Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,651 of 2,460
I truly like new titanium colour on our M3s. And I'm so happy we can bring it to M2s too!

Bought a black unit and thinking about selling this one to buy the titanium gray m2s. It looks so much better than the blue and black m2s. Made me realize that buying too early sucks.

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,652 of 2,460
Opus #2 would be a great example of an Android based DAP. It is highly a modified and you need to sideload Spotify or Tidal but it sounds great. The M2s has great sound and the fact that you can use Bluetooth to connect to a source that has a streaming app is a nice trade-off.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,653 of 2,460
Really? Why do plenty of people keep on buying android daps if that's the case? Could you please enlighten me? I currently own 2 daps that are non android and was thinking of buying an android dap in the future to play spotify / tidal on it.

Because some people have their own strong opinions on the subject. Spotify and Tidal are a great reason to buy an Android based DAP.

Opus #2 would be a great example of an Android based DAP. It is highly a modified and you need to sideload Spotify or Tidal but it sounds great. The M2s has great sound and the fact that you can use Bluetooth to connect to a source that has a streaming app is a nice trade-off.

People keep mentioning this and it would be great, except for that streamed audio is received through SBC not aptX by the M2s and sounds worse than using a $15 Mpow Bluetooth receiver. I was hoping it could replace my Mpow BT receiver at the gym, but sadly it could not. Hopefully future versions will be able to both send and receive BT Via Aptx (better yet atpX HD or something even newer).

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,654 of 2,460
Really? Why do plenty of people keep on buying android daps if that's the case? Could you please enlighten me? I currently own 2 daps that are non android and was thinking of buying an android dap in the future to play spotify / tidal on it.

Personal preference, really. In my case, I like tactical buttons. I dislike having to look at the device to manipulate it (since I use a DAP predominately whilst driving). I don't care about streaming to a DAP; I have a computer that can do that, plus my personal collection of music is on an NFS share when I'm at home. But, as ever, YMMV (and prolly will). :ksc75smile:

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,655 of 2,460
Because some people have their own strong opinions on the subject. Spotify and Tidal are a great reason to buy an Android based DAP.

People keep mentioning this and it would be great, except for that streamed audio is received through SBC not aptX by the M2s and sounds worse than using a $15 Mpow Bluetooth receiver. I was hoping it could replace my Mpow BT receiver at the gym, but sadly it could not. Hopefully future versions will be able to both send and receive BT Via Aptx (better yet atpX HD or something even newer).
M3S is coming this October. It has aptX BT.

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #1,657 of 2,460
Personal preference, really. In my case, I like tactical buttons. I dislike having to look at the device to manipulate it (since I use a DAP predominately whilst driving). I don't care about streaming to a DAP; I have a computer that can do that, plus my personal collection of music is on an NFS share when I'm at home. But, as ever, YMMV (and prolly will). :ksc75smile:

I see. I haven't yet tried an android DAP and would like to listen to one soon. Have tried streaming spotify from my phone (Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge) to my M2s but having 2 devices burning their battery life bugs me as I am frequently on the go and don't want to charge them frequently as they may reduce battery life (thru cylces). Thanks for your input! :)

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,658 of 2,460
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,659 of 2,460
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...alanced-out-aptx-bt-hiby-link-usb-out.859241/

TBH I'm still too noob to understand what aptX and both ways mean. Please check the info from the thread link above. If you have some free time, please help explaining the terms and their uses for me. Thanks

The M2s also had aptX, but that does to transmitting audio (which is probably hope most will use it), but does not apply when the DAP is receiving audio from a source, like your phone. So when streaming audio from you phone to the DAP it will be inferior in sound quality.

This is a limitation of the BT chip, and will likely be the same with the M3s.

I hope that makes sense.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #1,660 of 2,460
The M2s also had aptX, but that does to transmitting audio (which is probably hope most will use it), but does not apply when the DAP is receiving audio from a source, like your phone. So when streaming audio from you phone to the DAP it will be inferior in sound quality.

This is a limitation of the BT chip, and will likely be the same with the M3s.

I hope that makes sense.
So if a DAP say it has aptX BT, usually its only one way, i.e. transmitting from the DAP to, for eg, a wireless headphone. Only when it says 2 way aptX BT then both receiving and transmitting haev aptX tech right?

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,662 of 2,460
So if a DAP say it has aptX BT, usually its only one way, i.e. transmitting from the DAP to, for eg, a wireless headphone. Only when it says 2 way aptX BT then both receiving and transmitting haev aptX tech right?

Well, most DAP only transmit. Only some will receive also, so it's kind of a bonus.

then just built in two? One for transmitting, one for receiving.

That would be great , but it would take up more space in the unite (more engineering & larger size) and be more expensive. I can't really blame manufactures for being hesitant and trying to keep the cost down on something that is kind of a niche market. But many not having the feature but not receiving aptX is really a bummer. other wise my Shanling would get a lot of use (since I stream music often especially at the gym).

The fact that it's even been added is progress, eventually they will both send and receive BT in high quality.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #1,663 of 2,460
Well, most DAP only transmit. Only some will receive also, so it's kind of a bonus.

That would be great , but it would take up more space in the unite (more engineering & larger size) and be more expensive. I can't really blame manufactures for being hesitant and trying to keep the cost down on something that is kind of a niche market. But many not having the feature but not receiving aptX is really a bummer. other wise my Shanling would get a lot of use (since I stream music often especially at the gym).

The fact that it's even been added is progress, eventually they will both send and receive BT in high quality.
TBH I don't really understand why the need of streaming from phone to the DAP :-/ Why don't we just play the music directly from the DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back