Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 25, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #901 of 3,480

Indeed it was the speed and stability of the M1 that really got my attention. For that to be the case out of the gate is almost unheard of, though it isn't their first dap, it's still to be commended. Look at what Fiio did with the X1ii, and after so much experience accumulated from previous daps, it's not really excusable except to show that their attitude towards software is as immature as their software itself. so I think there is potential at Shanling to have a more serious approach to the total user experience, and not be satisfied just selling pretty boxes, the end users won't be, so neither should the manufacturers.

Apparently X1 II uses a linux-based OS instead of the old RTOS they used on their other products. Don't know why they made this change but in a way, it's their first time doing a fw like this. It was the same with the xDuoo X3 when it came out iirc.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #902 of 3,480

Apparently X1 II uses a linux-based OS instead of the old RTOS they used on their other products. Don't know why they made this change but in a way, it's their first time doing a fw like this. It was the same with the xDuoo X3 when it came out iirc.

The technical reasons do not ultimately matter. The decision to release or not release an unstable firmware to the public is what ultimately matters, and that decision reflects their attitude about both the importance of software and their customers.

New OS or not, they either plan to eventually make it stable or they do not, and they either plan to subject their customers to unstable firmware or they do not. Both are conscious decisions.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #903 of 3,480
@Riolist2 I feel I should remind you this isn't the thread for this conversation.  I keep awaiting random impressions for the M1 to see how long until I break down and have one shipped from Asia, or perhaps hear news of a US seller.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #905 of 3,480
Any news on the upcoming firmware update? I am having some severe issues with Bluetooth with mine, many Bluetooth devices do not connect at all, sometimes the whole Bluetooth seems stuck and I cannot delete any paired devices, had to reset the M1 already several times because of this.

Also has anyone already tried a 256GB card with it? It says 200GB maximum, but I don't know any 200GB cards, 256 would be really great if it accepted them. The biggest ones I have at home right now are 64GB which work flawlessly. But I would love to save my whole music collection at once and have it with me all the time, 256GB should do the trick.

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #906 of 3,480
  Any news on the upcoming firmware update? I am having some severe issues with Bluetooth with mine, many Bluetooth devices do not connect at all, sometimes the whole Bluetooth seems stuck and I cannot delete any paired devices, had to reset the M1 already several times because of this.

Also has anyone already tried a 256GB card with it? It says 200GB maximum, but I don't know any 200GB cards, 256 would be really great if it accepted them. The biggest ones I have at home right now are 64GB which work flawlessly. But I would love to save my whole music collection at once and have it with me all the time, 256GB should do the trick.

Someone did post a few days ago that their 256GB card worked ok
http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/795#post_12948308

Oct 25, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #908 of 3,480

I asked Shanling yesterday and they said they're still working on it. I'm hanging on for the Bluetooth issues to be fixed too. Considering I bought this primarily to use while running but my wireless phones won't connect, I'm not a very happy camper at present.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #910 of 3,480
I asked Shanling yesterday and they said they're still working on it. I'm hanging on for the Bluetooth issues to be fixed too. Considering I bought this primarily to use while running but my wireless phones won't connect, I'm not a very happy camper at present.
wow. I haven't any bluetooth issues with mine I also have samsung 7 edge and connect fine.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #911 of 3,480
My M1 connects great via Bluetooth to my Subaru Outback, PS Audio Sprout and my UE Boom speaker.
The devices should show up on the Shanling. With my car, pairing up is easy because the M1 will show up on both devices but I have to choose Shanling via my car's menu. With the Sprout (an amplifier) it shows up on the M1 device and I manually have to click on it to pair the device. If your device does not show up on the M1, I assume it is not pairing. But if it does show up, make sure that you click on your M1 device to get it started.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #912 of 3,480
My device shows up on the M1, but trying to then connect I just get a 'fail to connect' message. Since others have mentioned issues and Shanling have listed bluetooth fixes in the next firmware description, I'm sure it's a known issue and shortly to be rectified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back