Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Sep 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,561 of 2,460
Titanium grey, available october :wink:

tenor.gif

That's nice....... :heart_eyes:

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,562 of 2,460
I just bought my device a few days ago, but I have already experienced several problems.
I started noticing a weird clicking noise whenever I turn the player on and off (clicks twice each time, occasionally click when starts playing songs).
Moreover, there are times when I turn the player on and the player cannot read the TF card (have to eject and inject the card every time to solve the problem).
I have searched many sites and some of them said that the clicking part is normal.
Someone, please explain this to me :frowning2: I'm pretty worried now that I may have got a defective one :frowning2:

There are forums refer to the clicking noise of DAPs as the relays engaging/disengaging and say that it is normal.
Do the M2s really clicks when turning on/off normally?
Give me your opinions guys :frowning2: Thanks in advance :3

I haven't noticed any clicks with mine, but as long as it doesn't do it while listen to music it probably wouldn't bother me. BUT you mentioned clicking when it starts to play a song and the TF card not showing up at times. That just doesn't sound right.

I refer to my original response, "return or exchange". But it's up to you.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,564 of 2,460
I just discovered that Micro SDXC cards can, in fact, go bad. I have a Samsung EVO that just died. It simply can't be formatted. Tried with multiple utilities. Fortunately Samsung has a 10 year warranty on the card and I bought it on Amazon so I even have a receipt. I think Samsung would have honored the warranty even without a receipt but the receipt makes matters dead simple.

Not sure what to make of the clicking noise but it might go away with a different card.

Sep 11, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #1,566 of 2,460
So after a few weeks usage I have to admit that there is nothing I really can complain about it. And that is something very unusual for me....
Great DAP, very happy with my purchase. Still probably upgrading to M3s in order to try balanced.

Only small issues which might be worth to look in for future FW from my personal perspective:

1) Consider battery indicator to be changed to percentage
2) cover artwork to be resized properly instead off being cut off at all sides
3) Album shuffle mode (where albums are chosen randomly but the tracks in the albums are played in correct order)
4) Ignorig prefixes "The" and "A" for alphabitcal sorting

All of these are by far no deal breakers for me, just convenience issues.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,567 of 2,460
Sep 11, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #1,568 of 2,460
Yes, but there was a lot of confusion with M2, M3, and M5 because Shanling used different testing and/or reporting methodology than other DAP manufacturers. This resulted in much higher output impedance being reported on product release. Once Shanling started using the same testing methods as other DAP manufacturers, corrected output impedance values were released which were much more in alignment with other DAPs released at that time. Unfortunately, the earlier, incorrect information stuck in people's minds even though the corrections were posted here on headfi numerous times. This led to many people avoiding what turned out to be excellent DAPs.

The only one that didn't drop to 1ohm or below was the M2, which is around the same output impedance as the M2s. I have buddies so tried M2 with their hybrid or multi-BA IEM and didn't like the results because frequency response was noticeably altered. In the other hand, I have some other buddies who ended up preferring their hybrid or multi-BA IEM with M2 because of the alerted frequency response - feeling they for a boost in bass response, clarity, etc. To each their own.

For my part, I'm lucky to have access to many IEM and have a quick & dirty measurement rig for IEM, so I can help people out by showing them FR curves with a 1ohm OI DAP vs M2 or M2s with ~5ohm OI.

And the Shanling M2 series are by no means the only DAPs with higher OI. For instance, Soundaware DAPs have ~10ohm OI...
Hi there, sorry for digging this up, but I'm deciding a DAP for my upcoming Harmony 8.2. My choices are Cayin N3, Shanling M2, M2S, and the upcoming M3S. I know that M2 and M2S have relatively high output impedance for BA drivers IEMs, but @PinkyPowers only confirmed the issue with M2, but not with M2S in his review here http://theheadphonelist.com/over-so-small-a-thing-a-review-of-the-shanling-m2s/3/ . Basically I just want your confirmation that the output impedance of M2S will alter the FR curves just like M2. Then I can make my decision better between N3 and M3S. Thanks

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #1,569 of 2,460
Yes, but there was a lot of confusion with M2, M3, and M5 because Shanling used different testing and/or reporting methodology than other DAP manufacturers. This resulted in much higher output impedance being reported on product release. Once Shanling started using the same testing methods as other DAP manufacturers, corrected output impedance values were released which were much more in alignment with other DAPs released at that time. Unfortunately, the earlier, incorrect information stuck in people's minds even though the corrections were posted here on headfi numerous times. This led to many people avoiding what turned out to be excellent DAPs.

The only one that didn't drop to 1ohm or below was the M2, which is around the same output impedance as the M2s. I have buddies so tried M2 with their hybrid or multi-BA IEM and didn't like the results because frequency response was noticeably altered. In the other hand, I have some other buddies who ended up preferring their hybrid or multi-BA IEM with M2 because of the alerted frequency response - feeling they for a boost in bass response, clarity, etc. To each their own.

For my part, I'm lucky to have access to many IEM and have a quick & dirty measurement rig for IEM, so I can help people out by showing them FR curves with a 1ohm OI DAP vs M2 or M2s with ~5ohm OI.

And the Shanling M2 series are by no means the only DAPs with higher OI. For instance, Soundaware DAPs have ~10ohm OI...
Holy cow I just realized it was you who already replied to me in the M3S thread :))) So M2S doesn't have much alteration? But I guess going for N3 or M3S will be safer right :-/

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,570 of 2,460
Holy cow I just realized it was you who already replied to me in the M3S thread :))) So M2S doesn't have much alteration? But I guess going for N3 or M3S will be safer right :-/

No worries, bro. I didn't find either M2 or M2s alter the sounds too much. It's a couple dB there and there at the most. Typically it decreases bass slightly and increases treble slightly. Gives the impression of added clarity. Some are more sensitive to it than others. If you're worried, sick with N3 or M3s. Or you could always try to find a deal on a Shanling M5 or Cayin i5. Or you could wait for the upcoming Cayin N5ii or Shanling M5s. Or you could go completely off the deep end like me and get Revamp Acoustics P1. So many choices...

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #1,571 of 2,460
No worries, bro. I didn't find either M2 or M2s alter the sounds too much. It's a couple dB there and there at the most. Typically it decreases bass slightly and increases treble slightly. Gives the impression of added clarity. Some are more sensitive to it than others. If you're worried, sick with N3 or M3s. Or you could always try to find a deal on a Shanling M5 or Cayin i5. Or you could wait for the upcoming Cayin N5ii or Shanling M5s. Or you could go completely off the deep end like me and get Revamp Acoustics P1. So many choices...
I really hate it when there are so many good choices :frowning2: I'm a Libra and its really really really hard to make a decision like this. I'm using Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox so going back to screenless ones like P1 might be too much to cope with. My current most preferred choice is 2nd hand N3, since I already spent nearly a grand on the CIEM and Ares II calbe. Thanks a lot for your help :D Btw, do you have any reliable link for me to read and learn about how multibit chips are different from other normal usual DAC chips?

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #1,574 of 2,460
Not sure..but I believe not only people, also some MultiBAs are more sensitive to high output impedance than others.
When I got my JH13v2 I asked Andy Regan from JH Audio and he told me their IEMs are basically designed to work
properly with any source. Well, I have wooden ears anyhow and can't describe sound very well. I only know whether I like it or not.
Using M2s mow with Etymotic ER4XR which pairs pretty well, but am very curious to try the Etys balanced on the M3s soon...

Sep 12, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #1,575 of 2,460
Noob question: all these DAPs can be used as external DAC for my laptop/PC right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back