Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,110 of 3,480
When connected to the PC as USB DAC, should the display show what quality input it is decoding?

No matter what quality I play, the display only shows 24bit/44khz.

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,112 of 3,480
Personally find my M1 to work as it was intended...

Exactly, me too!

If one are so kean about getting Rockbox I'd suggest getting a device that supports it, just my 2c......

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,113 of 3,480
Very few devices support it. Even fewer current devices do. None do as well as the Sansa Clip's, before Sandisk ended production.
That's why you will hear Rockbox fans asking for a new player with good SQ.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,114 of 3,480
Very few devices support it. Even fewer current devices do. None do as well as the Sansa Clip's, before Sandisk ended production.
That's why you will hear Rockbox fans asking for a new player with good SQ.

Start studying, learn how to properly port Rockbox, and find a device capable of running it that you enjoy. My understanding was the Rockbox project was rather open source.

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #3,115 of 3,480
Start studying, learn how to properly port Rockbox, and find a device capable of running it that you enjoy. My understanding was the Rockbox project was rather open source.

Very few processors support Rockbox and quite a few people have tried to find a player of moderate quality that will work with it. I only know of one at the moment. It's more money than the Clip with not much better SQ and it's twice the size. Not a big improvement.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,116 of 3,480
I am trying to hook my M1 to an FNB 11 via a USB cable. With the M1 set to DAC or USB modes it sends no data as far as I can tell.
I am using a brand new USB 3.1 cable with the right connectors.

My question is has anyone else seen this and if you solved it please tell me how.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,117 of 3,480
When connected to the PC as USB DAC, should the display show what quality input it is decoding?

No matter what quality I play, the display only shows 24bit/44khz.

What player are you using on your PC? Do you have Asio/Wasapi to go around Windows system mixer?

My point exactly. Software controls hardware. A good firmware can make or break a product. I'm surprised Shanling doesn't understand that.

We understand that and I think we have good firmware/system, I hope one of the better one in DAP world. You don't think so?

Regarding battery life and firmware, that is of course mainly tweaked during development and is one of key points. So any significant improvement is unlikely
And changes to sound by firmware updates? Until you do something big like adding new filters, our engineers will tell you there is no difference between different firmwares.

I am trying to hook my M1 to an FNB 11 via a USB cable. With the M1 set to DAC or USB modes it sends no data as far as I can tell.
I am using a brand new USB 3.1 cable with the right connectors.

My question is has anyone else seen this and if you solved it please tell me how.

Firstly, settings of USB/DAC mode has nothing to do with using player as transport.

Secondly, are you sure it's cable for OTG?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,119 of 3,480
What player are you using on your PC? Do you have Asio/Wasapi to go around Windows system mixer?

Oops sorry not PC, I meant Mac. Running High Sierra with Tomahawk as my player.

Dec 12, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #3,120 of 3,480
I'm having a hard time understanding this obsession with Rockbox, if it was indeed the best thing I'd assume there would be a lot of manufacturers using it. The Rockboxed Clip is a blast from the past and was outdated and outperformed by newer cheaper DAPs years ago imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back