Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Apr 4, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,536 of 3,480
FYI, I ran the M1 on Bluetooth through my iPhone 6+, and my Garmin Vivoactive HR+. My FLC8S were in the M1, so I guess it was the DAC...Running Tidal, I could control start/pause/volume/FF/Rew from my Garmin.

It was pretty cool, and worked flawlessly on my run. I hate to see this little gem leave...wonderful intro DAP, with the trademark Shanling sound. Good extension, slightly warm, full, able to handle MOST complicated songs, easy to run; and affordable...Move over iPod, this critter ROCKS!

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,538 of 3,480
So....a perfect match...albeit not the most "portable". The M1 hooked straight into the Meze 99 Classics. No additional amping (is that a word?) needed.

Just got my 99 Classics today and plugged them into my M1....wow, plenty of juice for these very efficient headphones......love the sound of the Meze's also. If you like "warm" leaning headphones (although not as warm as the NAD Visio HP50) then give the 99 Classics a try.....color me impressed.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,539 of 3,480
Just discovered that this thing is also a solid portable wireless audio receiver,What this is f*king great! This is a nice little wireless converter for my wired headphones. M1 you surprise me

Yeah, bro. That's what I've been saying all along. M1 is a very flexible little DAP!

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,540 of 3,480
I recently bought the Shanling M1, and so far I have loved it! However, I am currently experiencing severe technical difficulties relating to the display not working. Audio still plays and I can scroll through the menus and select things in order to play, however I can't see anything on the screen. The backlight works but the display won't display anything, it'll only light up. Does anyone have any advice or methodologies on fixing this issue?

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,541 of 3,480
  I recently bought the Shanling M1, and so far I have loved it! However, I am currently experiencing severe technical difficulties relating to the display not working. Audio still plays and I can scroll through the menus and select things in order to play, however I can't see anything on the screen. The backlight works but the display won't display anything, it'll only light up. Does anyone have any advice or methodologies on fixing this issue?

For what I recall from this thread I haven't seen anyone reporting a similar issue :|, based on your description it seem you have a defect unit.

@Shanling do you have any internal reports like the one above?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,542 of 3,480

You might want to try and reflash the firmware.

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,544 of 3,480
  How do I do that?

Well it might be a stretch because you can't see anything.  You would have to go to shanling's website and download the firmware then extract it on your computer.  Then put the file on the root directory of your sd card.  Then from there you'd have to go to system settings (1 click counter clockwise with the wheel then depress the wheel).  Then 1 click counter clockwise again and press the wheel.  That should flash the firmware you put on your sd card.

Apr 7, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,545 of 3,480
Has any one on this thread had any luck installing and using a Shanling USB driver (to allow the USB DAC function) on Windows 7 (64-Bit)?

I've tried several different times (and ways) to install / update the driver, and always end up seeing this in the Device Manager - Shanling Audio Device : This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Is the driver or the M1 picky about which type of USB port (2.0 or 3.0) it's connected to?  The USB connections on my PC can be changed, but they're not too easily accessible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Take Care,
David Baldock

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,546 of 3,480
Could anyone that's pairing the M1 with a Mojo confirm whether Tidal streaming works when in Offline mode? I'm very close to buying an M1 and would like to be able to stream my Tidal Offline content when I don't have wifi/good signal

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #2,547 of 3,480
Could anyone that's pairing the M1 with a Mojo confirm whether Tidal streaming works when in Offline mode? I'm very close to buying an M1 and would like to be able to stream my Tidal Offline content when I don't have wifi/good signal

Ill try it later and get back to you. I always stream tidal from my phone to the M1/Mojo. I would think it wouldn't matter because it your phone can play it, it should Bluetooth it as well.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,548 of 3,480
Has any one on this thread had any luck installing and using a Shanling USB driver (to allow the USB DAC function) on Windows 7 (64-Bit)?

I've tried several different times (and ways) to install / update the driver, and always end up seeing this in the Device Manager - Shanling Audio Device : This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Is the driver or the M1 picky about which type of USB port (2.0 or 3.0) it's connected to?  The USB connections on my PC can be changed, but they're not too easily accessible.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Take Care,

David Baldock

Hey @Shanling. I have had to help a few people out on this issue for the UP. I know David B. has good technical chops.
I think (well know really) that the install file for the UP Windows driver is broken. The possibly is true also for the the M1 though I have never had problems with that.

David; try the USB driver for the M2. Turns out that Shanling uses the same driver for all its units. The good news is that you can plug any Shanling device into your Windows PC and it will work. That is how I got the UP to work.

As a general rule with USB driver issues it is never a bad idea to try a different cable or port.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,549 of 3,480
Picked up an M1 today. Still struggling to quite understand how this rig can sound so amazing. Everything worked easily straight away, no problems at all and plays all my HD files. So basically I'm very impressed with the M1 - exactly the kind of cheap, small desktop file player I needed for my Mojo. Apologies for the poor image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back