost of everything! It sounds yummy. Sorry I’m so noob but if I don’t ask the questions I’ll never know/learn. Ps...the M2s is such an awesome player...I love it! Now I’m totally wishing I got the M3s! :)

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #1,308 of 2,219
I know this is the M3s section but wanted to reply directly back to @PinkyPowers
I ended up picking up the M2s and got it today. Been playing around with it for a couple hours. I know you said the sound relies solely on the hardware inside the speaker it is being streamed to over Bluetooth, but settings inside my player will affect the end result in the speaker. For example, if I switch the gain from low to high, I get an amazing boost of everything! It sounds yummy. Sorry I’m so noob but if I don’t ask the questions I’ll never know/learn. Ps...the M2s is such an awesome player...I love it! Now I’m totally wishing I got the M3s! :)

Some DAPs, the gain setting does effect Bluetooth volume. Some it does not. I think it's all just how the software is setup, and how it's programmed to speak with the receiver. You'll have to ask an engineer about that, because I'm just guessing on that one.

What I said about bypassing the internal hardware is very true. If the DAC inside the M3s is bypassed, which it is when using BT, you can bet your life the amp section is also bypassed. It's physically impossible for it not to be, since the audio chain in every digital player looks like this: DAC>Amp>Headphone Out.

Bluetooth is a digital signal. Not an analogue one. Think about that. :wink:

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #1,309 of 2,219
Some DAPs, the gain setting does effect Bluetooth volume. Some it does not. I think it's all just how the software is setup, and how it's programmed to speak with the receiver. You'll have to ask an engineer about that, because I'm just guessing on that one.

What I said about bypassing the internal hardware is very true. If the DAC inside the M3s is bypassed, which it is when using BT, you can bet your life the amp section is also bypassed. It's physically impossible for it not to be, since the audio chain in every digital player looks like this: DAC>Amp>Headphone Out.

Bluetooth is a digital signal. Not an analogue one. Think about that. :wink:

Can confirm with a 100% certainty, the DAC and AMP chips are bypassed if using BT, it is a digital signal going through the BT module.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #1,310 of 2,219
Thank you for this. I'm able to pop the button back into place. However the button doesn't "pop back out" after depressing it. I'm not even sure if it used to "pop back out" as I've been using the Hibylink feature to operate the dap. What is the mechanism that does this "pop back out" action? I'm hoping it's not done by some spring because if it is I lost it. Anyways Musicteck contacted me and I think they'll be sending me over a new set of the button wheel. Hoping it'll be good as new.

I just sent my player back to Musicteck for this same reason. I think the mechanism is broken on the inside, as like you said it no longer pops back out.

There is this small "button" inside the mechanism, inside unit. If your wheel is not popping back after pressing, it means the inside button was damaged. That's the problem I mentioned previously, of the faulty misshaped part in limited run.

For your case, even a new wheel will still not work, inside mechanism of wheel must be changed. So please send unit for replacement.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #1,311 of 2,219
I'm thinking about a 128GB microSDXC card because I'm intending to buy the M3s in the next weeks. So far I've come across Samsung (EVO Plus 2017, MB-MC128GA) and Sandisk (Ultra A1, SDSQUAR-128G). Will any of these work fine with the DAP?

Dec 14, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,312 of 2,219
I'm using a SanDisk 200gb card so I'm sure 128gb should be fine.

I'm thinking about a 128GB microSDXC card because I'm intending to buy the M3s in the next weeks. So far I've come across Samsung (EVO Plus 2017, MB-MC128GA) and Sandisk (Ultra A1, SDSQUAR-128G). Will any of these work fine with the DAP?

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,316 of 2,219
Hello,

What is pin-out scheme for 2.5 mm balanced out of M3S?

Many thanks.

Standard trrs pinout as used in A&K and a dozen of other daps.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #1,318 of 2,219
Thank you very much - turns out that there are some other devices with 2.5 mm TRRS pin-out that differs from A&K. The latter is R-, R+, L+, L-, while alternative option is L+, R+, L-, R-.

I wasn't aware of any other 2.5mm balanced headphone out termination, unless we are talking about 3.5mm balanced by HifiMan? But either way, M3s has universal balanced termination, so no worries! :)

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,319 of 2,219
Thank you very much - turns out that there are some other devices with 2.5 mm TRRS pin-out that differs from A&K. The latter is R-, R+, L+, L-, while alternative option is L+, R+, L-, R-.

That's news to me. M3s, Cayin N5, N5II, Opus#1 and #2, AK, IBasso... all that I've ever seen use the same pin-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back